Lifeline V Halifax- Confused!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I have sent the letter off today to ask for my statements. I know I need to open a parachute account but can any of you recommend a bank thats going to accept me easily. I went to Nat West just to enquire but they want to see my last 3 months statements. As they show me overdrawn and incurring charges I can hardly expect them to want me as a customer. The advisor at the CCCS told me to open a new account and gave me a list showing which banks they recommended. As Nat west looked to be the one to go for Im now a bit worried that another bank will not take me on as a customer. Has anyone had the same experience and which bank did you find ok.

Thanks.:confused:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive successfully claimed my charges back from Halifax twice and they haven't closed my account.

If you are just after a basic account I can recommend the NatWest step account, you can apply for this online and they don't require any proof of address, or employment its all really easy.

I'm sure someone else will be able to help if you would like an account that will offer overdraught facilities etc, but as I said Halifax are pretty good at NOT closing accounts uptil now.

Good luck

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Don't forget to donate to this site, they gave us the backbone to put up a fight, we've learnt how to reclaim our rights and proved banks are all nothing but........ rubbish <wink>

Hi All,

Just wondering, I have sent off the request and £10 to the Halifax. I know I will have quite a large figure to reclaim but I also have a credit card which I am paying off at a very slow rate which has been agreed. What I would like to know is, if they settle my claim will they take what I owe on the credit card off before paying me.

Thanks

They can do, under the rule of offset, yes. Whether they will or not is anyone's guess, though... The only way they could not do this is if the payments had been set by a court order.

Don't let that put you off from claiming, even if they do, it will be one less debt to worry about in the long run.

I was worried about the Halifax doing this to me, so on my N1 i specified as part of the claim that it must be settled as a cheque - other people seem to have managed to get a cheque back, so you should be ok ;)

fix (vb.):

1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view;

2. to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences that are worse than the original problem.

Usage: "Vista fixes many of the shortcomings of Windows XP".

Just need to let off steam really. Was 11p short in my account last week so the Halifax refused 2 of my DDs. One was for my car insurance. I am already paying agreed minimum payments on a loan and Halifax credit card so they know I dont have any disposable income. Because they refused the DDs they charged me £39 twice which they took out Friday. This made me overdrawn and so today I got a letter saying I need to put £80 in by Thursday or Im deep in it. The car insurance company have also written to say they will try again for the DD on the 15th, but, they are taking an extra £25 for thier charges. I cant put the money in the account to cover it because it will be imeadiately swallowed by me being overdrawn, if I dont put the money in they will bounce the DD again and I will get another set of charges. I just dont know what to do, I havnt got £160 to put in the bank which is what it would take to solve the problem. If i ring the insurance and tell them not to take it they will cancel my insurance or tell me I need to pay in full straight away. I need my car for work, Im just at my wits end. Thanks for letting me rant.

Would just like an opinion on what you guys think.

I have decided to try to reclaim my fees and have sent off the £10 etc. The thing is, we are in debt and have been to see the Consumer Credit Counselling Service who have put together a payment plan for us. We have sent the plan off to our creditors and are waiting a response from them. BUT- we both have a credit card with the Halifax on which we are hoping they will accept reduced payments and my partner has a loan with them which, again, we are hoping they will accept reduced payments. Do you think they are likely to be un-co-operative in trying to help us because we are trying to reclaim charges from them. With our financial situation being the way it is we really need them to be raesonable with us but do you think I may be blowing my chances.

I wouldnt of thought it would have any effect on the reduced payments. And as for the charges, its YOUR money.

I havnt heard of them doing this,

If you are getting help with all your payment plans i would of thought you would be fine.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hi, i am in a similiar position, i am already in a debt managment plan with halifax, but i am movin to the cccs with a better repayment amount, i sent the first letter off 2 days ago, my reclaim of money for charges will not go in my hand, i am doing it to pay off some of the debt i owe them.. thatb is my argument if they start.....

• 2 weeks later...

I sent off for my statements on the 7th Feb and enclosed my £10. I have checked track and trace and my letter was delivered on the 8th. I know I am only half way through the 40 days they are allowed but reading some of the threads it seems that most people get some sort of letter confirming that they have recieved it before the statements are actually sent out. I am just a little worried that I have heard nothing yet. Has anyone sent thier request off since the 7th and already heard something.

A lot of people do recieve a letter, but a lot dont, they can just turn up. But sometimes a nice reminder phone call can help move things along, (not always though..!)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thank you sea sidelady. Would you recommend that I ring them or just wait a little longer. I am also waiting for a reply to a letter I sent them negotiating a monthly payment on my credit card as per the consumer credit counselling service. Do you think that maybe because I am behind with my credit card they are stalling.

Hi 1stlifeline,

My statements arrived about 2/3 weeks after I requested them but that was some time agao & I believe that the poor little darlings have got much busier since then!! :) My claim was filed with MCOL (Court) last Monday as I hadn't received any offers, even after all the CAG letters + 3 phone calls & 2 e-mails!! :( A phone call from you regarding your statement MIGHT speed things up, I think it all depends on who you get on the other end of the phone. Good Luck!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Can someone please clarify a small detail for me please.

I read on here that when you have a debt with the Halifax they can keep your claim and delete it from your debt rather than paying you out.

BUT- when I am reading the 'instructions for claiming' page it does say

'Things to remember' If you have a debt with them ask to be paid by cheque so they cant keep it. This is in the part of the instructions where you add the 8% if you have to proceed to the court stage.

So my question is, do you ask for a cheque only id its going to court or are you in your rights to ask to be paid by cheque anyway.

Thank you

you can ask for a cheque at any stage. there is something called the right of offset tho and if you are overlimit then i would think they could use some or all of the money to pay this ammount off. could someone please clarify this as im not to sure on the rules of offset. however it still stands that you can ask to be paid by cheque

bos~ Data Protection Act sent

~ statements received

~ owed £1766.82

~ prelim letter sent 30/08/2006:D

~lba handed in 14/09/2006

bos Data Protection Act sent

~ statements received

~ owed £1217.86

~ prelim letter sent 30/08/2006:D

~lba handed in 14/09/2006

court date issued of the 17th november

27th oct full offer totalling everything including 8% interest court costs and £10 dpa sar..... one down next to go.

rbs~ Data Protection Act sent off 21/09/2006:mad: