NEXT Account I Just Want To Close It!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4665 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anyone had any trouble trying to close an account with Next Directory? I called them twice back in March to close the account which has been inactive for 2 years but have recently discovered was still open with a £3600 credit limit.

I was told on both occasions that it had been closed but I can still log onto it online and access the selfserve number by phone. When I asked if I can have a letter confirming the closure I was told that they do not send out such letters.

I wrote them a very strong letter stating that I want the account closed and confirmation that this has been done.

I received a response a couple of days later stating that they are sorry I want to close the account (not that they had actually done it) and thanks for my custom.

I decided to check again to make sure it had definitely been closed and it is STILL open and we are now in May!!

Can anyone let me know if they have had the same or similar problem with Next and if so what you did to resolve it?

I would now like to take this further but am unsure of the best way to tackle this as they have not responded to my request either by phone or in writing.

Any advice would be much appreciated

I can't help with that particular problem, but I don't trust Next Directory either.

I wanted to order some Next maternity clothes online because our local stores don't sell them. I didn't want to open an account, I wanted to pay the money upfront and get my clothes. No credit, no account, no hassle. Or so I thought.

I called to order the clothes because you can't order online without opening an account. They started asking me lots of questions and when I asked if they were doing a credit check they replied that it was company policy to carry our a credit check, even if you were not applying for credit. They hadn't asked me for permission to do one either.

Needless to say I didn't bother ordering from them. I can't believe they are so cheeky as to credit check customers who are paying upfront!

... a little

Mahala is a powerful thing ...

If you like my advice, please click the scales.

All advice is offered informally. If in any doubt, seek professional advice.

Barclays:claiming £908. Defence filed

Simply Be: settled in full

Abbey: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

GE Capital: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

Aktiv Kapital: Failed to comply with CCA disclosure. Debt unenforceable.

If this site has helped you, please make a donation to help keep it going.

I ordered and paid upfront for some bedding with Oxendales (prezzie me mum wanted) it all came and was great

Five weeks later i had a letter advising i had been turned down for an account.

I was livid - i never asked for an account i checked with a credit ref agency and

a 'refused' black mark had been entered.

I printed off all the wording online and there was NOTHING about opening an account or beind checked.

I wrote leter after letter complained and complained and it got me nowhere.

I even wrote to their professional body - nada

It still makes me mad.

Tyger

This is a strange one... I can't decide if they are simply incompetent, or if they believe that leaving the account open no matter what they are told might one day mean you'll spend more money through it.

Either way they are not doing their job.

Having the account 'open' will affect your credit status because other lenders would consider it a liability (i.e. a potential debt of £3600). I think, for that reason, that we need to possibly consider a course of action based on that innacuracy.

I will PM another mod who knows a little more about this kind of subject and see how best to proceed.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I certainly think that there is an issue under the Data Protection Act, as they have a duty to process your data in a correct manner.

I would suggest writing again by recorded delivery, demanding that the account be closed, and that the Credit Reference Agency records be corrected to show that the account was closed on the original date of request.

State that failure to carry out your instructions within 21 days (this should be ample time) will result in action being taken against them under the Data Protection Act. Failure on their part to confirm that your instructions have been actioned will be deemed by you as non-compliance.

At that point I would probably give the IC a ring and see what they suggest. If you are not happy with that then I would commence a DPA action against them. Although if it does reach that point then please let us know, and we will advise on the best wording for your claim.

Thanks for the advice. I will be writing to them again today as advised and let you know how I get on. This is such a frustrating situation and I will be so pleased when I have resolved it.

Will keep you posted.....

I have had similar problems with Next. I currently have a credit limit of £3,600 which seems to rise each month. I have requested that the limit is reduced to £300 for my safety. They have informed me that they are unable to do that even though I only have an £18 balance. I wonder if a credit limit of £3,600 might affect future credit applications if the amount is seen as a liability?

Yes, it would.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I've had something similar with Next.

I have never asked for a next directory.

I've never purchased from Next on-line.

I received a letter from them out of the blue with an Account Statement (:o ) saying I owed them £3.xx for a directory.

I phoned up & they said "sorry, we'll sort it".

I've just had a statement for the account I never asked for now showing a zero balance & an available to spend limit??

I don't want & have never applied for an account with them.... they seem dim to me.

Hope you get your prob sorted with them.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this doesn't seem like a hijack, but I thought you might all be interested as this seems to be the only thread for Next and is just getting going.

This all sounds very familiar to me! After reading this thread, I decided to see if my account was open too and guess what? - still open! It's listed on my Experian Credit Report and I too can log into their website on my account number.

I can't be bothered at this stage to send a letter by Recorded Delivery, as I have bigger fish to fry right now, but taking on board some of the excellent advice from Alanfromderby, I decided to fire off an email to [email protected] and see how far I get. Copy below.

Dear sir or Madam,

Approximately 3 months ago, whilst shopping in Next, I was stopped by one of your staff who invited me to enter a Prize Draw to win a car. I completed the card he gave me and thought no more of it.

A couple of weeks later, a large catalogue arrived at my house. I wasn’t too surprised by this, as I realise when you enter these sorts of competitions, you are likely to receive marketing material as a consequence.

However, a few weeks later, I received an invoice for £3.50 for said catalogue and found that you had opened an account for me.

Rather naively, I entered this competition without reading the card I was completing and so I may have inadvertently agreed to open an account with you, although your member of staff did not mention anything about this, a practice which I believe to be bordering on deceitful.

I telephoned your Customer Services Department and spoke to a lady called Nichole on 06/04/06. I told her I had not intended or wished to open an account with Next and insisted that the account be closed. She said she would remove the charge for the catalogue and close the account and told me to ignore the invoice.

Now, 2 months on, I checked my Credit Report with Experian and I discovered a listing for Next Directory, clearly showing that the account remains open with a credit limit of £250.

Curious about this, I logged into your website and entered in my details and account number and find that indeed, in spite of my instruction to you, the account is still open.

I am therefore asking you once again, that this account be closed immediately and that you contact the Credit Reference Agencies involved to have their records corrected to show that the account was closed on the original date of my request (06/04/06).

This is an issue under the Data Protection Act 1998 as you have a clear duty in law to process my data in a correct manner. You have 21 days during which to comply with my instructions and I shall require written confirmation that this account has been closed.

Yours faithfully,

Jackson1972.

Nat West Visa - £188.05 claimed - partial offer of £140.00 - moneyclaim served 08/08/06

BarclayCard - £200.00 claimed - partial offer of £80.00 - moneyclaim issued 17/08/06

Nat West Bank - £666.62 claimed - moneyclaim issued 21/08/2006

Can I suggest that you call their Customer Relations Department on 0845 741 3315.

They are not the usual mouthpieces that you get on the main number.

CR will give you a reference number which you use when you want to call and give them grief about anything.

They don't like complaints, bend over backwards to help and do actually call you back (too often sometimes :rolleyes: ) to keep you updated about your complaint.

Ask for Veeda, Jaz (manager) or Linda Granger.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update you on my previous post!

2 or 3 days after sending that email, I received a phonecall from a very nice lady at Next. Unfortunately, I was out when she called, but she left a very nice message and was very apologetic about what happened and said she had called because she wanted to speak to me personally, to resolve this matter. She sent me an email stating that the account would be closed immediately and that the credit agencies' records amended accordingly. She also said she would send me some vouchers as a good-will gesture and was very sorry about the "poor service" I had received.

2 or 3 days later I received £15 worth of Next vouchers in the post and the account has been closed!

:) RESULT!!

Nat West Visa - £188.05 claimed - partial offer of £140.00 - moneyclaim served 08/08/06

BarclayCard - £200.00 claimed - partial offer of £80.00 - moneyclaim issued 17/08/06

Nat West Bank - £666.62 claimed - moneyclaim issued 21/08/2006

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm glad i'm not the only one having a problem with this..

I signed up origionally with next to see if I could check how much money was on my gift card. I thought that if I was to try and buy something with it, it would come up with the credit of the card before I bought it. Next thing I know "thank you for your purchases..." uh oh.

Since then I've recieved the item, and taken it back to the shop, so I don't owe them anything. It's taken me ages to find out how to actually cancel my account in the first place, and I think it's ridiculas that you have to go through so many measures just to cancel your account. I am about to send them a letter (If I can ever find out what my account number is >>) and fingers crossed my account is closed soon, because I don't want stuff sent through to me at all. I only really put an account there in the first place by accident, not realizing i'd be bombarded with directories and whatever... I hate how they've made cancelling things so difficult..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4665 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks