Should we trust Sunak or the next PM to fix the Country's problems? (title revised 24/10/22)

and what have they actually achieved

Lost most of the  'migrant food picking and HGV drivers, free acces to the EU markets - all devastating UK business

.. for and an INCREASE in 'migrants' ... it would seem

Rather than sending them to rwanda, offer them the cost of that flight to work in the fields - ner sod that - I'll do it for a few weeks at that fee then buy a house with the proceeds

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

Yep - as I stated here before. When I looked at the detail, the way the BoE managed that was well impressive.

Did the job and managed to avoid a political trap.

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Interesting items on the Guardian live feed today.

10.02  In his interview with BBC Breakfast, [Chris] Philp was asked about his previous job and whether he would apologise for his role in the disastrous mini-budget. He declined. But he also implied that Truss herself, rather than Kwasi Kwarteng, the chancellor, was primarily to blame for what happened. He told the programme:

The decisions around the mini-budget were taken principally by the then prime minister and to a lesser extent the then chancellor.

Where is Kwarteng now? I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere.

The decisions around the mini-budget were taken principally by the then prime minister and to a lesser extent the then chancellor.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Dont doubt that in any way

Kwazi was always a reliable mouthpiece, happy to spout whatever drivel has current boss wanted spouting.

One of the ones they would rely on when everyone else said 'no ****ing way I'm going out and spouting that doodoo

Theres few others who would be Truss' glove puppet I think.

I'm still gobsmacked at the UK having Truss and Kwasi in the top 2 jobs at all

Got time for a few more before Chrisstmas

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Breaking

WWW.THENATIONAL.SCOT

TORY Cabinet minister Gavin Williamson is under official investigation after allegedly sending “threatening” messages to his party’s former…

The Tory Legacy

"A formal complaint has reportedly been submitted to the Tory Party regarding “threatening” behaviour by Williamson. Tortoise reported that Wendy Morton, the former chief whip under Liz Truss, has passed on details of “vile and threatening messages” she received in the days before the former Prime Minister resigned.

An MP told the publication that the submission included screen grabs of messages sent by Williamson. They also said there was “quite a bit of evidence” and that a number of Conservative MPs were willing to support Morton’s allegations."

The Tory Legacy

On being queried about a loss of parliamentary support for the area while he was eating Camel poo,

Handcock was alleged to have refuted this with an angry retort while chewing some wallaby poo:

'I dont recognise that claim. My constituents wont notice any difference in my support while I'm in a jungle the other side of the world, or perhaps might even see better support for the area.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Locals unimpressed by their West Suffolk constituency being left without parliamentary representation when the MP appears on ITV show

The Tory Legacy

On the record

Deputy chair of Hancock’s local Conservative Association on his planned jungle adventure.

“I’m looking forward to him eating a kangaroo’s penis. Quote me. You can quote me that.”

+1

So wheres the recall?

Plus

WWW.IRISHMIRROR.IE

I'm a Celebrity campmate Matt Hancock is said to have skipped the Tory party conference to film Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins, with a source saying that he wanted to show off his physical fitness

• I agree 1

The Tory Legacy

Car registrations for 2022 are on track to see its worst year in 40 years the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said.

WWW.REUTERS.COM

An automobile industry body in the UK on Friday slashed its full-year outlook for car registrations in the country by 2.2%, as supply chain...

The Tory Legacy

The Home Office is hiring asylum decision-makers from customer service and sales positions at McDonald’s, Tesco and Aldi as part of a recruitment drive to clear its huge backlog of asylum applications, the Observer can reveal.

The new recruits, hired through online advertising and high street recruitment agencies, have no prior experience or knowledge of the asylum system. Many are placed on rolling, temporary contracts, typically for three months. Despite being promised comprehensive training, decision-makers report being “left to fend for themselves” after two days, and having to conduct complex interviews and make “life or death” decisions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/05/revealed-novice-staff-making-life-and-death-asylum-decisions

From today's Times on Gavin Williamson. Can he stay in post now?

Williamson, the Cabinet Office minister, lashed out at Wendy Morton, the Conservative Party’s first female chief whip, last month amid unfounded claims she excluded him from attending the Queen’s funeral at Westminster Abbey.

In a WhatsApp message, he told her “There is a price for everything”, before saying her conduct was “absolutely disgusting” and that she had chosen to “f*** us all over”. When challenged, he retorted that it “looks s***” and that “perception becomes reality”.

Morton told the party on October 24, the day before she resigned as chief whip, that she wished to make a formal complaint and separately alerted the Cabinet Office propriety and ethics team.

@honeybee13

Would have to say that I think the whistle-blower in The Guardian article has probably not provided an accurate picture of the Home Office recruitment.

Having worked in the Civil Service for awhile, the recruitment of staff explained in the article does not mirror what I have seen. Most now join the Civil Service with good qualifications e.g.  3 A'Levels or higher and a majority have good level of previous work experience. Within the recruitment process there is quite often a situational judgement test to see how people make decisions.

Yes there may be people recruited where their last job was totally unrelated to what the Home Office deals with, but with any technical job, some people will be quick learners who perform well within a few weeks after joining and others will struggle.

What I take from the article is that the training and support for new staff should be looked at. For a department like the Home Office, you would expect them to have experienced staff mentoring new colleagues, guiding them on the processes and where to look for information. The Government produces assessments made about other countries, so I am not sure why they would be looking at travel guide publications.

Perhaps the salary level needs to be higher, so they retain staff and can more easily recruit people with a higher level of qualifications and experience.

• Like 2

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for the insights, UB. I think the most worrying part is that people are just being left on their own after a couple of days of training. A rolliing three-month contract isn't very attractive either, although I can see why they might want to organise it that way.

My husband said it sounds like a similar staffing model to Test and Trace. It just sounds as if the Home Office want to show higher staffing levels but don't care about competence in the job.

• I agree 1

It smacks of cost cutting I think UB has clarified what should be happening, but Home Offce will be under Hunt and Sunak's cosh to make big savings.

• I agree 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

We need to be aware of the difference between traditional civil service recruitment, and the modern populist dido call centre minimum wage at maximum profit to pals mentality.

Are these traditional civil service recruitment, or 'outsourced recruitment and management @unclebulgaria67

and can you supply some evidence that 'traditional' civil service career paths and mechanisms are being followed rather than the reported people from job centers :

'placed on rolling, temporary contracts, typically for three months. Despite being promised comprehensive training, decision-makers report being “left to fend for themselves” after two days, and having to conduct complex interviews and make “life or death” decisions.'

The Tory Legacy

@tobyjugg2

Have a go at applying for positions advertised on Civil Service Jobs to find out the process. It is not that straightforward.

Yes it may be true that some temporary staff are recruited via agencies, but I find it difficult to believe that after 2 days these people are on the front line conducting interviews with people seeking asylum in the UK. If that were true, then senior officials and ministers in the Home Office would have to consider whether they should be keeping their jobs.

People do not move from flipping burgers one week to conducting Home Office asylum interviews the week after.  That would be ridiculous if true.

1 hour ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Yes it may be true that some temporary staff are recruited via agencies, but I find it difficult to believe that after 2 days these people are on the front line conducting interviews with people seeking asylum in the UK. If that were true, then senior officials and ministers in the Home Office would have to consider whether they should be keeping their jobs.

People do not move from flipping burgers one week to conducting Home Office asylum interviews the week after.  That would be ridiculous if true.

So in the world of 10's of billions spent on dido trace a test, 10s of billions spent giving pals with cakeshops, rat poisen sellers and just created companies PPE contracts, ministers sending RN gunships to 'push back' rubber dingies with children in them, and trying to deport immigrants to Rwanda, your entire basis of questioning the report is 'you find it difficult to believe these right wing tosspots like BRAVERMAN 'wouldn't do that ?

... as it wasn't done 10 years ago.

Get real.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

WWW.MSN.COM

The huge loss in value reflects the exposure many private sector pension funds have to liability-driven investment strategies.

How can you believe that unc?

Surely No UK chancellor would do something that caused that ...

Such happening would make the ERM debacle seem like careful fiscal genius

We have to amend our beliefs given evidence

I remember earlier in these threads I didn't believe at first russia could, let alone did, carry radioactive material across London to poison someone, let alone that they were successful and got away.

I have now for a long time.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

I can believe the incompetence of ministers costing the country a fortune, as the evidence was seen by the whole country on TV.

Home Office officials allowing staff with 2 days training to conduct asylum seeker interviews?

All of those asylum seekers refused their applications would no doubt all appeal and then it just adds to the queue of people awaiting their appeals. And when the appeal is heard, the fact that someone with say 2 weeks experience made the decision becomes known. 

And ministers allowing staff with 2 days training to allow asylum applications and apply the relevant conditions for this?  Do you think the training would be so comprehensive in 2 days that these staff would know how to process the applications including issuing all of the paperwork?

I don't always believe media articles, when what is being reported appears to be too amazing to take seriously.

• Like 1

I can believe the incompetence of ministers costing the country a fortune, as the evidence was seen by the whole country on TV.

Home Office officials allowing staff with 2 days training to conduct asylum seeker interviews?

All of those asylum seekers refused their applications would no doubt all appeal and then it just adds to the queue of people awaiting their appeals. And when the appeal is heard, the fact that someone with say 2 weeks experience made the decision becomes known. 

Yes, as is happening with apparently 80% successful

Not noted the issues Home office and civil service officials 'problems' reported, and some being sacked?

(like ethics officials)

And ministers allowing staff with 2 days training to allow asylum applications and apply the relevant conditions for this?  Do you think the training would be so comprehensive in 2 days that these staff would know how to process the applications including issuing all of the paperwork?

The article states they are just presenting 80% increase in staff/resources to resolve .... even if they aren;t resolving squat - which sounds bang on to me

I don't always believe media articles, when what is being reported appears to be too amazing to take seriously.

I didnt and dont find it amazing at all after trace a test, PPE, fracking vote etc etc?

Why do you?

The Tory Legacy

.. perhaps its just the apparent total lack of any such incredulity on your part regarding those Daily Mail links you seem to like so much to post?

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy