ron14673 vrs HBOS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5931 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks

Been on other sites not connected with recovery of charges. I have a question which you may be able to help with.

I have just received 6years statements from HBOS and calculated the amount of bank charges applied to my account. They are above the £5000 limit for County Court. My question is can I split them and make two claims to keep them within that limit?

Hi Ron.

Yes.

But don't put both claims in at the same time because if seen together the courts will probably combine them. Wait until the first one is settled before claiming the second one.

For more information, spend a few days reading the FAQs and the step by step guide in the library section.

Good luck.

Regards, Rooster.

• Haha 2

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

i've just done a search for you

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=645159

these threads will give you something to read:smile:

welcome along

dx100uk:grin:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

yes you can, however there is a theoretical risk of you being branded a vexatious litigant and your second or subsequent claims being struck out.

Mind you i haven't heard of any body suffering that fate so I'm sure its fine.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi Folks

One would suggest that to be branded a vexatuos litigate, you would have to make several unwarranted and false claims. As my claim or that of any person owed monies by any bank or building society which has levied unlawful and punative charges is fair and lawful then surely I or any other litigate can hardly be described thus.

Ron

One would suggest that to be branded a vexatuos litigate, you would have to make several unwarranted and false claims. As my claim or that of any person owed monies by any bank or building society which has levied unlawful and punative charges is fair and lawful then surely I or any other litigate can hardly be described thus.

Although to my knowledge, it hasn't yet happened in England, it has in Scotland

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Hi Folks

One would suggest that to be branded a vexatious litigate, you would have to make several unwarranted and false claims. As my claim or that of any person owed monies by any bank or building society which has levied unlawful and punitive charges is fair and lawful then surely I or any other litigate can hardly be described thus.

Ron

As a claimant, in principle you are expected to bring a single claim to resolve any outstanding issues. If you bring one claim and then suffer further charges then this wouldn't be the same.

However, breaking a large claim down simply to keep it in small claims court does run this risk.

If you have £10ks worth of charges and break it into 2 x £5K lots the bank could have your second claim struck out on the basis of abuse of process and the fact you should have made a single claim.

Although in the Pearl book recommended by this site, it suggests something along the lines of keeping claims below the £5k threshold isn't grounds for being branded unreasonable, what she doesn't say is that you can split large claims into several lumps to achieve the same objective.

I haven't heard of anyone being put in this position, but it is a theoretical possibility.

Whether the defendant would ask you were put on the vexatious litigator register or not is of course open to debate, they could however ask for second and subsequent claims being struck out simply on abuse of process.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi Folks

If the charges are an on going problem and being punative in nature then surely applying for the return of other charges would not make us vexatious litgators as the banks continue to act in a vexatious manner themselves?

Ron

There's a difference between splitting up a historical claim to bring it under £5K (could possibly lead to a claim that you're abusing the process) and starting a later claim based on new charges imposed after an older claim is in the system - the latter could not be questioned.

Have a good look at threads on larger claims. Although you're open to higher costs if you go to court and lose there is a possibility that you'll get an earlier full settlement because of the more rigorous disclosure process required for fast track claims. This disclosure process would force the bank into revealing the costs of its charges.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

post No. 7

As a claimant, in principle you are expected to bring a single claim to resolve any outstanding issues. If you bring one claim and then suffer further charges then this wouldn't be the same.

As Advoc says

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

• 2 weeks later...

My bank (Lloyds) has paid me £750 which is the amount I have claimed for.

But in the meantime they have charged me again over £500 on fees and overdraft charges.

What do I have to do? Do I start again?

Also they paid the money into the account and never offered me a cheque.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Please check this quote from Lloyds Bank:

This letter is the bank's final response, which means that if you remain dissatisfied you may refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If you decide to pursue your complaint through the Financial Ombudsman Service you must do so within 6 months from the date of this letter. I have enclosed their leaflet that outlines how to contact them.

Is this a final offer?

Did the letter actually offer you anything? If so how exactly was it termed - gesture of good will, offer of full and final settlement or something else? That's important to know as it dictates how you proceed.

If the letter didn't actually offer you anything it's not a final offer as such, it's a 'go away' letter. You do not have to refer anything to the financial ombudsment, you can take court action if what you've had back is not the full amount you're claiming.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

it can only relate to the claim in hand.

if they continue to act unlawfully then you can claim, you cannot sign away your future rights to sue then and they know it.

glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

That is the full letter:

Thank you for getting in touch with us again. I am sorry you are still unhappy about your account charges.

We've already explained that we believe it is fair to charge you for extra services you've requested, as long as you know about the charges in advance. When you didn't have enough in your account to cover a payment you'd asked us to make, we had to agree to make it by setting up or increasing your overdraft, or tell you we couldn't agree it. We feel it's only fair to charge for our services in considering and implementing this.

It's easy to keep a running check on how much is in your account. You can get an up-to-date balance at any of our cash machines, over the phone, on line and by weekly text to your mobile.

If you know a payment is going to take you over the limit we've agreed, you're welcome to see if we can raise it - and we can usually give you an answer straight away. Again we can do that for you by phone, on line or at any of our branches. There's no charge at all for this.

Generally we don't agree to adjust any of these charges, but I can tell you that on this occasion we are prepared to reduce the charges by repaying you £720. In addition to this sum we have waived £30 of pending charges due on your account. You may have read that we and other banks are discussing overdraft charges with the Office of Fair Trading. Meanwhile we do consider each customer's position individually, and we are making you this offer as a gesture of goodwill because we might face that cost in dealing with your complaint if you took it any further.

I need to let you know that this does not mean we consider we have any legal obligation to do so. The sum of £720 will be credited to your account in the next few days.

As I've explained, these charges are avoidable and we would strongly urge you to keep within the limit you've agreed with us or to ask us now to see if we could increase it for you.

This letter is the bank's final response, which means that if you remain dissatisfied you may refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If you decide to pursue your complaint through the Financial Ombudsman Service you must do so within 6 months from the date of this letter. I have enclosed their leaflet that outlines how to contact them.

Yours sincerely

Robert Cameron

Customer Services Officer

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

I also got the eight week letter but still sent off the letter warning of court action against them. gave them 14 days to give me my money back. Letter delivered to branch by hand, will be on the steps of the court 9am 14 days from the letter.

I will not be bullied by some faceless clerk, who employs stalling tactics. Actually looking forward to setting the bailiffs on them and taking computers etc from their branches. That should be fun, but they will probably pay up as they do not want the bad publicity. hey that gives me an idea will take the local press with me, fun or what.

• 1 month later...