• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Spiritgirl -v- Various DCAs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5820 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Oh good grief Spiritgirl. Aren't they annoying? Why can't these OCs just stand up and say we made a mistake. We'll compensate you and learn for the future.

I'm surprised at your IOO response. Responses can be so varied from these official complaints bodies. I think that's why OCs and DCAs risk breaking the regulations, 'cause there is a good chance they'll get away with it.

Don't give up ;)

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SG

I've had the same response from the ICO and a similar letter on more than one occasion from Cap One. As you say they keep sending Terms and Conditions. One of their letters stated we will be sending you our Terms and Conditions under separate cover. I wrote back pleading - Please no more terms and conditions I have more than I know what to do with. I've had 3 lots in total. I have actually put my claim in with the FOS and since this claim went in at the end of May and I advised Cap One I was doing this, I have had no less than six letters from them, saying they were sorry they couldn't help me and the usual waffle. They also stated that they had sent me a true signed copy of a credit agreement. I have written back and said enough is enough they have been advised that the FOS are dealing with my claim and we shall have to agree to disagree on application/agreement. They don't go lightly, I've found that I resulted in being rude and sarcastic which was not the road I wanted to go down.

Good luck with yours but I must say I am finding them very inept and tiresome and they just keep digging themselves in holes.

I've found that I resulted in being rude and sarcastic

:eek: :eek: The very idea!!

Keep pushing suprise, you'll get there eventually.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks Spiritgirl

Good luck with Crap 1, they seem to be a right pain in the ****.

I know I'm a pain in the ****, but could you or Rory have a look at another of my threads MTB v CL Finance for me cos nobody is answering.

I am sure it is a proper agreement but i just need your expert advise before I try and offer a full and final settlement.

Last year I offered Full & Final Settlements to all my creditors, but everybody refused(husband was really ill at the time).

Now he's fine(almost) and I've got a new job and was looking to sort debts out, when I came across you lovely people.

BIG THANKYOU

Alamand

Hi suprise,

I'll have a look at your PM tomorrow (and hopefully answer it as well).

Alamand if you post a link to your thread I'll have a look at it.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Sorry, I messed about trying to do it and copied and pasted. Does it tell you some where how to include a link?

I know i'm not very computer literate yet,I'm getting there slowly.As you can guess i can copy and paste now.

When it says include link,I pressed that, then it said http???, thats when I'm lost.

Sorry

Alamand

Hi alamand

You are best going on a site like Photobucket (registration is free), uploading your stuff on there, and once its uploaded you will see links listed underneath your picture, one of which is a URL link. If you then copy and paste that URL link into a reply on here, it can be clicked on and we can have a look at it. I'm not a whizz on computers either so don't worry, you are not alone LOL. Photobucket is very easy though, I promise you. If you go on there and still have problems pm me and I will try to help you.

Meantime what you have posted looks like it will pass as an agreement to me, as it does contain terms and conditions on the right hand side BUT I would not like to say for certain, I hope someone a bit more knowledgeable can have a look for you!

Guys, I am going to write to Crap1 at the address on their complaints leaflet as follows :-

Dear Sirs

Account No: XXXX

I refer to the above numbered account and my endless attempts to obtain a copy of a properly executed credit agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Despite numerous exchanges of correspondence with your firm since XXXX 2007, and most recently with Ms XXXX, , I am still not in receipt of a properly executed credit agreement.

You have sent to me endless photocopies of an “application form” which you purport to be a “credit agreement” and copies of photocopied terms and conditions which could apply to anyone at all since they are not signed or dated or in any way associated with the account.

I enclose a further copy of my letter dated XXXX to Ms XXXX, advising you of your duties under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The contents of that letter still apply and I await hearing from you further.

Yours faithfully

Then they can (hopefully, but I will not hold my breath!) instigate their "complaints procedure" - after which I will contact the FOS. Whatever happens I am not giving in, and like you Surprise I will just let them keep digging an ever deeper hole for themselves :rolleyes:

Love Spiritgirl x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

Spiritgirl, why are you so reluctant to accept what they have sent you as a copy of the credit agreement?

Rory,

if its an application form it cant be an executed agreement

Eeven the DTI have confirmed this (see PeterBards posts)

Also, if you look at the OFT document on agreement construction, it has to contain the preseribed terms within the signature document (or at the very least make reference to the relevant section - such as "for apr see section 1.3a of your terms and conditions)

If there is nothing directly linking the sig document and the T and C's then they are worthless

Othewise they could pull out a document stating "customer X agrees to give X credit Co Ltd their first born child" and claim that as part of the agreement

I believe someone on the site recently won a similar case, and made a point to the judge by creating a false document stating the credit company owed him X thosands, just to illustrate how if the original document with the original sig is not available the case is hopeless

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Sorry, I messed about trying to do it and copied and pasted. Does it tell you some where how to include a link?

I know i'm not very computer literate yet,I'm getting there slowly.As you can guess i can copy and paste now.

When it says include link,I pressed that, then it said http???, thats when I'm lost.

Sorry

Alamand

At the very least, Alamands "agreement" is improperly executed as it contains info between the title and signature box that is not part of the CCA 1974 requirements and therefore breaks the 'no insterspersing' rule of Consumer Credit Regulations - regulation 2(4) SI 1553

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

if its an application form it cant be an executed agreement

That wasn't my point. My point was that if the creditor state that this is a copy of your credit agreement and supply a document then this is a copy of your agreement for the purposes of the Act and is the document they would have to rely on in court. I would be quite happy if they were to provide me with a napkin with my signature on it as a copy of my agreement. The more unenforceable the copy of the agreement is the better from your point of view.

Hi Rory & ncf

I do know what you mean Rory - in other words why should I bother challenging them further if they are insisting what they have sent me on three separate occasions now (being a badly photocopied application form) is the only "agreement" they have?

I just find Crap1 so irritating like Surprise has said, in that they keep on sending rubbish and insisting that they are complying with my request :mad: Its the principle of it really, they are treating me as if I am too stupid to realise that what they are sending is an application form etc - do you know what I mean?

Love Spiritgirl x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

Hey Spirit.

My - hasn't this thread moved along, so has Hopeful's too. :D

I'm yet to start my thread with regards to my battles with the DCAs only because I have been sidetracked with my bank and credit card claims.

I've also received some of the same "gems" from Crap One as you have. Did you get the "template" letter of your default notice and statement of default? I did it made me ROFPML!

Anyway it's good to see your fighting spirit back. I had a blow yesterday, but I'm feeling better now CapQuest CCJ.

I won't leave it so long before I check in again.

deedee xx :)

My threads

deedee1310 v Abbey, deedee1310 v Capital One, deedee1310 v Halifax Plc, CapQuest CCJ, deedee1310 v Littlewoods & deedee1310 v Smile

If I have been of help in even the smallest way, please click the star and "add to my reputation" :p

That wasn't my point. My point was that if the creditor state that this is a copy of your credit agreement and supply a document then this is a copy of your agreement for the purposes of the Act and is the document they would have to rely on in court. I would be quite happy if they were to provide me with a napkin with my signature on it as a copy of my agreement. The more unenforceable the copy of the agreement is the better from your point of view.

Oops! sorry Rory, got so used to people with the "that cant be possible, you must pay" attitude - sorry!!

As for the napkin bit, the one Cap 1 sent to my wife might as well have been -

A4 piece of paper with her name and address in top left corner, then in the middle about 3/4 down, a sig box with her sig and the words "cca regulated by cca 1974"

roll on court......

:D

Oops! sorry Rory, got so used to people with the "that cant be possible, you must pay" attitude - sorry!!

As for the napkin bit, the one Cap 1 sent to my wife might as well have been -

A4 piece of paper with her name and address in top left corner, then in the middle about 3/4 down, a sig box with her sig and the words "cca regulated by cca 1974"

roll on court......

:D

Seems to be the only way to deal with these people - they are idiots really!!

I can't wait till my September hearing date comes around as they will sure have an interesting time explaining to judge about their antics?

I think the best approach is to have them try to enforce and then contest and counter-claim in respect of the CCA and harassment etc,. if a DCA is involved. If the debt is relatively low they will not want to go to court and given they sell debts at 10-20% there is a good chance of a settlement and include the removal of defaults etc as part of the settlement.

In one of Laiste's posts (which are excellent!) I lifted the following and used them in my letter:

In addition, the Default Notices that you served on me are legally invalid as they both request amounts in excess of the alleged breach of contract. For both xxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxx, the amount requested contain penalty charges which were levied to each of the alleged accounts, and are unlawful at Common Law, under the The Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

So essentially anyone who has been served a default that has an element of penalty charges can contest that the Default Notice was invalid since it was in excess of the alleged breach of contract. Love it..........

Hi Rory & ncf

I do know what you mean Rory - in other words why should I bother challenging them further if they are insisting what they have sent me on three separate occasions now (being a badly photocopied application form) is the only "agreement" they have?

I just find Crap1 so irritating like Surprise has said, in that they keep on sending rubbish and insisting that they are complying with my request :mad: Its the principle of it really, they are treating me as if I am too stupid to realise that what they are sending is an application form etc - do you know what I mean?

Love Spiritgirl x

Hello Spiritgirl,

I know exactly how you mean and how you feel, I have previously argued and argued with these showers of idiots (all companies), who I feel are trying to mislead me, trying to be so clever. because they are certainly not:p where in fact I have now realised they are only digging a bigger hole for themselves:D

I now am so so happy when they confirm that the application form is my credit agreement. I now jump up and down with glee:D I am now learning to channel my annoyance into being one step ahead.:D

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi every one, just finished work.

So is the agreement in post 333 an executed one?, or if it isn't what does it fall down on.

NCF355 states something about Consumer Credit Regulations-Regulation 2(4) SI 1553.

Never heard of that one. Will try and look it up on google.

Thanks

Alamand

Good morning friends

Update on Creation Financial Services Ltd :-

It gets better and better :o

I have received a FURTHER copy of the same application form this morning, a photocopied general terms and conditions sheet dated 2003 which has no connection whatsoever with the application form, and a complaints leaflet for the Financial Ombudsman. This is what they have said in their latest little gem (my bold type...I know the irony won't be lost on you guys LOL) :-

Dear Spiritgirl

Thank you for your letter date XXXX July 2007 regarding your XXXX account.

I am very sorry that your previous request for a copy of your application form was not actioned. I can assure you that the relevant manager has been advised of this matter, and all training needs will be addressed. Please find enclosed a copy of your application form as requested.

We note that you consider you have no obligation to pay. This is not accurate. Your obligation does not cease. We are not entitled to enforce until such time as we have provided the copy agreement enclosed but this is separate from your obligation to pay.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me on XXXX.

I hope this now resolves the matter in full. If you are not satisfied with this response, you have the option to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR. A leaflet is enclosed which gives further details and you must make your complaint within six months of the date of this letter.

Yours sincerely

:rolleyes: I give up...they are totally dense! I shall sit back and wait to see what happens now. Rory, you have given me food for thought earlier in this thread, if THIS copy application form is what they are going to try to "enforce" with then good luck to them - why should I waste any more time on them?

Love Spiritgirl x

if THIS copy application form is what they are going to try to "enforce" with then good luck to them - why should I waste any more time on them?

Love Spiritgirl x

Good on you SG!!:D My thoughts exactly! They are doing just waht Lowell are doing to me, ignoring the facts I point out to them and repeating themselves. No need to waste anymore effort on them, let them cut their own throats!

Stay strong

SA xx