• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Caught fare evasion in tube station

i would not be using wrong action 3 times in the 1st few sentences once is enough

change the very start.

3 minutes ago, jk2054 said:

I’m replying to your letter of 25/03/2024.

I thank you for your letter dated 25th march 2024.

please excuse my reply as English is not my first language.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you sooooo much for your super clear modification.

I edit all the places you mentioned.

Is there any other place I need to modify?

Thanks dx, I just see your reply. Yeah I have changed the sentence you said.

I’m replying to your letter of [DATE].

I thank TfL for giving me the opportunity to explain my wrong and stupid actions. I have realised that my inexcusable actions were wrong, and I am deeply remorseful. I earnestly apologise for my wrong actions. After continuously self-criticising my wrong actions these days, I can’t go to sleep and repent every day. I promise that it was my first time of fare evasion and it will never happen again. I beg to pay all unpaid fare and any resultant admin fees immediately, if it is possible.

I understand that everyone use TfL service has responsibility to buy valid tickets every time. Without the tickets, TfL cannot operate normally and can’t provide service to the society. So I indeed feel very guilty about my offence.

I feel very guilty, and I know that I can’t blame anyone but myself. I feel that my depression and anxiety (please see the document and the medicine I’m using) are becoming very serious. I constantly trembling, crying, and at times struggling to breathe. The criminal record may result in my worse health condition.

In addition, I’m now a PhD student at XXX University, and I was a class teacher at last year (Please see the document). I really love this job and love to teach a lot of lovely students. I have been asked to continue being a class teacher this year and I got a verbal agreement. Moreover, I desire to be a teacher in university after I graduate. I dream of spreading knowledge and contributing to UK society.

Specially, I really hope that I could still talk to those lovely students. I just start my second year of my PhD programme, I do love my research, and desire to continue research after I graduate. A criminal conviction will no longer allow me to be a teacher in the future and I won’t be able to continue my loved research anymore. I desire to make contribution to our society using my research. I can’t control my thoughts about these, I’m extremely heartbroken.

I don’t have any history of criminality in the past, and I promise I will ensure that I do not repeat my actions again, and will ensure that I always have a valid ticket for travel. I evaded fare because I was with my girlfriend, I just felt that following her and evading paying my fare would be fun. I have paid price for my youthful ignorance. Now I deeply regret my offence and understand its significant negative impact on society. I have bought a monthly travel card and topped up my oyster card with a balance of £89 (please see the document) which will ensure that I have the correct ticket for travel in the future meaning that I will not fare evade ever again.

I know that I did wrong things and I desire an opportunity to make amends. I offer to immediately pay all unpaid fare and any resultant admin fees. I would please ask that you would please provide me a single opportunity to settle all outstanding sums owed outside of court without the need for legal proceedings which would have a detrimental impact on my teaching career, on the knowledge that I have an unblemished record up until now and have taken actions to ensure that I will have a valid ticket for future travel to ensure that these events never repeat themselves. 

I know that a prosecution would have a detrimental impact on my health and my career prospects as a teacher. I sincerely apologise again. I hope that I’ve explained myself clearly and provided sufficient evidence, If you need anything further from me to help you please let me know. Thank you once again for giving me the opportunity to explain my actions and I hope that you will be able to allow me to settle this matter outside of court on the knowledge that this has never happened before, and will never happen again, and that I have taken steps to ensure this.

Yours Faithfully,

doing the same thing again.:crazy: repeating something 3 times still now 'actions' was 'wrong' SAY IT ONCE ONLY. 

I thank TfL for giving me the opportunity to explain my inexcusable and stupid actions.

please excuse my reply as English is not my first language.

I now realise my actions were wrong. i am deeply remorseful, very self critical, repentant and lacking of sleep. I promise that it was my first time of fare evasion and it will never happen again. I beg to pay the unpaid fare and any resultant admin fees immediately, if it is possible in the hope of an Out Of Court settlement.

I understand that everyone use TfL service has responsibility to buy valid tickets every time. Without the tickets, TfL cannot operate normally and can’t provide service to the society.

I feel very guilty, and I know that I can’t blame anyone but myself. I feel that my depression and anxiety (please see the document and the medicine I’m using) are becoming very serious. I constantly trembling, crying, and at times struggling to breathe. The criminal record may result in my worse health condition.

I’m a PhD student at XXX University and a class teacher at last year (Please see the document). I really love my job. I have been verbally asked to continue, but am worried this will now destroy this. Moreover, I desire to be a teacher in university after I graduate.

I don’t have any history of criminality in the past, and I promise I will ensure that I do not repeat my actions again, and will ensure that I always have a valid ticket for travel. I evaded my fare because I thought it would be fun and impress my girlfriend with me that day. I now realise the stupidity of my youthful ignorance.

I have purchased a monthly travel card and also topped up my oyster card with a balance of £89 (please see the document).

I sincerely apologise again.

I hope that I’ve explained myself clearly and provided sufficient evidence, If you need anything further from me to help you please let me know.

Yours Faithfully,

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

Oh, yeah, the actions indeed repeat too many times. I have modified all the places as you typed, and attached the new letter. Thank you dx.

Do you have any other suggestions regarding the main body or the attached documents (I attached the medical record and proof of buying season ticket)? Btw, I removed some of my information and I didn't attch my contracts as it is full of my privacy.

begging letter.pdf medical record -.pdf Receipt_2024-03-31 -.pdf

see my last post again.

i have done your letter for you above in my last post

good to go with your attachments.

please let HB comment tomorrow before you email it all off

i would make the text of your email your begging letter test do not attach that...

just attach your 2 other  PDF's.

goodnight

dx

and they

I'm still wondering should I add "With the crimal conviction, I would not be able to be a teacher again" after "I dream of spreading knowledge and contributing to UK society using my research."?

Hi.

I personally wouldn't add that, I expect TfL already know what a criminal conviction does. You shouldn't treat them as if they're daft.

You seem to have lost the first sentence I suggested with the date of their letter. You can't start a letter with the 'I thank TfL sentence'. If you put a first sentence back, start with 'I am', not 'I'm'.

I also think the 'Please excuse my reply' sentence needs work. You aren't apologising for replying, it's about any mistakes in the reply.

Can you post up the current version of the letter please, to avoid confusion?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Good morning, HB. Yes, I add the first sentence and 'Please excuse my reply' sentence.

The attachment is the newest letter. Can you please double check it, in case there is anything I midunderstand? Thanks a lot!

begging letter.pdf

Letter copied below for ease of commenting.

Dear xxx

Your reference xxx

I am replying to your letter of 25/03/2024.

I thank TfL for giving me the opportunity to explain my inexcusable and stupid actions.

Please excuse my reply as English is not my first language.

I have realised my actions were wrong. I am deeply remorseful, very self critical, repentant and lacking of sleep. I promise that it was my first time of fare evasion and it will never happen again. I beg to pay the unpaid fare and any resultant admin fees immediately, if it is possible in the hope of an Out Of Court settlement.

I understand that everyone use TfL service has responsibility to buy valid tickets every time. Without the tickets, TfL cannot operate normally and can’t provide service to the society. I indeed feel very guilty about my offence and I know that I can’t blame anyone but myself. I feel that my depression and anxiety (please see the document and the medicine I’m using) are becoming very serious. I constantly trembling, crying, and at times struggling to breathe. The criminal record may result in my worse health condition.

I’m now a PhD student at XXX University and a class teacher at last year (Please see the document). I really love this job and love to teach a lot of lovely students. I have been verbally asked to continue teaching this year, but am worried about the criminal conviction will destroy this. Moreover, I desire to be a teacher in university after I graduate. I dream of spreading knowledge and contributing to UK society using my research.

I don’t have any history of criminality in the past, and I promise I will ensure that I do not repeat my actions again, and will ensure that I always have a valid ticket for travel. I evaded fare because I thought it would be fun and impress my girlfriend with me that day. I now realise the stupidity of my youthful ignorance.

Now I deeply regret my offence and understand its significant negative impact on society. I have bought a monthly travel card and topped up my oyster card with a balance of £89 (please see the document) which will ensure that I have the correct ticket for travel in the future meaning that I will not fare evade ever again.

I sincerely apologise again. I hope that I’ve explained myself clearly and provided sufficient evidence, If you need anything further from me to help you, please let me know.

Yours Faithfully,

I've added a suggested start for your letter, as a formal letter is set out.

Instead of Please excuse my reply..' put 'Please excuse any mistakes in my letter as English is not my first language.'

I may be thinking of a different thread but did you say earlier that a monthly travel pass doesn't work for you?

At the end, if you're writing to a named person put Yours sincerely instead of Yours faithfully.

Does that help?

HB

Thanks, HB. They are very helpful.

The monthly travel pass may exceed my need a little bit, but I have bought it.

I don't see a name in TfL's verification letter. It is sent by IAP Team.

The second page of verification letter ask me to complete the section in BLOCK CAPITALS, it also requires signs. Should I also use block capital to type my information in email, and type my name in the sign area? I plan to draft my email in this way, do you think it works?

Dear Sir/Madam,

My case number is XXXXX

Last name:

First name:

Date of birth:

UK address:

Telephone number:

Email Address:

Date: 01/04/2024                                                     Signed:

I am replying to your letter of 25/03/2024.

I thank TfL for giving me the opportunity to explain my inexcusable and stupid actions.

Please excuse any mistakes in my letter as English is not my first language.

I upload the second page of the verification letter.

verification letter.pdf

Just to be clear, are you sending their verification letter and your appeal letter by email together? You could fill in the paper form by hand in block caps and then scan it to use as an attachment to your appeal. When they say signed I think they mean your real signature, not a computer one.

Please don't write your appeal in block caps, if the TfL person is like me it will drive them mad long before they get to the end of it.

The heading of your appeal [if it isn't on their form] should just be Case number xxx without any other blurb. And in bold.

HB

#2cents

I now realise the stupidity of my youthful ignorance.

Suggesting to change to

I now realise how stupid it was.

Don't think any person who is actually young and ignorant would ever use the words "my youthful ignorance"

Thanks, HB. I plan to start the appeal letter with my information and also scan the second page of verification which I will fill by hand.

Can I aks whether I need to write anything in the below part of verification letter? It ask me whether I deny or accept. Should I write "I accept committing an offence, please see the email"?

On 01/04/2024 at 12:43, Kyosanto said:

#2cents

I now realise the stupidity of my youthful ignorance.

Suggesting to change to

I now realise how stupid it was.

Don't think any person who is actually young and ignorant would ever use the words "my youthful ignorance"

Yeah, true. Thank you for your suggestion

Don't start the by repeating all the information, just put the reference number like I said, after Dear Sir/Madam

You should put your first and names at the end of your appeal, after Yours faithfully. 

HB

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone.

It has been 18 days since I sent the begging letter, and I still haven't received a response.

I've read some threads and found that OOC settlements are often responded to very quickly.

Does this mean it will be difficult for me to receive an OOC settlement?

We never know how long they will take to respond, it depends on how busy they are.

They also look through people's ticket history to see if everything is normal. If you haven't evaded fares before this won't be a problem for you but it takes time. It seems that train companies are doing this more and more.

HB

Thanks HB. I never evaded fare before. 

Should I send any email to ask my case or beg again to show that I indeed know I’m wrong?

To be honest, I indeed find that I’m wrong and will never do such thing.