• Tweets

• Hi All, Can ii get advice on this PCN received at the services near stansted airport. Picked someone up at night and went to grab coffee and snack in mc Ds, and didnt realise there was zones in this car park, it was late dark and pouring with rain so obvious u see the large 60mins parking free and dont stand around reading everything. My son and his mother were in the back of car still as he was sleeping. Ticket appears to be from CCTV camera   should i appeal, then see what they say (assume it will be rejected) then go to POPLA,   Thanks in advance     1 Date of the infringement 28/4/24 2 Date of issue  30/4/24 (says 14 days from date of letter) 3 Date received 4/5/23 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012? [Y/N?] N 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? pic car and n0 plate 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] Not yet Have you had a response? [Y/N?] post it up N/A 7 Who is the parking company? MET Parking Services 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Southgate Park, Stansted     (parked on starbucks side which was shut) For either option, does it say which appeals body they operate under. cant see it If you have received any other correspondence, please mention it here   No other correspondence     pcn.pdf
    • The 365-day notice account is being offered by saving and investing platform Prosper, in a deal that This is Money has secured exclusively for readers.View the full article
    • If you are confident that citizens advice are going to give you the help you need, then you should stick with them. No point in trying to ride two horses at the same time. It will only lead to confusion and conflicting advice. Also, the people at citizens advice get paid. Everybody on this forum works completely free of charge – no payment – no strings. I hope you get your money back, but for the moment I'm going to close this thread
    • While I agree with getting it done by an authorised dealer in this case, for future reference a stop/start battery for one of these cars are about £120 and anyone with a £40 BMW specific scanner off of Amazon can "register" the battery.
    • Dave, Section 12 seems to be a bit of a dangling limb on it's own, with no reference or explanation about the "breach" of parking out of hours. Also, rather than draw any attention to the specific 22:00 to 08:00 wording on their "draft signage", how about a slight reshuffle ...? 11. The claimant provides 2 copies of the signage on this site. One of the signs shows a time restriction of 2 hours, the other sign shows a parking restriction of 3 hours. 12. The driver stayed under 2 hours so even had the signs been visible the driver would have respected the Claimant's terms & conditions. Are the above strictly needed? The claimant has made no references to an overstay, just "out of hours". 13. The claimant also states in paragraph 8 of the witness statement: "On 17 March 2023 a vehicle with registration number was recorded as having breached the terms and conditions of parking. The driver of the aforementioned vehicle was in breach by virtue of parking on site out of hours." 14. The claimants Exhibit BA/2 also does not specify any times for "out of hours parking". Breach of a non-existent terms is not possible.   Or something along those lines? Screws up the the paragraph numberig a bit though...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Next Store - Caught shoplifting - well no i dumped a £3 candle.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 97 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I’m so mortified to be writing this

i I was caught with a candle to the value of £9

i didn’t leave the store I was seen dumping it after paying for the rest of my shopping 

taken to back room, showed my id and gave all my information while so upset and embarrassed 

I had a photo taken holding a letter saying I’m banned for every store in uk and that facial recognition will pick me up, police will be called and I’ll be arrested for trespassing and burglary 

I have famous work for the company 

will they find out and would I really get picked up if I went in a uk store?

I am so scared and yoset

my mental health has never been so bad going through grieving for my brother and going through divorce 

I'm not clear what happened. You say you were "caught with a candle" but also that "i didn’t leave the store I was seen dumping it after paying for the rest of my shopping ".  So how were you caught with a candle if you had left it behind before before you left the shop and never took it out of the shop? 

And what do you mean by "I have famous work for the company"

What store is it please.

Hi sorry for poor typing I’m in such a state

so I had put a little candle in my shopping bag

took the items I bought to the till and paid. Thought to myself what the hell am I doing so went and dumped the candle on a shelf 

security said he saw my dump it out of my bag via cctv

i meant to say I have family that work for the company and various stores.

i signed a letter acknowledging that I’m banned

i am full time carer for for elderly mum and take her to other branches of the store but security said facial recognition will pick me up, police will then arrest me for trespass and burglary 

Hi.

Do you have a copy of the letter you signed? I'm not sure they can do all the things they told you but it would be useful to see what you have in writing.

If there is a reason why you thought to take the candle, we often suggest a chat with your GP to see if there are underlying issues that you could use help with.

HB

• Thanks 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I’m banned for every store in uk and that facial recognition will pick me up, police will be called and I’ll be arrested for trespassing and burglary 

utter total rubbish the lot of that , they cant do that and dont have facial recognition.

bet you didnt even read the letter as i can guarantee it does not say any of that? but of course thats what the security bod told you to make him look very big and manly and powerful.

for get it ever happened.

dx

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you're having trouble posting up the letter, have a read of our upload guide. Click on the word for instructions on another screen.

Also, it's best not to reply by hitting the Quote button, just post in the blank box below the latest post on your thread. I've removed a couple of quotes that don't tell us anything.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Letter reads….

Our shops are private property to which members of the public have Implied license to enter.

That licence can be terminated at our sole discretion at any time. I hereby terminate your license to visit any of our stores whatsoever. Therefore please take this letter as formal notice that with immediate effect your right to enter any Next stores is ended and any future entry thereinto, except by express invitation will amount to trespass which will not be tolerated.

Please note, if you have a directory account you will have to process all returns by mail or courier and will be unable to return items direct to any store.

Please acknowledge the safe receipt of this letter by signing the attached copy and returning it to me at Next Retail Limited, Unit J, Cleveland Retail Park, Trunk Road, Middlesbrough, TS6 6UX.

Yours Faithfully,

next |bravention

Signed

Copies to: Retail Security

I hereby acknowledge the original letter of which this is a true copy and am confident

• Like 1

• dx100uk changed the title to Next Store - Caught shoplifting - well no i dumped a £3 candle.

thats quite a std letter...

yes they can ban you but you simply dont go in that one store for a month or two.

no retail outlets share data of low importance attempted shoplifting across stores.

just ignore the letter dont sign anything and move on with your life

if you get any silly letter from the likes of RLP or DWF mentioning civil restoration ignore!!

• Like 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As you have been advised, it is mainly a load of rubbish. Also you didn't sign to agree to anything. You simply signed that you had received the letter.

My site team colleague @honeybee13 asked you a very interesting question which you haven't addressed. Why did you take the candle in the first place?
If you are having issues then it would certainly be good idea to talk to somebody – your GP as advised – or somebody that you trust. It will help you to work things out.

You didn't even leave the store with the candle. Presumably you put it in your bag intending to steal it and then realised that it wasn't a good idea and you put it back.
I suppose that it is technically an offence – but barely that – and the story clearly being heavy-handed.

They have frightened you – and maybe that is a little wake-up call for you – but you should try to calm it down a bit and certainly find somebody to talk to as soon as you can. A close friend would be a really good idea. I'm sure that they won't criticise you. You will find it is an enormous relief to have somebody listen to and to express empathy

• Thanks 1

Hi

I’m not sure why my reply may not be visible to you.

My brother took his own life 13 days ago, my mums dementia means she’s not remembering it’s happened so dealing with telling her daily, going through imminent divorce with a serving police officer after over a decade of dv. I wish I could tell you why I did it but I don’t know.

waiting on mental health appointments after gp loading me up with medication and not being to give me any other support. As I’ve said I’m really not making excuses just want to give a peek into what’s going on at home right now. Also having 3 kids under 15

Honestly your lack of judging me has helped immensely. I have never felt such shame and embarrassment in my whole life. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Clarebear22 said:

Honestly your lack of judging me has helped immensely. I have never felt such shame and embarrassment in my whole life. 

But in your situation, that is enough of a slap and probably more than you need/deserve.

Support can take an awful long time to come along – and even when it comes it may not work. I hope you have some close friends. Get hold of one and confess about what has happened. I bet you you will get fantastic support

The shop has clearly been heavy-handed – although because there is a major shoplifting problem in the country and I suppose they lose a lot of value every year/week/day so I suppose you can understand them.

Definitely don't worry. Definitely going talk to somebody. A friend would be best.

😊

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

no retail outlets share data of low life attempted shoplifting across stores.

I suspect that is an auto-correct typo for low LEVEL attempted shoplifting

Also: Had you “passed the last point at which you could have made payment”” when you changed your mind and put it back?

• Haha 1

I was still shopping 

the check out was at back of store then I realised they sold bedroom furniture up stairs.

i just hope they don’t have facial recognition as I take my mum in her wheelchair one every month or so (not to this particular branch)

It is MANY years since I worked in retail, but it was ‘SCONE’

Selected an item

Concealed it

Observed continuously, until

No effort to pay at last opportunity to do so, before

Exiting.

So, you could argue that you never intended to steal it. You put it in your bag to carry it more easily, but were going to pay for it. You then changed your mind about buying it, which is when you took it out.

So, put aside concerns about the police / prosecution. Wasn’t going happen even if you had tried (if it hasnt happened already) but won’t, as you never got to the stage of attempting it.

if you get letters from RLP or similar, usual advice is to ignore, but in your case come back and seek advice, as there may be mileage in replying (ONCE only!)  : “no attempt to steal, because ….. so, any liability for costs is denied”

They can still ban you from the store (in the same way as they could ban me by their choice - they don’t have to have or give a reason!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clarebear22 said:

i just hope they don’t have facial recognition

i can assure you they do NOT!

and even if they approach you and ask you to leave, thats what you do.

it ONLY when you refuse to leave it becomes 'trespass' 

they CANNOT involve anyone else (like police) in case its on your mind they could 

ONLY if you refuse to vacate the store.

1 hour ago, Clarebear22 said:

Honestly your lack of judging me has helped immensely.

never happens here

you've a lot going on...:pound:chin up lass...DX

• Thanks 1

and they

48 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

it ONLY when you refuse to leave it becomes 'trespass' 

From a practical viewpoint …. Perhaps!

However, from the legal standpoint, now that they have made it plain the “implied permission of access “ for the OP has been explicitly revoked, the OP would be a trespasser as soon as they entered the property ; even if they hadn't (on that occaision) yet been asked to leave.