Council Tax and Bailiffs ref only - NO POSTS ALLOWED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Herbie

There is a lot of advice being given to paying the council on line when bailiffs are enforcing a debt.

It should be understood that the local authority has been granted a liability order that enables them to legally pass to debt to bailiffs to enforce. Payments should be made to the bailiffs NOT the local authority.

I cant tell you the nuber of times that we hear that people have paid the council on line only for the payment to be credited to their CURRENT yearly account.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of advice being given to paying the council on line when bailiffs are enforcing a debt.

It should be understood that the local authority has been granted a liability order that enables them to legally pass to debt to bailiffs to enforce. Payments should be made to the bailiffs NOT the local authority.

I cant tell you the nuber of times that we hear that people have paid the council on line only for the payment to be credited to their CURRENT yearly account.

Herbie

Just for clarification - surely its the Council's responsibility to realise that IF the current year is up to date (or paid in full) then any overpayment is obviously due to go to previous arrears?

Guest Herbie

Yes you are right.

However, it is almost always the case that if a client has a case with bailiffs then they are usually not up to date with their current year's liability as well.

Contrary to the belief of local authorities, most people are in arrears because they CANT AFFORD to pay their council tax bills !!!

Hi i certainly need help with my council tax account, i got into financial trouble a few years ago, no excuses mainly due to ill health, i got into arrears with council tax at a previous address the council sent the bailiffs i managed to make an arrangement on that one and am still paying it off at a rate of £20.00 per month direct to the council. For last years council i did not manage to pay it all off and the council instigated the bailiffs without even telling me? i thought it was for the one before and ignored it until they knocked, i did not let them in and refused to discuss it with them on the door. they have already added 200.00 quid on top of the 600.00 i owed. i rang te bailiffs to make an arrangement but they said i would have to pay it all in one go by this friday? i rang the council and explained that they are adding more charges and i simply cannot afford to pay it they just said and i quote "what do u want us to do about it"? i asked for them to call it back but they refused, and then said as i have missed one payment for this year they are also sending this years to the bailiff next week, it appears that if you are in any arrears you cannot miss any payments, i simply cannot afford to pay all this and am at my wits end, I am a single mother of two children working part-time. I also pay £30.50 per day child care costs to enable me to earn £500.00 per month i do get help with this from child tax credit but they only pay me so much towards it. I did expalin to the council i was on low income she added it up and said you get £***.** per week and you cannot afford to pay your bills? well no quite frankly when you take into consideration that i pay nearly $500.00 per month on childcare, and my rent is £300.00 per month, i dont get left with much and then i have to pay gas, elec, water rates, food etc. can anyone suggest a way forward for me to try and get it cleared. i would appreciate it as it has made me ill.

Hi Kaijays

Firstly...........calm down there are things you can do...........I had a problem with my council, until I read up about it on here and Boy!!! am I giving them a run for their money. Anyway they sent the bailiffs round for the last 4 months payment of 2006 ( althought I wasn't in arrears at this point but I was when they went to court in july 06) The bailiffs got "heavy" with me, 'phoning me at home and being nasty over the 'phone..well we can all be big and clever over the 'phone so I gave as good as I got and then decided that I wasn't going to lay back and take this anymore. So I rang the council and asked them for the contact details of my Borough Councillor, rang him and within 10 mins I had a very humble Chap from the council, on the phone, offering me all kinds of advice.

I suggest you ring your council and get your councillor details and tell him/her EVERYTHING, they can and will put pressure on the council to resolve this quickly and with your best interests at heart.

As a stalling tactic, I would apply for a council tax rebate ( if your council is anything like mine this will take them weeks to asses) while this is on going offer a small weekly amount, you may not be entitled to any rebate but at least you'll have time to gather your thoughts and work things out. Listen to Bailiffchaser, bailiffs are bullies,they don't care about anyone, but they are NOT above the law and NO ONE will see a single mum and her children suffer for the fun of it.

So girlie, take a deep breath, pull you socks up and GET EVEN

There are loads of people here for you ( me included)

Best wishes

Casbah

Zooman why are advising as you have advised ? Just wandering ?

hi there, i have had the bailiffs knock on my door demanding i pay them 350 asap. i told them i was on benefits and didnt have that sort of money, the bailiffs response was along the lines of tough ( but not so polite) i told him to go away as he was banging on my door and scaring my little girl to tears. he eventually went away but then called me and said if i didnt have the money by 6 pm that night ( which was an hour later) he would turn up in the middle of the night with a lock smith. i called his office to expaling that i couldnt pay that sort of money can we come to some arrangement but was told i had to pay the bailiff his 350 first then they would except 210 a month off me after that. i then told the office that i was on benefits and no way could i afford to pay that and i could prove it, i offered her a payment off 30 a month and she wouldnt except. i tried to offer the council this direct but theysaid that they cant take the case back off the bailiffs. Spose what im getting at is can they get a locksmith out and even tho i have bolts and chains on the inside of my door can they get in or would that be classed as breaking an entry? I tried to make a complaint about the way the bailiff was with me but was told by his office that it was my word against his so they wouldnt persue it, what can i do next time, to get evidence that he was nasty and abusive? And also i have been told that u can ask for the money to come out of ur benefits how do i do this??

Thankyou Casbah for the advice, since i posted i phoned trading standards although they were not interestd and put me through to some legal consumer line, i spoke to a very nice man who advised me to write a letter to the bailiff and the council, which i will do i also contacted a local government officer by email asking why this sort of behaviour from the council is allowed? i have done some research on line today and come up with a lot of useful tips especially from this site its brilliant! Casbah what did you mean by asking the council for a rebate? could you please explain this so i can try it.

To the lady that posted after me i think it was Emma someone will help you, i got a telephone number that may be able to help you they give you legal advice? 0845 345 4345 a chap there advised me not to open the door at all, he said they cannot do anything other than pass it back to the council, which is what i want really. I thankyou once again Casbah and goodluck Emma. xxxx

hi kaijays, thanks for that number will give them a call, as the bailiffs office wont except any offers from me and the council , well im banging my head against a wall there ! lol. hope all goes well for u too x

hi there, i have had the bailiffs knock on my door demanding i pay them 350 asap. i told them i was on benefits and didnt have that sort of money, the bailiffs response was along the lines of tough ( but not so polite) i told him to go away as he was banging on my door and scaring my little girl to tears. he eventually went away but then called me and said if i didnt have the money by 6 pm that night ( which was an hour later) he would turn up in the middle of the night with a lock smith. i called his office to expaling that i couldnt pay that sort of money can we come to some arrangement but was told i had to pay the bailiff his 350 first then they would except 210 a month off me after that. i then told the office that i was on benefits and no way could i afford to pay that and i could prove it, i offered her a payment off 30 a month and she wouldnt except. i tried to offer the council this direct but theysaid that they cant take the case back off the bailiffs. Spose what im getting at is can they get a locksmith out and even tho i have bolts and chains on the inside of my door can they get in or would that be classed as breaking an entry? I tried to make a complaint about the way the bailiff was with me but was told by his office that it was my word against his so they wouldnt persue it, what can i do next time, to get evidence that he was nasty and abusive? And also i have been told that u can ask for the money to come out of ur benefits how do i do this??

If the bailiff has never gained entry to your property they cannot force entry ar attend with a locksmith. DO NOT let them in. If you have allowed entry or they have got 'peaceful ' entry by walking through an open or unlocked door or open window they could possibly force entry but would have to give written notice of the time & date of visit to allow you to be there. ( so doors & windows shut & locked if no entry gained already ).

They can only charge you for 2 visits max where no entry gained & no levy on goods ( if you have a car move it ) max £24.50 1st vist £18 2nd visit. Any other charges where no levy on goods wil be illegal.

The council are respnsible for the actions of the bailiff as well as he was acting as their agent. I would put a complaint in writing laying out what happened. Send to both the bailiff company AND council. Kepp a copy send recorded delivery. If you aren't happy with the repsonse you could find out if the bailiff firm is member of a trade body 9 they have to tell you if they are ) and complain to them. If you are unhappy with the council's response you can complain via the Local Government Ombudsman.

Speak to National Debtline on freephone 0808 808 4000 for free confidential advice as well. Below link will be useful:

National Debtline England & Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 02 Bailiffs And Council Tax

Hi again Kaijays

Anyone on low income can apply for help with their rent and counicil tax, you have to ring your council and ask them for the rebate forms..............they are very long and complex but your council should have someone at their office to help you fill them out. They will want to see wage slips and tax credit awards certificate, and they will back date it to at least the date of your claim, you should have been told this in your council tax bill when you have filled in the forms, do your self a big favour and personally return them to the council office and ask for a receipt ( my council automatically gives a receipt but I don't know about other councils) now the bad news my council sometimes takes upto 14 weeks to assess a claim, thats not so bad for you Kai because all the time they are assessing your claim they do not ( or should not) act on the arrears. But do yourself another favour and do everything in writing, if they pursue you for the arrears, write to them saying that you are waiting for a rebate to be assessed, and that you can make £XX per month until this has been done, the good news is if you ARE entitled to a full rebate this amount will go towards the arrears, if you are entitled to part rebate then you will be keeping this years up to date, usually if you qualify for WFTC then you should get some kind of rebate for council tax. How long have you been claiming WFTC? may I ask

best wishes

Cas

Hi

not 100% sure on this point but bailiffs can't come in during certain times of the day, I think it is after sunset and before sunrise, on a sunday nor xmas day. I know this used to be the case and haven't heard anything to the contrary but anyone????

cas

Guest Herbie

Emmajean.

The actions of the bailiff are a disgrace. If you are on benefits, you can apply to have your arrears of council tax deducted at source from your benefits. The bailiff knows this only too well. DO NOT PAY. As by doing so you are going to have use money that is obviously going to be needed for day to day living expenses.

You need to contact the local authority immediately and inform them that you wish to have deduction made at source. The amount is £2.90 per week.

Could you please send me a pm with the name of the bailiff and the company that he works for. I will check his name against the register to establish firstly whether he is certificated or not.

Please, no personal names on the public forum. Firstlt there is the issue of libel and secondly this site is very popular viewing for bailiff companies.

I have pm'd you.

Hi POWELLL thanks for the advice i know that the original council tax bill was for £600.00 and now i got a bailiffs letter which they pushed throught the door without even knocking as i was in and watched it for £757.00? when i phoned that number today given me by the trading standards they said this was excessive charging.

Casbah i have been claiming WFTC for a few years but i did have my older daughter who is now nearly twenty living with me for a while and this was taken into consideration even though she was on a low income and only paid me a small amount of keep, she nmoved out a while ago so i will get the forms for the council tax rebate.

Emma i hope that number i gave you is helpful i know its stressful i have a condition which is exasperated by stress and its taken its toll on me, i been off sick for a few days due to this.

I forgot to mention earlier that i was not getting paid properly in work due to a computer error and went three months without correct money, how can i find out if this Bailiff company are legal/registered or whatever they got to be, i am starting to feel a bit better now i have been on here and now i am in the fighting back mood. he he he thanks all for help i hope i can help someone too, i have bookmarked this site for future reference.

Guest Herbie

Ok. To send a PM ( private message) you need to go to the name on the top left hand side of the box. ie: Herbie, Classic Account Customer which will be in blue. Click on the name and a new screen will appear.

Right hand side box titled: CONTACT INFO. Under that says in blue, Send a private message.

To see if you have a reply. Go to the very top of this page, or any page and on the right hand side it will say welcome .....You last visited at.......Private Messages.

Good Luck

I am more than happy to search whether the bailiff is certificated or not, but please, DO NOT post names on the public forum.

hello please help me! a bailiff has been in contact about my council tax that got passed to equita they have now passed it onto there certificated bailiff, he wants the full amount of £1099 by thursday or he will remove my goods. what can i do, i have £300 sitting in my bank but no one will except it not my council not equita or the bailiff. i simply can find that sort of money in a week!! i have offered to pay £300 now followed by £100 a month to clear it but still no one will except it. what opions do i have? obviously i dont want him to remove any of my goods especially not come banging on the door when my kids are in side. any advise or templates of letters would be appreciated.

£3890 successfully claimed from halifax (joint acc)

still personal halifax natwest lloyds to go!!!

hello any one still up who might be able to help

Iowe £600 council tax from last year i set up an arrangment with equita to pay them £25.00 aweek . i sent them 4 cheques to cash dated.but the first one bounced so now they have handed me over to the baliff. who i called today but he said to call him tomorrow as he hadent looked at the case yet. .there is no way i can raise that sort of money and untill i talk to him tomorrow i dont know what i can do. last year i was in the same position and when i talked to him he said i had to pay him in 2 installments which i did. but this time i wont be able to do this as i am borrowed up to the hilt .what can i do .he will be (so it said in the letter i got today be calling next tuesday or wensday with a van to remove my stuff .WHAT CAN I DO PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPP:?:

I have indeed sent Newlyn Baliff's this letter after they demanded £533 a month. I also sent a copy to my council. The result was excellent, the council demanded that I should be allowed to pay what I could afford or they would take back the account. The end result is I only have to pay £132 a month. Excellent.

i am glad to see that some people have gotten a great result with their council tax demands, i am keeping all this information as i feel that something has got to be done with the way that bailiffs are acting and also some councils, i have three demands outstanding i have sent a letter last week to the bailiffs stating i know my rights and that they will not gain entry to my property only to receive a letter today stating that they will be arriving at my property whether i am in or not to take goods, obviously the repayment schedule i offered is unacceptable i have not received a reply back from council but what i did do was pay a visit to the council tax office today and i made two payments over the counter one for this years and one for an accoun that is at the bailiffs nothing was said and the payment was accepted? i do not believe that anyone knows what they are doing there? but this is exactly what i wanted i have point blank refused in both letter to pay the bailiffs fees of £146.00 for visits to my home whereby i was in the house and they simply posted this through the door to say they had tried to make contact they did not nock the door or ring the bell, and simply added these fees which are not legal either as after two visits how dis they arrive at £146.00? i have not refuted liability or refused to pay the council tax arrears. so i will keep you posted, anyone need help please keep posting someone one here will help you like they helped me.

ok................. sometimes it takes a while for the penny to drop for poor old casbah!!!! but I have just realised that a family member is a borough councillor,:o and I will get in touch with them and pick their brains re this council tax problems

Will post what his response is

OK having a major blonde moment.......

I followed the advice on here and wrote to the baliffs asking for a breakdown of their charges. Noticed an "enforcement fee" what is this, they have not been to my home, just 2 letters and a snotty phone call , but the enforcement fee is £248.00

Any ideas???

Casbah

Sorry for hyjacking another thread but my wife has had the bailiffs chasing her for CT prior to us getting wed. 2 years but tret as two different debts therefore two visits by 2 different bailiffs = 2 lots of charges. We sorted the first then another bailiff attended for the second. I think Rossendales are pulling a fast one for two lots of fees?:?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks