Goldfish - charges and PPI reclaiming

TINK660
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5165 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent DPA request and cheque for £10 for OH's cc account on the 5th December (I think!!)

First mistake .... forgot to date letter!

They applied £10 to hubbys goldfish account (but, big but... it bounced) Too near Christmas me thinks. Thats another £35.00 down.

Now they have charged another £12.00 to hubbys account for a dishonoured cheque.

Surely this cheque was never intended to be credited to account so the charge of £12.00 shouldnt have been applied.

All in all thats just cost £59.00 and I feel sick.

What should I do now.

I take it they will take this opportunity to ignore my DPA request.

Should I just start again from scratch?

Dont see many threads for Goldfish so dont know how good or bad they are, anyone been successful.

I have no idea until the statements come in how much charges have been applied, but intend to claim compounded contractual interest at their rate (whatever that is).

GE MONEY - DEBENHAMS CARD

Settled in full after prelim :)

MBNA

Settled after LBA

however mistake made by me on contractual interest so going after the rest now

SETTLED IN FULL JAN 2007:)

MINT

Offer after prelim rejected

Settled in full after LBA:)

to go:

Barclays Bus Ac - to mcol

Barclays CC - to mcol

Nat West (over 6 years) no action taken yet

Creation Financial - awaiting statements since Dec

Goldfish - offer after prelim rejected

and some more

bump

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

Guest Battleaxe

Tink,

I would start again, but instead of a cheque send a crossed postal order for £10.00. i would also write a seperate letter explaining their mistake and see if you can get the charges removed. Send it recorded delivery so they have an excuse. I have never had any problems with Goldfish, maybe beacuse I never allowed anything out of my control with it. In fact they have just raised my credit limit, didn't ask for it, what a surprise. Wont be using it though, that credit card is tucked away for an extreme emergency. Back to your problem, check the other threads regarding Goldfish and see what you can learn. I think the letter is the best way to go rather than ringing them. Might work, might not work, but what have you got to lose?

Thanks Battleaxe, I will start from scratch with a crossed postal order.

Note to self:- must get it right first time

Will also send letter about charge

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

I definitley think you should try and get the charge back. They shouldn't have tried to apply it to the account in the first place. I don't think not dating the letter would be an issue that much. Did you send it recorded?

Definitely start again as suggested with a postal order. If they make the same mistake with the PO it doesn't matter, the 40 days still keeps counting down as you legitimately sent the request and payment and if they don't read the letter properly that's their problem.

Good luck with your claim.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

• 3 weeks later...

DIdn't have to send postal order in the end - they sent me the statements anyway!

Along with statements they also sent a letter indicating that they knew why I was asking for them and offering the difference between what I have been charged and the £12.00 the OFT stated as being more reasonable. Sort of jumping the gun a bit arent they. I have to sign to say I accept and will not proceed any further - no chance, especially as I am thinking of adding compound contractual interest to my claim.

Has anyone else had this response?

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

• 1 year later...

My husbands account was passed to Mercers who have been harrassing him by phone and text messages constantly. They asked for an immediate payment about 6 weeks ago of £75.00 which he paid, a couple of weeks later they started again and this time demanded £340.00 which he also paid, two days after receiving the £340.00 they again phoned saying that he needed to pay another £75.00 to which he basically said **** off too!

Needless to say the phone calls and texts have continued and he even had a call, which he never answered because he recognised the number and a text on Boxing Day. Since these calls he has started a second claim for a refund of charges which amount to approx £300 which is about the amount he is now in arrears. The next time they phone should he inform them that the account is now in dispute and to stop these harrassing phone calls - they are driving him nuts.

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

Good morning Tink.

I think the phone calls are the worst part of 'collection procedures'.

I had the same with HFC (and others) a year or so ago. The problem is that you will agree to almost anything just to get them off the line and stop the calls and once you hang up you have no proper record or proof of what has been discussed or agreed.

Send them the 'harrassment by telephone' letter. I think you will find it in the template library.

If the calls continue, log them (record them if you can), tell them 'in writing only please', hang up and then report them to the various authorities detailed in the letter.

It worked for me. :D

Don't let that wunch of bankers get you down.

Keep the faith.

T. :cool:

Hi Tink,

They won't stop calling just because you say you are now reclaiming charges. Keep a log of their calls and texts.

What stage are you at with the reclaim.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

tink- just get on with the reclaim.

Once your claim form is served on them by the court , the calls will stop.

Does that £300 include interest levied on the charges? If not I'll be happy to help you calculate interest.

You would be suprised how much interest they have scammed you into paying them...:D

Just had reply to prelim saying no to refund as charges are only £12.00 etc. The normal b******s!

The claim for £300 does include interest

4 texts he had yesterday and 1 phone call!

LBA let going out today in response to their letter.

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

Just had reply to prelim saying no to refund as charges are only £12.00 etc. The normal b******s!

The claim for £300 does include interest

4 texts he had yesterday and 1 phone call!

LBA let going out today in response to their letter.

Hi I found that by answering the calls and just saying NO to every thing they said stopped the calls after about 5 to 6 weeks, I found the harrisment letter to be usless to most they will just say they are within their rights to call you. They stop when they find they are just wasting money with their usless phone calls.

dpick

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Much to our suprise (reading other peoples experiences with Barclaycard) they have offered to refund the ppi premiums on my husbands credit card which used to be a Goldfish card. But (there always has to be a but!) they state

"Our aim to to put you in the same financial position as you would have been if you had not taken out a payment protection insurance policy"

and then

"Calculating your refund involves:

Reviewing the statements we have available (over the past 6 years) and adding the total premiums you have paid with respect to your ppi and adding any interest which would have been paid on the total premiums paid"

However my husband has had the card a lot longer than 6 years (dont know exactly how long but more in the region of 12 years) therefore the settlement is clearly not going to put him back in the position he would have been had he not taken out ppi!

Also the 8% added on as interest is just a standard 8% on the refund offered (not compounded) and barclaycards current interest rate is 19.9% pa.

I phoned them and they said that they dont have any statements going back past 6 years and a cca request we previously done just gave us the usual crap that they send out and not the actual agreement.

Therefore we feel that the figure should be a lot higher than they have offered.

By the way when we were claiming charges on this card they send us statements going back to 2001 so they obviously do have more statements than they are letting on!

Tink

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

Hello tink,

Hi,

Much to our suprise (reading other peoples experiences with Barclaycard) they have offered to refund the ppi premiums on my husbands credit card which used to be a Goldfish card. But (there always has to be a but!) they state

"Our aim to to put you in the same financial position as you would have been if you had not taken out a payment protection insurance policy"

and then

"Calculating your refund involves:

Reviewing the statements we have available (over the past 6 years) and adding the total premiums you have paid with respect to your ppi and adding any interest which would have been paid on the total premiums paid"

However my husband has had the card a lot longer than 6 years (dont know exactly how long but more in the region of 12 years) therefore the settlement is clearly not going to put him back in the position he would have been had he not taken out ppi!

Also the 8% added on as interest is just a standard 8% on the refund offered (not compounded) and barclaycards current interest rate is 19.9% pa.

I phoned them and they said that they dont have any statements going back past 6 years and a cca request we previously done just gave us the usual crap that they send out and not the actual agreement.

Therefore we feel that the figure should be a lot higher than they have offered.

By the way when we were claiming charges on this card they send us statements going back to 2001 so they obviously do have more statements than they are letting on!

Tink

You are entitled to a true copy of the Consumer Credit Agreement but it does not have to bear the signatures.

This is a new tack the banks are taking, we do not keep records beyond 6 years.

Now banks by law are required to keep records on any account for 6 years after the last transaction on the account. But if the account is still running then they should supply all the information on that account.

I successfully claimed back to 1997.

I would suggest a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office or Court action for non compliance with a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 1998 or a non compliance with A Consumer Credit Agreement under section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which ever way you went.

If the account is still live and they refuse to give you all the relevant information insist that they provide all of the details on the destruction of your data.

I would also suggest your reclaim not just for the six years but if they do not provide the figures or statements just claim double the six years paperwork they do have and let them worry about proving the figures.

If they then refuse to pay up Financial Ombudsman Service is IMO the way to go. It takes an inordinate amount of time but they are upholding 90% of PPI complaints so chances are in your favour.

aa

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Post removed

Edited by alanalana
not applicable to this thread

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

• 3 weeks later...

Alanalana,

I think your post relates to someones elses thread.

Anyway I have sent a letter to Barclays explaining that their offer of a refund does not put my husband back in the position he would have been had he not had ppi and that to do this he would need a refund of all payments made since inception (approx 1996) and interest at their rate of 19.6%. Waiting patiently for reply!

Tink

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

No reply yet - now waiting very unpatiently for reply!

I suppose its very hard to reply to something so straightforward

To summarise:

"They have offered to put my husband back in the position he was in before he took out the ppi, admitting that it was missold, they then go on to say they will refund all ppi payments made over the last 6 years (no interest added). As he has had the card and ppi for considerably longer than 6 years and interest has been added at their extortionate rate of 19.6% it certainly does not put him back in the position he would have been in before taking out the ppi!"

Somebody must be having to check their figures again and again on the calculator.

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

• 1 month later...

Sent Barclays a letter on 10th August giving my own calculations of how the account should be put back in the position as if my husband had never had PPI insurance - enclosed statements including interest at 1.52% per month and 8% on top of that and FOS statement of how refunds should be calculated.

Had no reply so phone them - funnily enough the person that wrote the letter does not accept incoming phone calls but was advised that they are only dealing with letters received up to 1st August so couldnt give a timescale as to when I would receive a reply.

Clocks ticking and interests building but I'm getting very impatient.

(Looks like Saturday is update day for me!)

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

Hi Tink660,

I submitted a claim to Barclaycard on behalf of my OH for mis sold PPI on 2 cards. They made the same offer as to her on 1 of the cards, ie "We will put you back on the same position as if PPI had never been taken out" but then offered only 8% simple interest on top of premiums paid.

They did however say in their offer letter that where the PPI went back further than 6 years, they calculate the average monthly payment and multiply that by the number of months she had the card over 6 years.

I sent a letter back to them saying your offer does not bring us back to the position we would have been in...... They wrote back about 6 weeks later saying this is our final offer.

Both claims now with FOS.

DJ1971

• 2 weeks later...

Now sick of waiting for this lot to reply so filling in form for FOS involvement today and sending Monday.

The person who signs the letters in the PPI complaints dept does not even accept incoming phone calls - so another one for the FOS to deal with.

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

• 4 weeks later...

Well I havent sent FOS form yet (thought I had but must have slipped my mind) - still waiting for a reply from Barclays - will wait one more week and then my patience will have run out, every time I ring them I am given a different date as to what correspondence they are dealing with - it would appear they are going backwards as one week it was the 5th August and the next week it was the 1st August. But then nothing surprises me with this bunch of .......

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

Well I havent sent FOS form yet (thought I had but must have slipped my mind) - still waiting for a reply from Barclays - will wait one more week and then my patience will have run out, every time I ring them I am given a different date as to what correspondence they are dealing with - it would appear they are going backwards as one week it was the 5th August and the next week it was the 1st August. But then nothing surprises me with this bunch of .......
Plonkers

Just filled in the blank :D

I also have claims in with barclaycard it seems they are being totally obstructive in replying to PPI claims for mis-selling so we take the matter on to the FOS who seem to be upholding 90% of the claims for mis-selling against the majority of banks etc. So IMO barclays will eventually have to refund the mis-sold PPI it is just a matter of time :rolleyes:

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

• 4 months later...

Hi Tink660 ,just curious did you ever make a successful claim with Barclaycard for mis-sold PPI ?