Virgin media are just terrible! - This is long!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I signed up for one of their 3 way packages when I moved to my new address. It was installed promptly although the engineer was lazy and took as many shortcuts as he thought he could get away with when installing causing my broadband to work only intermittantly, our V+ recorder was set up incorrectly causing us to have to loose all our recorded programmes 2 weeks later, and our phone number had been owned previously by many very popular people on dating groups.

So after much arguing, stress and complaints I have cancelled the lot I have agreed to pay for the 2 months of service I had but not to any early disconnection fees. I spent many hours with them as they argued that even though I have had many engineer visits to repair my broadband and tv, and that their on demand services were not paid for so i could not claim that just because they did not work I was not entitled to any recompense and that it was not a misselling of a product.

In my opinion when they say its "On Demand" and advertised as part of the package I ordered it is a miss-selling to me.

Gah I could just keep ranting about the idiots but I think we all know what they are like.

I want my money back :D

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 27/10/07

List of Charges Received 11/11/2007

Prelim Request for Repayment Sent 27/11/07

Received Carbon Copy Reply 01/12/07

Can't wait for my lease to end :-x

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the Sale of Goods Act is worth a look? I've never looked at it in detail but I'm sure companies have a duty to provide products that are as decribed. I doubt they described what you expereienced...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Thought I was only one who had problems with Telewest now Virgin Media!!!!

Haven't even started to go down route of them charging me for not paying by DD.

Been having problems with them for years - but complacency and fact it was cheaper stopped me changing. Finally, did change to BT and Sky, but kept lowest rate with Telewest as was useful to have two phone lines with teenagers and thought about having the TV box moved to upstairs to get better picture on the portables. Even thought about getting man in to route some wires into the children's bedrooms so they could watch a clearer picture too - albeit that in some circumstances we might all have to end up watching the same thing to get clear picture!!!

Then husband had idea that maybe we could have a couple of extra boxes put in the children's rooms so they could watch what they wanted.

Shock Horror I said 'that'll cost us a small fortune! So husband phones up to find out how much it would cost.

'Oh you have rang at just the right time' says Virgin 'We can install two more V boxes for you (installation free) and it will only cost you an extra £10 per month on your bill and we will up your package to Large for free too.'

Wow thought I they must be feeling in a generous mood - or rather desparate to keep their customers after all the losses they incurred after the Sky issue.

Asked husband to double check prices and the rest - didn't want him to have mis-heard what they had promised! They confirmed it all again and so off we went and set a date for these new V boxes to be installed.

First bill came in. Oh My God!!!! £19 for V boxes, charged for Large package and as if that wasn't enough had been charged £24 for loads of films!

On the phone complained, told I had got it wrong their bill was right nothing they could do. Even asked for recording of conversation between my husband and sales staff when he ordered these things. Also changed pin number so no one could possibly order films any more.

Next mth charges the same and more charges for films! How come thought I, I haven't given anyone the pin number and there isn't a chance in hell anyone could've guessed it. More phone calls, changed pin number again. Except that the pin number I had changed it too the previous mth wouldn't even work (so how the hell could anyone in the house have used it????)

Then decided to change phone number - got fed up with having blokes from India phoning late at night trying to sell me everything under the sun despite being ex directory and having call preference.

Could the do that right? No. We had no phone for a week, then could only get incoming calls (not bad seeing as we couldn't even retrieve our new number to let anyone know).

Then they tell us they have given us a business telephone number and that's why the line didn't work properly and so were giving us new number and everything would be fine within few hours. Not bloody so. Another week before they got that right!

Meantime, another bill comes in with full charge for V boxes and Large package and even more films!

Me thinks 'not going to pay this till they get it right'! So they cut our services!

This little episode has been going on since May. Made official complaint 11th July and was told investigation team would get back to me re films within 5 working days. Also they had been wrong about charges for V boxes and Large package and were refunding this and giving us a mth charges free as compensation. Would put this in writing too.

No one got back to me, no written confirmation came. Next mth same charges no refund and more charges for more films.

Rang again finally had to get man to change pin number to something he dreamt up, not tell me even, and also put note on file that the number must not be revealed to anyone.

He also noted all the notes on the system and said he would lodge another complaint and someone would definitely get back to me within 5 working days.

That didn't happen.

Rang again told them I was not going to pay anything till I at least had contact from someone re my official complaints, as had been promised. Gave them 48hrs for someone to contact me. Also told them I was going to start charging them for my time if no one got back to me in that time.

Surprise no one came back. Then week later husband calls they admit nothing has been actioned re complaint would look into it. Meantime if we promised to pay our bill within 3 day then they would put services back on immediately. They put services on within hr. Me? I haven't paid them yet.

Apparently there are loads of refunds on our account that totally wipe out our bill of around £250 but they can't refund these till we pay!

Seems they can't write letters or send emails, as promised more than three times, to confirm and show us what the refunds actually are.

Virgin Media! Don't bloody swear at me!!!!!

As if life isn't stressful enough today. Then you have stupid politicians asking why people are so stressed and have road rage etc etc.

Not that I'm condoning these things in the slightest they totally sicken me. But I would oh so understand if someone were to go and shoot one of the a'holes at Virgin! Think they would list that as a crime of passion and total frustration in other countries!

Only joking here folks. Have actually been very civil with call centre bods (taking view that they are only being paid to do a job and they can't be held responsible for their colleagues mess ups). But someone is responsible!!!!!! And my goodness if I get to that person then they will get the full force of my frustration.

That or I'll just take them to court for mis-selling, breach of contract and anything else that I can find to throw at them.

This really is getting out of hand, is there nothing we can do in terms of the media? If nothing else it could make a splendid strange but true sort of article...

Or a live naming and shaming, that I would pay to see!

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

This really is getting out of hand, is there nothing we can do in terms of the media? If nothing else it could make a splendid strange but true sort of article...

Or a live naming and shaming, that I would pay to see!

The trouble is, the experiences are not unique within the industry. Add to this the acceptance by the OFT (until they change their stance) that non DD price hikes and penalty charges are fine, we'll just have to lump it or fight it all individually.

I remember speaking with a researcher on BBC's 'Working Lunch' pointing out the problem over 2 years ago, and the response was 'but they all do it' - the inference being how can there be a problem if all the firms are 'in step'. The fact I had to give someone I didn't trust access to my bank account didn't raise an eyebrow! (Because of the misnamed DD 'guarantee').

Well I've told them that I will take them to court for all the charges and they didn't seem to care.

• 1 month later...

any updates? on the back of a complaint i had a phone call from virgin today explaining that they wouldnt be refunding my late payment charges. are these late payments covered by the bank charges test case and be set aside if i try and claim them?

Only indirectly. The proper response to VM is that their regulator (OFCOM) is already investigating this practice (and that of higher fees for non DD payments), so until their rule one way or another you are formally objecting to them being applied to your account. The other option - if they refuse to budge - is to make a formal declaration in writing, that you are under the impression that these fees are illegal and unenforceable and you are paying them under duress, however following a positive outcome of OFCOMs investigation you require their agreement for the full repayment of all monies paid or taken in this way, along with the relevant interest. (This puts you in a stronger position should they be told to cease charging).

What we really need is somebody who's credit rating is already shot who could pay everything but the charge and incur 'late' fees. We know these can be challenged anyway, the thing is would such behaviour seem reasonable to a court?

I could give it a shot as I can't credit until I finish the loan I had with my ex (yep we all make stupid mistakes, least I learned from it while I'm still young!!!)

Hmm my last bill has a mysterious £5 credit on it, have e-mailed the one employee I encountered with a brain to question this. If it is a refund I'll have the other lots of £5 back please. (£15 so far).

VICTORY IS MINE!!!!! See below, I particularly like the bit about you shouldn't have had this discount... I'm sure my threat of court action had NOTHING to do with this. Now to get the matter put in the letters page of the local rag :)

Hi

>

>Firstly your new account number is (blank) - we are amalgamating our billing systems so we just have one; this new one is much better than your old one. Trust me !

>

>The £5 GBP was applied to clear the handling charge; at present you do not have a direct debit set up as you know and I had applied a discount to your account to cover this and give you reduced monthly charges. So you will continue to see the £5 GBP charge on your account but the £19.50 clears this, etc. YOu should not really have had that £5 credit applied because of this, but never mind.

>

>Please just remember that the charge will show but the discount I have arranged will clear it. Our procedures mean we charge you a handling charge (or non direct debit administration charge) if you do not pay by direct debit; I know you don't agree with this which is why I reduced your monthly charges.

>

I don't know why this has cheered me up so much, it could be the whole attitude or no, aboslutely not, no way, we cannot refund this charge. Definately not (and I the company director so there!).

Do not back down, stand up for your rights wherever possilbe (or even if it is not a right but just seems unfair). I wisht here was someway I could do this for a living and help other people...

• 1 year later...

And so it begins again, this month my statement shows the charge but no goodwil gesture to cover it. I'll write to them once more and this time I'm going to get this in the papers if I possibly can. I simply don't beleive that it costs them £60 a year to accept my bill payment each month. I doubt a cash payment would cost them anything like this, anybody know if I can take a matter like this to OTELO?

I'm out to cause maximum cost & hassle to them because I simply don't buy thier assurance that they have calculated the charge because they deny the customer access to this information.

Wow! At least you get a response for your complaints, I've only got too wait another 2 weeks before I can escalate my complaint to Ofcom, Consumer Direct, and Trading Standards. I have sent VM 3 Letters, one of which was to the Manging Director of customer services, and over 12 emails to their non existent customer services department. I have had absolutely no reply just the standard computer generated emails "we are looking into your complaint we will get back to you shortly, normally within 3 days"

Pull the other one, at this time of year it's got bells on!

They have to be one of the most irritating, infuriating, and unprofessional companies I pay. They couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery, and are as much use as indicators on a submarine!!!

Still, the longer they ignore me the cheaper my bills will become, because of their incompetence I am going for "FREE" TV and Broadband, but if they won't agree, I'll gladly accept 50% off for a year!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 4 weeks later...

Keep me posted on your progress.

I suppose getting the charge covered by a 'goodwill gesture' for a year isn't bad going. I've once again written to them saying I'm actually considering setting up a DD again as the bills have been accurate for some time (a truly astonishing feat I'm sure you will agree). At the same time I have put in some straight forward statements and questions like

A) You insist it costs you more than £60 to accept my payment I pay from my account to yours with no manual intervention - how is this possible?

B) You insist you have calculated this cost and it comes to more than the charge yet you refuse to share this information. It is not surprising customers do not accept this

C) Even if I accept that it DOES actually cost you this amount to process my payments what concern is that of mine?

I'm going to go all the way with this to cause them maximum time and money. It is the principle of the thing, you factor in your costs when setting your prices, not try to penalise customers who don't pay in the 'right' way. Especially when your prefered payment method amounts to you taking whatever you want, whenever you want.

I would much prefer to pay a set amount like people do for gas and elec and clear any excess.

Its all thier fault anyway if they could actually bill correctly there would have been no problem. Idiots.

I don't want to say too much at the moment (I'll give a full account once I'm better placed) however ever since VM refused to credit the monthly non-DD fees, I was readying to take htem to court in en effor to prove that it didn't cost them £60pa to process my electronic payments.

Just before I received my 12th uncredited bill, I received a letter from the customer service manager (non-personal) saying that they had identified a billing error and that I was "not being charged for TV". The letter went on to say that the error was wholly theirs, and that not to worry, my next bill would show the correct amount, and I wouldn't be asked to pay for any pervious unbilled services.

Now, I checked, and I've been billed for TV since 1996, so that was an error for a start. Asking CS what my revised monthly bill would be, I was told it would go up from £68 to £82pm. I told them that wasn't on, what had been changed. I was told that since I had the V+, I was being given a £15 discount for having a second box, and this was an error (???).

On being transferred to Retentions after saying I was off - the deal offered was this. Same phone, TV XL and BB package as before, but at a non-introductory rate of £57pm (around £10pm LESS that my 'old' tariff). I was also told that as I had been a 'good payer' even though not paying by DD, the fee imposed for not paying by DD was being revised, from £5.00pm to £1.50pm (I'm still waiting to see this on a bill).

So, it appears the DD fee is back as a 'negotiable' item once more. As soon as I get the documentation, I'll be calculating the total amount paid in these fees and seeing repayment, on the basis that their original application of the fee was punitive, and that subsequent (reduced amount) demands are still penalties on those who chose to control their own financial affairs.

More when I have it!

Phew - glad I didn't stay with VM. As soon as they took over from NTL and wouldn't play ball with Sky to get all the channels NTL had, I took them up on the opportunity to cancel the contract without any penalties. Been happy ever since with Sky/Sky telephone :D

Erm Sky have a similar charge I believe it is £4. All are rip-offs, the costs incurred by a business are no concern of the customer.

Early update I've recieved a slightly more pleasent looking letter which is better than the holding letter I got last time. Somebody tried to ring several times this morning as I was setting off for work. No point discussing it on the phone as I want proof of whatever they say.

Response was faster though, I look forward to discussing this ridiculous charge further.

We'd been paying well over £70 a month until we demanded that they either give us a much better deal or we wanted to finish with our contract, we even got talk mobile service thrown in for £1.50 a month.

Unfortunately it's getting very close to me demanding they give us a rebate or take everything away, we've been having big problems with our TV & internet been off due to faults, this has happened 3 times now, & it's affected the whole of the Leeds area. When you ring them, all you get are people you can't understand (damn Call centres), & when you ask them why it keeps happening, all they do is ignore by asking other questions or giving you an answer they've been versed in. Virgin Media is rubbish these days. :mad:

--------------------------------

If you approve of my Post, please tip my scales.

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

Any advice or opinion I give, is what I have learnt from CAG, If in doubt, please consult a professional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]