Getting the runaround trying to get a refund for an order Currys cancelled

Smegup
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 505 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I hope somebody can give me some advice or an alternative approach to try.

I had £200 Currys egift card and placed an order online for the same amount. Currys then cancelled the order and the cancellation email said no money would be taken but when I checked the balance of the card it was £0. I contacted Currys through the online chat and was told the refund would go back on the card in 5-7 days. I waited a week but the balance was still £0. Contacted Currys again online and was told that the refund was being processed and they would be sending out a new gift card by post, which I should receive in 7-14 days. Two weeks later I hadn’t received anything and balance still showed as £0. Went to the online chat for a third time, this time I was told that there had been a “technical error” and that they would email the “back office” to get it sorted. I asked how long it would be before I would receive the refund and was told I should get an email response within 24 hours. So I gave them several days and when no response nor refund was received I decided to give them a call. I spoke to the operator and was told a similar story, he had to email the relevant team and they would get back to me in 24 hours. Pointing out that that’s what I was told four days ago, the operator responded with “that’s the timeline they’re given”. I asked if I could be copied in to the email so I could chase it up myself but was told it was not possible as it was an internal system.

So here we are a week after the phone call and still nothing. Not sure what else I can do other than keep contacting them and going round in circles again? All contact avenues appear to lead to the same frontline team, who seem completely useless when it comes to resolving this. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

I hope somebody can give me some advice or an alternative approach to try.

I had £200 Currys egift card and placed an order online for the same amount.

Currys then cancelled the order and the cancellation email said no money would be taken but when I checked the balance of the card it was £0.

I contacted Currys through the online chat and was told the refund would go back on the card in 5-7 days. I waited a week but the balance was still £0. Contacted Currys again online and was told that the refund was being processed and they would be sending out a new gift card by post, which I should receive in 7-14 days.

Two weeks later I hadn’t received anything and balance still showed as £0.

Went to the online chat for a third time, this time I was told that there had been a “technical error” and that they would email the “back office” to get it sorted. I asked how long it would be before I would receive the refund and was told I should get an email response within 24 hours.

So I gave them several days and when no response nor refund was received I decided to give them a call.

I spoke to the operator and was told a similar story, he had to email the relevant team and they would get back to me in 24 hours.

Pointing out that that’s what I was told four days ago, the operator responded with “that’s the timeline they’re given”. I asked if I could be copied in to the email so I could chase it up myself but was told it was not possible as it was an internal system.

So here we are a week after the phone call and still nothing.

Not sure what else I can do other than keep contacting them and going round in circles again? All contact avenues appear to lead to the same frontline team, who seem completely useless when it comes to resolving this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by BankFodder
Restructured post to make it readable

Please note that I have had to restructure your post and introduce spacing to make it readable – especially on a small screen such as a telephone.

Firstly you should appreciate that you are dealing with Currys. This company is legendary for its poor customer service either because of failing systems, poor staff development or simply bloody-minded refusal to honour their own customers contractual rights.

These people need to be bullied and we can help you do it.

On the basis of what you say, if you start small claim in the County Court your chances of success are 100%.

I suggest that you don't muck around and that you send them a letter of claim giving them 14 days to return the money to your account or the credit to your account or else you will see them in the County Court and without any further notice.

This would not be a bluff. It may produce the result you want but it is very possible that you have actually to issue the claim. It's incredible that one has to do this on such a cut and dried issue but that's Currys for you.

If you do do this then you will also be able to add interest 8% onto the money you are claiming which isn't bad at today's rates.

You will also recover all your costs.

Let us know if this is the way the would like to go. I'm afraid it's the only thing that is going to attract their attention and get them moving but if they don't comply with your letter of claim within the 14 days then you must absolutely issue on day 15 otherwise you lose all credibility.

AFAIK they can't refund to an egift card.

they will issue a new egift card

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you have to take them to court then you would sue them for the value of the gift card and a judgement would order them to pay the money.

Frankly if it gets to issuing proceedings then I would start negotiating either for the cash value of the claim or a more valuable gift card in return for withdrawing the claim.

Thanks for the responses. Based on what I read in other Currys threads on here it’s pretty much what I expected.

Would there be any detriment in waiting until January to send a letter of claim? I’m reasonably happy with proceeding with one but I’d rather avoid legal deadlines being wrapped up (excuse the pun) in Christmas delays with post and bank holidays. Plus 15 days from today is the 25th December and I’m just not that much of a Scrooge to issue court proceedings on Christmas Day 😆

No disadvantage at all.

Send the letter of claim and follow-up on day 15 – when you are ready

have a read of this:

your might find it useful

dx

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...