• Tweets

• when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
    • No apology needed, thank you for what you do I am glad to hear they paid. well done on getting back what is yours
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Seahorse v Cabot

Seahorse
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5876 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, I have had a letter back from them. Don't know exactly what it says yet, as I'm still at sea. BUT. They have sent me a cheque for £1, in response to me querying their right to it, since they don't accept they have any duties under the CCA 1974.

So obviously I won't be cashing it, as I would imagine that should I do so, I would be accepting their nonsense about having the rights but not the duties under the CCA. Not sending it back either for it to disappear in mysterious circumstances.

My advice to anyone who has CCA'd Cabot is, write to them. Tell them that if the duties of the original creditor truly do not apply to them, then you would like the £1 statutory fee back that they cashed under false pretenses. After all, if as they say, the duties do NOT apply to them, they should never have accepted or cashed your payment in the first place. So false representation is till a valid accusation, IMHO.

I still advise new Cabot victims to CCA them, and include the statutory fee. And it will be interesting to see if they have learned any lessons now, and if they will return the payment uncashed. I suspect not, though. They seem to think they can con you into accepting their sh1te about the payment being in part payment towards an alleged debt. And I think that will be their standard tactic for a while.

If nothing else, this will cause them more trouble than it's worth. I'd imagine it costs them more that a quid to process and return that £1. And if it ruins someones day down at Cabot Towers, then it's another small victory in the ongoing war to try to get them to act in a lawful, instead of just plain awful, way.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if it ruins someones day down at Cabot Towers, then it's another small victory in the ongoing war to try to get them to act in a lawful, instead of just plain awful, way.

Now Seahorse, why on earth would you want to spoil anyones day? :D :D :D

Erm. Because they totally feck up people's whole LIVES, Sarah. Like, for EVER. And not just a bit of inconvenience either.

Imagine the scenario. You've got yourself into a bit of bother. It seems never ending, and the bloomin banks do nothing to help except get you deeper into debt. And suddenly, POW!!!! A huge debt that you thought was the end of the world has been sold on to a Nice Company who Only Want to Help. How can they help? I hear you ask? Well, sometimes, the answer to your financial woes ISN'T to pay it off it dribs and drabs that you can afford. No!!! SOMETIMES, the best thing to do is to remortgage your house to pay off this debt. Apparently.

But wait. I'm in such financial diffs that nobody would touch me for a mortgage now, would they?

Probably not. But we just happen to have a company that WILL be willing to take you on. At VERY special rates. Those nice people at Morley won't mind helping you out of your situation. In fact, would absolutely relish the idea. And you get to be our own special customer for ever and ever. Isn't that nice?

Or something like that.

Greetings Mr Spud, always a plesure to read your posts. Take a look at my signature, this is something I am trying to put a stop too. I just need more people to sign up

Remember if you find anything I say helpful, please click the scales

tbern123 vs Cabot

1. Cabot again !!! Urgent Help Needed
  2. Litigation - tbern123 V Cabot Financial (Uk) Limited
  3. No more calls from Cabot... lol

If nothing else, this will cause them more trouble than it's worth.

Well said Seahorse, I would also SAR them as I think that was the best £10 I have every spent. Probably 2 full packs of a4 paper, with some ones having to hand write a line of text on the top of about half of them.

I will now write and ask for my £1 back.

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

What a great shame some people have managed to get rid of Richard Spud. I wondered how long it would be before the gremlins got to work! Shame, shame.

At least Richards' brilliant replies are still on the threads. How could he be mistrusted? To the clowns who have seen him off - shame on you. No doubt you'll be rounding on some of the other knowledgeable people now!

I've never found Richard Spud's posts to be anything but informative and constructive. If it's true that he's gone that's a genuine shame, and I hope he'll reconsider.

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

At least Richards' brilliant replies are still on the threads. How could he be mistrusted? To the clowns who have seen him off - shame on you. No doubt you'll be rounding on some of the other knowledgeable people now!

Unfortunately they are not, have checked a few including last three pages on here and they are all removed. There are two threads that are about his withdrawing

regards

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/100466-thanks-richard.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/100730-richard-spud-cags-loss.html

OK, I've a couple of things to get through, so I'd better get my typing fingers out. First one is, I have Cabot's Complaints Resolution pamphlet...

Putting the pieces together... resolving your complaint with us. (With a nice little piccie of bits of a jigsaw fitting nicely together. Sweeeet.)

about us

Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited is part of the Cabot Financial Group. e are the Group's servicing company and contracted agent.

We collect outstanding balances on accounts which the Cabot Financial Group has purchased.

Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited is a member of the Credit Services Association who operate a Code of Practice sanctioned by the Office of Fair Trading.

The Credit Services Association is the trade body that serves the debt collection and debt purchasing industry an complaints may also be referred to them.

our service promise

Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited has a reputation for providing excellent customer serice and it's a reputation we work hard to maintain. But we also recognise that sometimes things can go wrong. In the event we have made a mistake, or we could have done something better, we will do our best to put this right for you.

This leaflet sets out the steps we take to ensure your complaint is fully considered.

tell us if things go wrong

step one

If any issues arise in the course of your dealings with us, please talk to us and let us know what your concerns are. The chances are things can be resolved quickly by the Collections Team Leader, Collections Manager or another member of staff - so please speak to them early on so any issues can be settled as soon as posible.

step two

If no one can address your concerns at the first instance, the matter will be referred to the Complaints department. A comlaint in relation to a specific individual shall immediately be referred to the Complaints department.

If you referred your complaint to the Complaints department or we have referred your complaint on to them, you shall receive formal confirmation and acknowledgement of your complaint in writing within 3 business days of receipt of your complaint. We will then look into your complaint and write to you within 10 working days of receiving notice of your complaint. Our letter will set out our understanding of the issue and any proposals for resolving matters which we think are appropriate. If, for any reason, we are still investigating your complaint after 10 working days, we will write and let you know how things are progressing.

step three

If you are unhappy with our response, we shall pass full details of your complaint to an appropriate manager for final review, unless our "final response" has been issued.

In the event hat we are unable to settle your complaint after an appropriate manager has carried out a final review, we will send to you in writing our final response. We will send you our final response within 8 weeks of receipt of your complaint. Our final response shall provide details on referring your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service for an independant review. That service is a free, independant service for consumers with unresolved complaints about financial firms. The decision of the Financial Ombudsman Service will be binding upon us, unless the Court orders otherwise.

If your complaint has not been resolved by us after 8 weeks and you have not received our final response, you are entitled to take the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service without waiting any longer. It is, however, very unusual for investigations to go on this long.

The Financial Ombudsman Service will only consider you (sic) once you have tried to resolve it with us and have followed the process set out in this leaflet.

Contat details for the Financial Ombudsman Service and the Credit Services Association can be found overleaf.

independant advice

You can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service by writing to them at:

Financial Ombudsman Service

South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall

London, E14 9SR

Telephone: 0845 080 1800

You will find more information on the Financial Ombudsman Service website:

Financial Ombudsman Service

You can also contact the Credit Services Association in relation to your complaint by writing to them at:

Credit Services Association

Wingrove House

2nd Floor, Ponteland Road

Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE5 3AJ

Telephone: 0191 286 5656

You will find more information on the Credit Services Association website:

welcome to the csa group

We may monitor or record cals with you in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help improve our quality of service.

Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited (Company no. 3439445) is registered in England with registered address: 10 Kings Hill Avenue, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4LT

Data Protection Act

Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to obtain a copy of the personal information Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited holds on you. If you would like to request a copy of your file, please contact the Customer Relations Department in writing.

There is a charge of £10 for this service which should be payable tp Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited. Please make sure when requesting your information under the Data Protection Act that you make it clear in your letter that the fee for £10is for a "subject access request".

Please note that only Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited processes customer data. Any payments made payable to any other company in the Cabot Financial Group shall either be returned or refunded if cashed.

Right, I've also got a letter from my pal Patrick, along with a cheque for £1 as a refund for my payment sent with my CCA request...

15th June 2007

Mr Seahorse

etc, etc

Thank you for your email dated 5th June 2007. Only took 10 days to answer this time then.

As previously stated Cabot does not agree with your interpretation and believes that your arguements are unfounded. However I will respond to the points raised in your email. Notwithstanding, I believe that Cabot has clarified the multiple points raised by you on previous occasions.

You have stated in your email that Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited has failed to provide you with a copy of the credit agreement. I would advise that Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited has previously supplied you with a copy of the credit agreement, which you areed and consented to with Barclaycard, which is sufficient. As previously stated it is clear that you have signed the application form supported by the statement "This is a Crdit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Sign it only if you want to be legally bound by its terms." I would advise therefore this is a regulated credit agreement for the purposes of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Furthermore, in consideration of your acceptance of the agreement, you received the availability of credit from Barclaycard by way of a credit card. In addition I would again reiterate that it is not Cabot's obligation undr section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to supply you with a copy of your credit agreement as no company within the Cabot Financial Group, which includes Cabot Financial (UK) Limited and Cabot Finanial (Europe) Limited, is the creditor.

With regards the statutory fee you sent to us, please find enclosed a refund for that £1 fee as this was processed in error.

We have previously sent you the "hello" and "goodbye" letters, which you have received, and these are proof of legal assignment. The "hello" letter we issued on 15th February 2007 was a duplicate copy of the letter we sent you on 11th December, shortly after Cabot purchased your account. As for the copy of the "goodbye" letter we issued, that was not dated and purely sent to you for your records and to confirm the change of ownership of this account. The letter you refer to in your second paragraph, as being dated after the original date it was sent is in fact the "hello" letter and was not issued by Barclaycard.

You state in your email "is to be in no way construed as an attempt to dodge any aleged debt". In our letter dated 17th May 2007, we referred to your email of 16th February 2007 in which you indicated that you would be prepared to enter into an arrangement to settle the outstanding balance on your account. As previously stated, we have clearly stated our position to you on several occasions but as yet, you have still not offered any repayment proposals.

You have requested a copy of our complaints procedure, which I have enclosed for you. You have mentioned that you may consider lodging a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service ("FOS") about the account if you do not receive a satisfactory response within 8 weeks from the date of your email. I would respectfully advise you that the FOS is only able to take on investigations about our industry from 6th April 2007. Given that your concerns were raised prior to this date, in January 2007, you will have no recourse to the FOS.

Cabot has at all times acted appropriately and in accordance with all laws, regulations, codes of practice and guidance applicable to its industry. Regrettably if no arrangement to settle your outstanding balance is forthcoming, we shall have no other option but to return your account in our collections process. Therefore I would recommend you contact us on 0845 0700 116 in order to discuss the options available to you in settling the outstanding balance of £2,032.14 on your account. Interest has been accruing on your account, but has yet to be added to the outstanding total.

If you have any other queries in relation to the above account, please do not hesitate to contact me on 01732 775105. The Customer Assurance department is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Yours Sincerely

Patrick Hill

And I'm just about to email this to them...

Dear Mr Hill,

Thank you for your letter of 15th June 2007, he contents of which are noted.

However, I am having some difficulty in reaching the same conclusions as you, and can see no further point in continuing any sort of dialogue, as your beliefs are so obviously at odds with my own.

Therefore I wish to inform you that, as you have in no way proved to my satisfaction the there IS an outstanding balance due to Cabot Financial (UK) Limited, and that Cabot Financial (UK) Limited has any right to any outstanding balance in any event, and that the amount stated by you is correct, I shall NOT be entering into any proposals to repay the amount claimed. If you wish to reconsider your attempts to sidestep my questions and concerns, and provide the information requested, I shall of course be only too willing to discuss this matter further. Until then, I shall not be contacting you again.

I would also like to thank you for the leaflet containing the Complaints Procedure relating to Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited. However, if you had read my previous email properly, you would have seen that I clearly wished you to inform me of the procedure relating to Cabot Financial (UK) Limited. That being the company who’s Complaints Procedure I wish to invoke. As I have yet to make a complaint to them, your advice regarding the date from which the FOS will consider a complaint has no relevance, as that date passed some time ago.

I also take exception to the information in that leaflet, under the heading Independent Advice. Am I honestly expected to believe that the Credit Services Association is truly impartial, with your Chief Executive, Mr Maynard holding the position he does within the Association?

In this respect of the above, you may wish to consider the following:

My local Sheriff Court details are:

Peterhead Sheriff Court

Queen Street

Peterhead

AB42 1TP

DX: 521376

Telephone: 01779-476676

Fax: 01779-472435

Yours Sincerely,

Seahorse

Good response, you should start getting the standard computer generated letters now, god knows how many it takes to clear the collections process before they enter finally initiate court action. Good luck!

Seahorse - good response - they make us laugh with their "you should complain to CSA" :D Bunch of jokers aren't they?

KM can't find the time to answer his own Cabot Mail - let alone the stuff at CSA - our friend Patrick is having a laugh?

Excellent reply Seahorse, I love the CSA comment, I will keep that one for later.

As for the CSA dodge they are trying, as soon as they start the collection process again you can then complain about that to the FSA as a completely new complaint which is after the date your buddy Patrick mentioned.

Also, mention again, the fact that there is some question about the "hello" letters and the "good bye" letters they are saying proves (bullshoit) that they have been assigned the debt as it look like Cabot (we already know they do) produce both letter.

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

Well, if any of Cabot's MIB just happen to be reading this, and are STILL under the misapprehension that they can take this to court relying on an application form as proof of a debt.... might I suggest you have a wee read of the thread that THIS post is on...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/90012-just-been-court-cl-3.html#post951903

Guess what my defence will be if you decide to try. :D