• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

UPS lost MacBook sold on eBay for £639.99 - Taking UPS to small claims court @UPS_UK

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had sold a MacBook on eBay for £639.99 and sent it with UPS.

The label was bought via Packlink and no extras were paid for insurance. The tracking showed MacBook as delivered on UPS website however the buyer informed me that they did not receive it.

Long story short, after the investigation by the UPS, they could not locate it and automatically refunded me £60 as compensations. I did not agree to the level of compensation and made them aware of it at the time however they considered the case as closed on their end and i refunded the buyer in full. I believe they were careless with delivery as the driver must have possessed the item to be able to scan it and mark it as delivered.

I have been reading around on this forum and I am planning to go against the UPS to the small claims court under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 and base my claim on section 49 and 57 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

my plan is to first issue them with a claim letter giving them 14 days to reply and after that proceed with the MoneyClaim website online. Please do guide me if i seem to be missing anything.

Please note that the incident happened in early 2020 and i had full intention to go to court ,i retained the evidence since then however kept delaying it due to health issues.

I understand that there is a 6 year limit to bring forward the claim so this should be ok.

• Like 1

• dx100uk changed the title to UPS lost MacBook sold on eBay for £639.99 - Taking UPS to small claims court @UPS_UK

Okay, you seem to have done the reading and grasped the principles involved. That's a good start.

You're quite right about the six year limitation period so there is no difficulty here.

Please prepare your letter of claim and post it here so we can have a look before you send it off.

Don't imagine that they are going to settle simply on your letter of claim so also register onto the MoneyClaim County Court website and start preparing your claim there.

Post a draft of your particulars of claim here so we can have a look.

Thank you for your reply. I have attached the body of my letter of claim. Can you please have a look and let me know if it seems fine to you.

I put the value of my item as £649.99 which was the total of original transaction i charged to the buyer. (£639.99 + £10 for postage and packaging). 

Claim Letter - Body.pdf

The letter of claim is ok but rather over detailed in my view and I don't think that it needs the references to the particular sections of the consumer rights act at this point .

References to the rights of third parties Act is useful .

It should be headed "letter of claim*.

And at the end you shouldn't only be asking for a satisfactory response. You should be requiring that they give you full reimbursement within 14 days or else you will start your legal action. Blah blah blah.

If you decide to make amendments to the letter of claim then please post it here

Thank you for the advice. I have amended my letter of claim. This is just the main body of the letter so i will be adding the heading "Letter of Claim" and other formalities before printing and posting it.

Do you think if it's a good idea to let them know that i will be adding court fee etc to the total amount upon the claim going to next stage?

Claim Letter - Body (2).pdf

• Like 1

It doesn't matter whether you add that or not, it goes with the territory.

They don't care what you do but you might as well add it anyway

• 3 weeks later...

Letter of claim delivered and signed by UPS on 07/03/2023. No response received.

I am now filing my MoneyClaims form and here is a proposed particulars of claim. Can you please have a look at it. Thank you

"The claimant used the defendant's parcel delivery service on 28/01/2020 to deliver a parcel inside the UK. Defendant’s reference number is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. The parcel contained an Apple MacBook Pro valued at £649.99 - full details have been provided to the defendant.

The parcel has been lost by the defendant’s breach of contract and their negligence. The defendant only refunded £60 and the original delivery charge.

The claimant seeks to enforce contractual terms as a third party under Section 1(5) of Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 and be reimbursed for the remaining amount of £589.99 plus interest per section 69 County Courts act 1984 plus costs."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Defence (redacted).pdfI had issued the claim (particulars of claim attached in last post) and have received the defence from UPS now and attached it to this post. I need an opinion from the senior members of the forum on the section no. 4 of the defence.

The section no. 4 of the defence states that:

Further, the Defendant notes the Claimant’s seeks to enforce the terms of a contract pursuant
to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999. The Claimant has not pleaded the
following in relation to such:
4.1 The parties to the agreement to ship the subject consignment;
4.2 The date of the agreement with the Third Party to ship the subject consignment;
4.3 The terms of the contract between the parties to the agreement;
4.4 Whether the agreement expressly provides that a third party may enforce the contract;
4.5 Whether a term of the contract purports to confer a benefit on the Claimant; and/or
4.6 Whether, on a proper construction of the contract the parties intended the term to be
enforceable.

My direct contract is with the Packlink as i bought label from them for the shipping. In this case i am making a claim against UPS as a third party and the main parties are Packlink and the UPS. I do not have access to the terms of the contract between Packlink and the UPS so does that mean i am unable to address the section 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6 of the defence?

The Rights of Third Parties Act 1999 states that:

(1)Subject to the provisions of this Act, a person who is not a party to a contract (a “third party”) may in his own right enforce a term of the contract if—
(a)the contract expressly provides that he may, or
(b)subject to subsection (2), the term purports to confer a benefit on him.
(2)Subsection (1)(b) does not apply if on a proper construction of the contract it appears that the parties did not intend the term to be enforceable by the third party.

Any help will be appreciated. Many thanks

Edited by Falcon123

What they are saying is that you have not referred to the contract between packlink and UPS.

This is correct of course.

Right to the immediately and tell them that you see that in their defence they have referred frequently to the contract and that you would be grateful if they would supply you with a copy.

Tell them that if they refuse then you will definitely decline mediation. You will go to trial and they will be required to provide a copy of the contract as part of the court bundle before trial.

Furthermore, that you will draw the attention of the court to the fact that they refused to supply you with the contract before trial and even before mediation even though you ask them to do so, even though they have referred to the contract specifically in the defence and even though to fail to do so would effectively and potentially waste the time of the parties and of the court.

Do this straight away.

Post a copy of what you send here

Tell them also that if eventually they refuse to supply a copy and if they fail to include a copy in their court bundle that you will then invite the court to come to its own conclusions as to your position as a beneficially entitled third party

Please see my draft email below. I look forward to your response before I send this email to them.

Dear [REDACTED],

I see that in your defence (Section 4.1), you have stated that "The claimant has not pleaded the following in relation to such: The parties to the agreement to ship the subject consignment". I would like to inform you that i had identified Packlink and the UPS as parties in my letter of claim received by the UPS on 07/03/2023.

In your defence you have referred frequently to the contract between packlink and your client and I would be grateful if you can supply me with a copy of the contract between Packlink and the UPS . If you do not agree to provide a copy then I will be declining mediation. I will go to the trial and you will be required to provide a copy of the contract as part of the court bundle before trial.

Furthermore, I will draw the attention of the court to the fact that you refused to supply me with the contract before trial and even before mediation even though I asked you to do so, even though you referred to the contract specifically in the defence and even though to fail to do so would effectively and potentially waste the time of the parties and of the court. If you refuse to supply a copy and if you fail to include a copy in your court bundle then I will invite the court to come to its own conclusions as to my position as a beneficially entitled third party.

Kind regards,

[REDACTED]

I have made one edit in bold type.

If you are happy with this then go ahead and send it.

I don't think they will like the letter very much.

Oh dear !

Please could you start your own thread about this and we would like very much to see the defence. Also, any other documentation of they have filed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @jbradbu1. I hope that too.

@BankFodder I still haven't got a response from them after this email. I have received Directions Questionnaire from the court to be filed by 22nd May.

Should I file the Directions Questionnaire now or wait for their response till closer to the deadline and and then file it.

Also, should I opt in or opt out for the mediation?

Wait until Wednesday to send it.

In terms of mediation, it is a matter for you – but we are now suggesting that you decline mediation and go to trial.

The basis for declining mediation is that the matter involves a question of law which needs to be decided by the courts and there are no rights on either side which aren't able to be compromised in any kind of negotiation

court name

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

its on your claimform or the claim history on MCOL

County Court at Northampton
(County Court Business Centre)

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...