Stop The Pay As U Go Road Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6279 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI all,

slightly off topic but:

Sarah Kennedy was on about this proposed car tax scheme on the radio

apparently there is only one month left to register your objection to the

'Pay as you go' road tax.

The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't tell anybody

about it. Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only 250,000 people had

signed it so far and 750,000 signatures are required to stop them

introducing it.

This is legit... From the 10 Downing Street's website.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address,

just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a

link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition.

Democracy in action?

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to

purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use

it.

The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC,

the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery

driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to school

paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will

know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been

going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can

probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.

If you care about our freedom and stopping the constant bashing of the car

driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and

pass this on to as many people as possible.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

PLEASE Sign up if you are in agreement with the petition - if not you could be paying EVEN MORE yet again for the privelege of driving your OWN car.

THank you in advance!:D

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

everyone is entitled to MY opinion!:D

I offer my comments without prejudice or liability.

If you found my advice helpful, please click the scales at the top.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this shouldnt be allowed, it will end up with only the rich being able to afford to drive, what they should do is sell fuel tax free & then charge per mile driven with no exceptions

I won £5289 heres how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/40703-saint-luco-natwest.html

ITS NOT WHETHER YOU WON OR LOST, BUT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME THAT MATTERS. ( OBVIOUSLY A LOSER THEN):D :D :D

Do we not already pay enough to use our roads via the highest fuel tax in Europe?

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

we do hag, but we have to tax something, people are giving up smoking or like me getting cigerettes from abroad, the population is getting bigger, living longer and claiming more benefits, tax fiddles & n.h.s services. this has to be payed for, and its the working man (or woman) who will have to pay, through stealth taxes

I won £5289 heres how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/40703-saint-luco-natwest.html

ITS NOT WHETHER YOU WON OR LOST, BUT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME THAT MATTERS. ( OBVIOUSLY A LOSER THEN):D :D :D

Nogard,

No I dont have a proposal but are you willing to let the governemt dictate when and how you use your vehicle I'd be more than willing to listen to any proposals you might have to combat this.

We have already seen so many stealth taxes forced upon us, we pay excise duty ( Road Tax ) and yes, I agree only a small portion of this is used ( if any ) for upgrading the road networks. However, this is yet another ploy by the Government to force people off the roads and onto public transport, where yet again you pay through the nose for these services, the highest priced systems in Europe? If you have to drive to work over any distance a tax like this will undoubtably total up per month to a considerable ammount. Not only that, you could also end up receiving a speeding fine with your bill should you accidentally stray over the speed limit. Do you really want a Big Brother State on top of everything else??

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

Guest ian cognito
[what they should do is sell fuel tax free & then charge per mile driven with no exceptions/QUOTE]

Why not just scrap the road tax altogether and increase fuel duty - that way you really do only pay for the miles you do - or for your gas guzzler if you've got one.

The problem is, Falcon, you are asking everyone to sign this petition without suggesting an alternative. I am open minded and would like to be persuaded by logical argument which must of course include an alternative. The tracking system that monitors your every movement and records your speed etc is just an urban myth. Do you really think that it possible to track 20 million vehicles 24 hours a day and start issuing speeding fines?

Why not just scrap the road tax altogether and increase fuel duty - that way you really do only pay for the miles you do - or for your gas guzzler if you've got one.

that is a possibillity but you will have to have something in the windscreen to show you mhave a legal car , no government will give that for free, but it could be a set price, also i think charging milage is fairer the more you use the roads the more you pay, some people have gas guzzlers but only do a few miles a week, why should they pay more than someone with a 1300 doing 2000miles a week

I won £5289 heres how

I totally agree about the tracking of vehicles nogard, it would be a total logistical nightmare and more than likely impossible, however, if I had an alternative then I would have posted it, the reason for posting it is for the Government to take notice that motorists are not happy with their proposals. Should someone have any alternatives to this then I would love to hear them, hence the reason for posting it.

If anyone has any alternatives to this then hopefully they will post them on here.

Janqinny,

nice idea, I think this has already been discussed by the Government, I for one would gladly pay a little extra on top of my fuel, one other reason this would work IMO is that people who do drive on the roads without taxing their vehicles at this moment would be paying too. One of the problems is that they drive without Tax due to their vehicle failing an MOT or no insurance, documents that you have to produce in order to Tax a vehicle. Maybe do away with road tax, add extra to fuel costs and issue a disc type MOT that HAS to be displayed like a tax disc? Plus an Insurance disc?

Guest ian cognito

Yes Falcon I agree with all that, it can't cost any more to produce an MOT 'disc' than it does a pass certificate, they already have access to the insurance database so that isn't a problem either, I can't understand why they won't go for this solution - apart from the future issue of electric cars!

I think the real reason they wont go for it Jan is it wont bring in as much revenue as their proposals will should they be imposed :-( The insurance data base is flawed to a degree, it takes time to add policies and not all insurance companies subscribe to it.

The disadvantage of putting the rate on fuel is that you would pay twice. 98% of all consumer goods are carried by road on vehicles that average 9 mpg so any increase in fuel tax would mean an increase in prices on all consumer goods, food included.

The disadvantage of putting the rate on fuel is that you would pay twice. 98% of all consumer goods are carried by road on vehicles that average 9 mpg so any increase in fuel tax would mean an increase in prices on all consumer goods, food included.

I agree nogard but we have the option of shopping around, we are not bound by Government to buy any specific types of consumer goods, we have the freedom of choice.

Thank the Gods for internet shopping then lol ;-)

The bit I find difficult to understand is how does the government propose to bill us for our road use and what methods of payment will be in place? If you sell your car at 10.27am will the new keeper be liable for all charges from 10.27.01am? How would this be policed?Us Motor traders don't have to register cars to ourselves so if I am demonstrating a car to someone how will they bill me? Some cars pass through three or four traders hands in one day, each trader possibly only doing twenty miles or less in his ownership. How will they be able to bill each trader individually? Also will it only apply to cars if their wheels are revolving- what about cars that are on the back of a transporter going up the motorway? If it only applies when the engine is running then I for one will be coasting downhill at every oppurtunity. I really can't see it working.

Good question gwc1000,

there are so many things to take into consideration. How they will be able to, as you say, "Police it" is beyond me. As far as I'm concerned this is just another attempt to hit the motorists with yet another stealth tax. I will try and find out a little more about it but unsure how to at the moment but when I do I will post back on here, hopefully someone else will too?

The was talk about fifteen years ago, about trying a similar system in Cambridge City centre. Any car entering the city had to have a box fitted with a pre-payment meter. When your money ran out the engine was immobilised! Now that would really ease congestion. Needless to say it never got off the ground!

thats a good idea, hundreds of cars going nowhere.. sounnds like london

by the way there might be a refuse tax coming in

I won £5289 heres how