Tv License question....just curious

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think their talk-over was to prove they were worth the money to their employers! :) Back in the late 1960's I could purchase an annual licence that allowed me to re-record music to reel-to-reel or cassette. It was issued by the Phonographic Performance folk and cost 7/6d. So a licence was available. It eventually was discontinued due to it not being a money-spinner for them, but this then gave those that recorded a defence of they would be legal if the PPL had bothered to continue with the licence.

Again, I cannot recall any prosecution for home taping for the last 40 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somewhere I still have the entire wiring diagrams for a TV Detector van.

You mean there was actually something in them? I always thought they were just a scare tactic.

Halifax (current accounts, credit card, old mortgage, secured loan)

thread here

MBNA (three credit cards)

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

they've sold my current account. thread here.

Royal Mail

Claim issued by former employer Royal Mail, thread here.

I counterclaimed and won. They paid in full.

well as a non licence holder due to not using a tv to watch tv programmes then i dont think i will be paying them

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

No, especially when you consider that last year, their income from license fees alone was £3.24 Billion :eek:. Thats £3240000000, a heck of a lot of zeros. Makes you wonder just what they do with all that money!

Add to that another £810 million income from their "commercial ventures"

some of the money is going on 'moving costs' as they are vacating the bbc building i london to go elsewere as they need a bigger space and some of the money will be going to the ppl they are sacking during the move as there new building wont need as many ppl to run.

Then there is also what they tell the govermant is it for like putting everything to digital and making sure all there equipment is digital.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Yes they do. It is not an offence to have television 'receiving' equipment in any of it's guises.

You need to read the communications act in conjunction with what the BBC says. The BBC while keeping within the meaning, add words to give the appearance that there are wider implications.

One such example is the use of the word 'installed'. That makes it look like you cannot have a tv sitting on a cupboard in the corner when it should say 'installed for the use of watching live broadcasts".

You cannot be prosecuted for owning a television, you have to be caught 'using' that television.

Using your senario of the car. The police could knock on your door when you have had a few too many and say "do you own a car" if the answer is yes then they could arrest you even if you hadn't or intended to leave the house.

You must not use the BBC or TVLO descriptions to make your judgement, you must use the communications act.

Also the detuning part is just to assist you. It is not a requirement to disable the receiver to use it just for other than 'live' uses.

I`ll be testing the above owning/recieving argument in court shortly. All communication i`ve received from TVLA states `watching TV without a license/ offence to use TV receiving equipment/` etc, nothing about owning one. The enforcement official today quoted `installing` a TV, but none of the literature i`ve received to date from the TVLA reflects this. Fed up of the harrasment and hoping a court date may put an end to it. If i`m found guilty of not having a TV license for a set i no longer watch then so be it, but i`ll be damn sure to have the TV on 24/7 after that, and won`t be buying a license. I may as well be found guilty of something i`ve actually done, as opposed to something i haven`t.

I`ll be testing the above owning/recieving argument in court shortly. All communication i`ve received from TVLA states `watching TV without a license/ offence to use TV receiving equipment/` etc, nothing about owning one. The enforcement official today quoted `installing` a TV, but none of the literature i`ve received to date from the TVLA reflects this. Fed up of the harrasment and hoping a court date may put an end to it. If i`m found guilty of not having a TV license for a set i no longer watch then so be it, but i`ll be damn sure to have the TV on 24/7 after that, and won`t be buying a license. I may as well be found guilty of something i`ve actually done, as opposed to something i haven`t.

Watching tv is just a generic way of saying it. It does mean watching 'live' television broadcasts.

If your not watching television as it is broadcast then you are not committing an offence.

Have you had tvla knocking on your door?

I too have a TV set that is used just for an XBox (admittedly it is a 'hacked' xbox), and I have since been informed by the TVLA over the phone that I do not need a licence - in fact I actually received a refund from them.

However, I am still bombarded with phone calls and very threatening letters, but I just ignore them.

As yet, I have not had the TVLA at my door, but I don't see why I should allow a stranger into my house and then demonstrate that a piece of my private property is not being used for something they accuse that it is.

I don't bang on their door or write letters to them asking to see their gun licence or failing that demand entry to their private property to see if they are lying.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

to dam rite dave.

If you dont have a tv for watching tv then u dont pay the licence and ignore them.

It's not you they are getting at dave, (unless addressed to you personally). What they can't seem to understand is that their could be a house in this country where someone 'doesn't' watch television.

How could we possibly go through life and not watch Eastenders, the thought is just unimaginable, which is why they assume that everyone in this country watches and those that say they don't are liars.

I think they would like to have a SORN type system such as the DVLA has. If they did ever come up with that orwellian system, then they would have to supply the return postage and envie as I for one would not return it.

Whats the point in watching tv as if you by a TV mag or look on line you can find the info about the weeks tv out.

Watching tv is just a generic way of saying it. It does mean watching 'live' television broadcasts.

If your not watching television as it is broadcast then you are not committing an offence.

Have you had tvla knocking on your door?

Yep, they came a knocking yesterday. Quite surprised the guy actually, by saying i`d been waiting and looking forward to his visit. About a year ago we where caught using a TV unlicensed. Fella at the door says, agree to a Direct Debit now, and there`ll be no further repurcussions. Wife signs the DD form etc. TVLA then proceed to take money out of our account 1 week early, the money is taken from our rent, which makes life difficult so we cancel the DD as we felt they wheren`t acting responsibly and couldn`t be trusted. Days later we a summons, entered a defence on paper (unfortunately not in person) stating why the DD was cancelled, and stating after cancelling we received no other offer to pay it by an alternate means. Defence was ignored, and given £250 fine. Decided on that day just not to bother with the TV. Couldn`t afford to pay for a license and the fine. Bombarded with mail, you MUST pay for a license etc and finally ended with the enforcement chappie yesterday. Explained to him that yes we owned a TV, but that we`d not had it on since the court date, he said the fact we owned one was enough. Made him read the correspondence form his own company stating using/watching a TV, not merely in possession of one and asked him how we could be in the wrong for following his own companies information so nicely provided by letter every week. He was quite stumped and was happy to go away and take no further action. Said he`d be back tho, as it was his job. Pointed out for the next 6 months, our situation wouldn`t change until we had paid off the fine. He still didn`t want to fill in his forms etc and take any action. Asked him to regardless, and he reluctantly agreed. We`ve not used the TV period since the day the fine was levied, and they`ve no proof otherwise. The fact we don`t have one is down to them acting irresponsibly with our money. If a `fair` judge deems we`ve acted illegally just by the fact we `own`(regardless of wether we actually use) a TV then so be it. Gathering up all our letters from TVLA all stating `using a TV` and bank records etc showing them taking funds early for evidence. May not amount to much, and was maybe foolhardy but it has to be worth a shot, after all, your damned if you do and damned if you don`t.

skint and pennyless.

I would have loved to see that. The tv licence guy that comes to my door trys telling me i am wrong. He does not get far as i pretent to call the police he then runs away and i shut the door laughing.

• 6 months later...

having been caught for not having a tv license, (bad boy) ive now uninstalled my tv from my ariel and set top box and just use my tv for dvds and playstation,

only ive been watching programmes through sites like the bbc i player/demand five/itv catch up, surf the channel ect, through my computer,

i dont have a pc/tv card installed,

i was wondering could i still get fined for watching these channels through my pc,

thanks

Yes. If the TV set itself is capable of receiving terrestrial broadcasts then this would have to be removed/disabled with a note confirming this work had been done, would be the only defence. Not having an aerial plugged in doesn't work, as it can be alleged you simply plug in a set-top aerial to view the programmes when you want to watch. Watching non-live feeds on a mobile phone or iPlayer and its equivalents are fine - no licence required.

Sorry Buzby, thats wrong. The tuner only needs to be de-tuned (as a precaution), i.e tuned away from any broadcast stations. It is not necessary to remove the tuner nor have it deactivated or certified by a technician. An offence is only committed if you watch or record programmes as they are being broadcast. Having the equipment is NOT an offence.

With reference to iPlayer and similar services - no license is required.

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.

However, please notify us in writing that this is the case. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

Please write to us including your name, address and the reason you believe that you don't need a licence at:

TV Licensing

Bristol

BS98 1TL.

From TVL website - no reference to the tuner. TVL might send a goon round to check your TV (remember, they have no right of entry without a warrant), but they are not allowed to plug an aerial in, or try and tune the TV.

Robin is correct here Buzby, it has nothing to do with the capability to receive, but the actual reception.

Only if you are 'watching' live broadcast do you need a ticket and you have to be caught doing that, suspicion of you watching live tv because you have a television that is capable or a card in your PC is not good enough.

Afraid your both wrong, as under the Wireless Telegraphy Act, (which is the primary legistlation) the requirement for a licence is based on the ability to receive the relevant broadcasrs. A de-tuned TV can be retuned by hitting the search button, and remains capable of displaying live pictures.

As for this capability being tested, it is - and I spent almost a week in court when the TVLRO had a purge and I watched their tactics. They had to ensure that the inspector had sight of a live broadcast. If the TV was off, then if they had lawful access to the premises (all did, by invitation). They then asked the householder to variously show them how good or bad their picture was - and they obliged. With the offence committed, prosecution can commence. It was clear the inspectors were disinclined to touch the equipment themselves, as it could be argued it was they that created the illegality.

ONLY BY DISABLING THE RELEVANT TUNER can a householder be on solid ground in rejecting any claim from the TVLRO that a licence is required. It is an urban myth that a de-tuned set is not required to be licensed.

i did actually untune all the stations so all you can see is static,

when i got caught the 1st time i didnt know my rights as to letting them in my house, having read that they have no rights to enter unless they have a warrent ill just deny them access,

Buzby.

you are the one that is wrong.

I have asked my FIL who use to work for a electronics company, one of the well known ones, he also helped design and build the first front loading VCR. A turner can be disabled or under the tvl you can just advise them you dont watch tv so until they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that you do, just cause they thought they heard a footy match on tuesday @8pm on your tv it does not mean you were not playing footy on your ps2 or other games console. If you turned the tv on whilest the tvl guy was in your house then u are a mug and as a result should have demanded they bog off until they have a warrent to ome in to the house to view the tv.

Remember Assumpting is the mother of all balls ups.

The tvl company have clearly stated to me on numerous occassion that as i dont use a tv for watching tv then i dont need a licence. So if they are advising ppl they dont kneed a licence as they dont use a tv for anything other than a monitor for a video/dvd player or even a monitor for the games station then it is t licencing that are wrong NOT the customer as they are providing the info not us.

Afraid your both wrong, as under the Wireless Telegraphy Act, (which is the primary legistlation) the requirement for a licence is based on the ability to receive the relevant broadcasrs. A de-tuned TV can be retuned by hitting the search button, and remains capable of displaying live pictures.

As for this capability being tested, it is - and I spent almost a week in court when the TVLRO had a purge and I watched their tactics. They had to ensure that the inspector had sight of a live broadcast. If the TV was off, then if they had lawful access to the premises (all did, by invitation). They then asked the householder to variously show them how good or bad their picture was - and they obliged. With the offence committed, prosecution can commence. It was clear the inspectors were disinclined to touch the equipment themselves, as it could be argued it was they that created the illegality.

ONLY BY DISABLING THE RELEVANT TUNER can a householder be on solid ground in rejecting any claim from the TVLRO that a licence is required. It is an urban myth that a de-tuned set is not required to be licensed.

I thought that part 4 of communications act 2003 and The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 covered this.

Rubbish. You can only be prosecuted for receiving a broadcast, not simply having the capability to do so. In fact you could have the equipment tuned in and connected to an aerial, and as long as you don't actually watch or receive broadcasts, no offence is committed. (Although why you would tune the equipment in if you didn't use it is a different matter...)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Rubbish. You can only be prosecuted for receiving a broadcast, not simply having the capability to do so. In fact you could have the equipment tuned in and connected to an aerial, and as long as you don't actually watch or receive broadcasts, no offence is committed. (Although why you would tune the equipment in if you didn't use it is a different matter...)

The act states that if the equipment is capable and installed/connected then you need a licence even if you dont use it as a tv set.

Communications Act 2003 (c. 21)

In fact you could have the equipment tuned in and connected to an aerial, and as long as you don't actually watch or receive broadcasts, no offence is committed. (Although why you would tune the equipment in if you didn't use it is a different matter...)

This is completly untrue if tuned and plugged into an ariel you have a straight forward offence.

Edited by meshi