Protected conversation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Depends on the agreement between you and the employers.  

Did the employers state that they required confidentiality?

What would the consequences be if you shared details of the conversations you held with the employers?  

Think it would be wise not to share details of the conversations until you have received any settlement.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

We may not agree a settlement.  The are offering nothing in cash, just the offer of an agreed reference and managing the communication to the organisation.  

The alternative is to start the performance management process.  I'm undecided really.  I've made a counter proposal with a modest number of months as compensation.  Don't know what their reaction will be.

Thanks

Abo

WWW.ACAS.ORG.UK

The Acas Code of Practice on settlement agreements.

Have you obtained employment law advice about the underperformance issue that the employers are concerned about?

Is it clear that you have underperformed personally?  

If they are only offering a reference and managing communications to your colleagues, does that really constitute a form of settlement?

I think you have done the right thing by asking for a sum of money to be paid as part of the settlement and while you are waiting for them to respond, you could consult a Solicitors that handles employment disputes.  If you are a member of a Union, they may be able to help.  If not, if you have legal expenses cover as part of Home Insurance, check the policy wording to see if it would cover expenses related to employment disputes.  If no Union or Insurance, many local Solicitors that can help with employment matters, may be willing to offer a free half hour consultation.

Remember that when you start to speak to prospective employers you apply to work with, that they may ask you about the circumstances that led you to leave your previous employment.  Therefore, it is important that you deal with the underperformance issue effectively, by taking advice about the fairness of what the employers have expressed to you.  

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If you agreed to a protected conversation it's protected on both sides. Did they explain what that meant at the outset of the conversation? Did you agree to it?

They may withdraw the offer and any money you manage to negotiate if you blab. If you can't keep to the terms, they can't rely on you. So IMHO you would be daft to gossip. The minute you breach the PC conditions you tell them there is no point settling with you.

Usually you can discuss with a union rep or a family member during your decision making period.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

My manager described it as a Without Prejudice conversation which I believe is technically incorrect (there was no dispute between us or pending) but the clear intent was to discuss my potential departure.

No obligations were placed on me at the meeting.  I asked the question because I may well reject the offer of a SA (because there is no payment as compensation) and go down the performance management route.  I want to know if I can tell colleagues what has happened.

Thanks

Abo

IME, at this stage they firmly want you out. I'd be trying to make the best of it financially, which includes being quiet.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

so things to think about

- notice period payment

- outstanding holidays

- how long until you get another job

- outplacement support to get another jib

- solicitors fees to review the settlement agreement with you (should be standard)

be realistic - people think they'll get a years wages! 1 - 3 months is far more common.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update.

I asked for, and got, 2 months which I thought fair.  They tried to pressure me into signing the SA a couple of days after I received it.  I pushed back on this too and got 10 days to consider, and the termination date to match.

Thanks for the replies.

• Like 3