HMRC Penalties £2000 For Not Submitting S.A - I Deregistered a few years ago. ***Resolved***

mystic_bertie

@slick132 many thanks for your reply. WHat do you think of the added text in red ;) 

My UTR: xxxxxxxxxx

Dear sir or madam,

Due to me being unable to access my HMRC SA account, I have only just become aware of the penalties applied to my account for failure to file SA tax returns. I tried quite a few  times in the past to login into my SA account however the extremely challenging verification process made it impossible. I still had my login details for my SA account however these were no longer sufficient. Please note i never received any mail either regarding the matter.

As far as I was aware, I applied to stop filing SA returns after my main source of income stopped due to Covid19 during 2020/21. I've sent HMRC a SAR to get more information about this as it's causing me a great deal of stress.

Meanwhile, please accept this letter as my formal appeal against the late filing penalties and interest until I'm able to find out exactly what's happened.

Yours faithfully,

@cjcregg thanks for your reply and highlighting this to me. I did reply to Ethel's comment and i said i had never received any mail or i would have dealt with the problem a long time ago. I have claimed Universal Credit at each address so  HMRC would always have my latest address from the DWP. ;) 

1. Hi CJ, Nothing is being ignored and opinion is nearly always welcome.

In my own experience, I've seen cases where HMRC impose late filing fees with no notifications or demands sent by post.

2. Hi MB, Despite cjcregg's reservations, your draft looks good to go and will at least start the ball rolling while you await the SAR response.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

@cjcregg The appeal against late filing penalties will be out of time anyway so better for MB to act as soon as he's aware of how to proceed.

Do you have any positive input for OP ?

• Like 1

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

good afternoon, i got my letter posted yesterday and i got proof of postage. many thanks ;)

I got a new printer but i have not used it yet, i lost my job and i thought i might return it for a refund, so i used the library instead. If i find a job soon i will hold onto the printer

but i thought i should leave it sealed for now. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

good afternoon.

This week i received 2 statements of liabilities from hmrc,

one for £1443 including the discussed penalties,

the other for £525 including interest.

this is the first time they have ever sent me these statements.

There is no mention of my appeal letter.

Should i give them more time to reply? ;) 

Yes, wait for a specific reply to your last letter.

Give them 30 days and, if no reply by then, come back here to update us.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Good afternoon

i have received amazing news by letter,

they have wiped out all the penalties,

recalculated my income tax and sent me a cheque for £317,

i checked online and the penalties are gone, my balance is now £641,

i'm delighted with this result i can't believe it.

I think i will pay this cheque towards my balance too. :) 

I started a new job at the start of the month so things are getting better for me. ;) 

You are a star and you went to great lengths to help me and i really appreciate your help. ;) 

• Like 4

Sounds like a great result and I'm delighted at your outcome.

I'll stop by later to read this properly and comment further if necessary. 😎

• Like 1

• AndyOrch changed the title to HMRC Penalties £2000 For Not Submitting S.A - I Deregistered a few years ago. ***Resolved***

Well done all 

Topic title updated.

Andy

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

well done

about time you had some good news and a win!

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi again MB,

Great to see they've accepted you don't need to file the tax returns.

Anyone can quickly check to see if you need to file a tax return using this Checker Tool - https://www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-tax-return

You do this anonymously and, in just 10 steps (or less depending on some answers), you can find if you should file a tax return or not.

• Like 2

@Andyorch Many thanks for your assistance, updating the title. ;) 

@dx100uk Thanks very much for your good wishes its good for something to go in my favour ;) 

@slick132 wow my friend i really did not expect it to go so smoothly without some resistance bu there you go. I cant thank you enough for your patience and help on this matter. Ill put you on my xmas card list ;) 

I checked and it says i do not need to file a tax return, i guess i should now deregister from SA and take screenshots of the process ;) 

Hi MB,

Yes, make sure you follow the process to deregister and screenshots are a good idea.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys i did deregister for self assessment however you get nothing to confirm this,

this time i have saved the screen shots,

no ref number given once completed,

no email or texts or letters,

what an appalling service. 

lets hope i don't have to come back here with the same problem ;) 

Hi MB,

Was there any acknowledgement at the time you deregistered and, if so, is that what you Screen Shotted ?

Otherwise, you've done the best you can and hopefully noted the deregistration time and date for any necessary future reference. 

Keep us posted (if needed) ..........

• Like 1

Hi Slick. 

see the attached pdf

- you review all your details,

it tells you at the top of the page that if you hit submit it will be sent to hmrc,

once you submit it, it tells you it has been forwarded to hmrc.

No ref number or acknowledgement of any kind.

Once again your left thinking has it been done properly or not. 

Dereg SA 01 - Copy.pdf

You've done your best and have copies if needed.

Time will tell if they're satisfied ..........

• Like 1