Should we trust Sunak or the next PM to fix the Country's problems? (title revised 24/10/22)

Another example is all the Tory Mps on the news claiming 'I have spoken with my constituents and they have no appetite for a general election and just want us to get on with blah blah

Well they need to speak with constituents outside their local conservative party clubhouse

Not strictly speaking a lie - but very dishonest IMO

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

Not that its likely (for a few reasons) but i'm unsure whether Charlie can say NO to sunak and require an election.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Respected lawyer George Peretz explains the ramifications of Rees-Mogg's/Truss's ditching of 'retained EU law'.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

A bill sweeping aside EU law tells business that critical legislation is subject to ministerial whims, says George Peretz KC

• Sad 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Yep loads of problems real and imagined if charlie did,

BUT all he would be doing in this situation would be defending British democratic principles in allowing the people to choose, something the existing parliamentary establishment is denying

That 'ministers are the law in' your later post is yet further undermining the basis of our democracy.

Laws are created and defined by Parliament but interpreted and enforced by an independent Judicial system, not the whims of ministers

The Tory Legacy

So, rather than 'dear oh dear' is Charles going to say 'so tell me, how many of the British people voted for you?'

Please .. Pretty please with chocolate sprinkles and whipped English cream

or even 'dear oh dear Oh Dear'

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Unbelievable. Trussonomics has been an object lesson for the world in how not to run an economy and she's still telling other people to do the same as she did.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Outgoing PM tells successor he should continue cutting taxes and keep planned rise in defence spending

• I agree 1

and Sunak, claims he will bring back 'integrity at every level

.. then re-appoints Braverman as home secretary 6 days after she sent confidential information to the wrong person over private email and was forced to resign

.. Same old - rules and integrity are for others, not us mentality

• Sad 1

The Tory Legacy

Somewhat off at a tangent but

Now, the White House has introduced new intelligence into the public realm with a report that Iranian troops have been “directly engaged on the ground” in Crimea, where they are apparently supporting drone attacks on Ukrainian civilians and infrastructure. This news pushes the narrative of the conflict in a dark direction, representing the first open acknowledgment from the US that a third party is directly militarily involved rather than simply supplying the Russian army.

• Sad 1

The Tory Legacy

Sunak claims - trying to assert his right to do whatever he likes:

“the mandate my party earned in 2019 is not the sole property of any one individual”

He needs to be reminded constantly and strongly:

Its actually the manifesto (policies and assurances) which gained his party a mandate in 2019 and that manifesto is NOT the sole responsibility of any one individual,

Nor can those policies which gained that mandate be unilaterally changed or ignored; let alone in such extensive and far reaching ways; without requiring a FRESH mandate from the British People to have any sort of legitimacy.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

I'm not sure Sunak's honeymoon period is going to last very long. Within half a day of promising 'integrity, professionalism and accountability' in government, he reappointed Braverman as Home Sec - six days after she breached the ministerial code.

Some of the other cabinet appointments may be popular in the interests of trying to reunify the party and keep the ERG happy, but the public may not agree.

Sunak speech interpreted

Due to horrendous mismanagement of our nation over the last decade; especially the last year; and very especially the last month; there will be very VERY difficult times ahead for you .. unless you are very rich like me.

... But be assured that I and my 'brand new' team are the only ones who have the will to press ahead with our mandate to ensure that the wealthy thrive and rebuild our nation back to how it was in those great days long past when our pirate free trader navy stole traded and filled the coffers of our freeports  with the gold and wealth of others, while plebs and their excrement filled our street corners and gutters,

.. until driven out of the cities into the fracked wilderness by new laws we will impose.

Many of you will be evicted, and even more will go hungry, but be assured we are the only ones who will press ahead with this mandate you chose to give me us back in 2019.

The Tory Legacy

Sunak Interpreted

I am delighted to confirm my leveling up agenda with; as promised;  plans to immediately reverse the unfair shoveling of resources into unworthy deprived urban areas.

I will start with meeting one of my commitments by adding together the total funding of Tunbridge Wells and Manchester, and then splitting the total straight down the middle giving half to each.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

While Braverman pushes through

Under the public order bill, anyone who has protested in the previous five years, or has encouraged other people to protest, can be forced to “submit to … being fitted with, or the installation of, any necessary apparatus” to monitor their movements. In other words, if you attend or support any protest in which “serious disruption to two or more individuals or to an organisation” occurs, you can be forced to wear an electronic tag. “Serious disruption” was redefined by the 2022 Police Act to include noise.

The Tory Legacy

Sunak Interpreted

I am pleased to announce the first of my anti-inflationary and energy management measures.

Benefits will be frozen and applying for any will be made MUCH harder with longer delays. This will prevent poor people from immediately spending money on food and heating, and the associated driving up of those prices further with their demand.

These measures will remain in place until poor people learn to squirrel their money away in tax havens like anti inflationary rich people do.

(apart from bolli and maseratis which are only inflationary abroad where they are bought)

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Sunak interpreted

Having learned from the Truss failures, and being elected to address the fiscal problems, we are pleased to announce our fiscal plan to prevent another Truss like collapse in the nations finances and our support:

Simple:  We wont tell anybody our fiscal plans.

Told you i had a plan.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

With fiscal statement deferred and mixed government messaging on tax and spending the BoE has little to go on

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

I see our pal India seems to have ramped up its assistance for Russia to bypass sanctions

(Reuters Global below)

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Russia's VTB Bank opens 'vostro' account at Indian branch

Russia's No.2 lender VTB on Wednesday said it had opened a special "vostro" account at its Indian branch that would allow for the more active use of Indian rupees in payments under import and export contracts between Russia and India.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Russia bans dealing in capital of 45 foreign-owned banks or banking units

Russia on Wednesday banned dealings in the shares or share capital of 45 banks or banking units, all either owned by parties in countries that Russia terms "unfriendly" or owned through foreign capital.

The Tory Legacy

@tobyjugg2

Is sunak not a hero for you?

He is going to keep the fracking ban.

He was one of the cabinet ministers that resigned, which led to the end of Boris?

Nadine Dorries appears to hate Sunak for what he did to Boris.

He implemented the furlough policy during the Covid period that has helped millions of people and arguable enabled unemployment to remain low.

Not a fan of the Tory Government, but surely Sunak deserves some credit. 

And the Tories should offer an election during 2023, as it is not acceptable that they can change leader/PM many times and then not call an election until January 2025.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

13 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

@tobyjugg2

Is sunak not a hero for you?

Nope, Have I not made that clear?

He is going to keep the fracking ban.

NO he hasn't, and NO it wasn't

1. Have you already forgotten that he and his pals in Truss' fascicle Guvernmunge have just successfully if chaotically three line whipped many half-way decent Tories to vote against any ban on fracking.

2. He has simply re-stated for no particular length of time and with no particular force (other than current convenience) a moratorium which could be changed at a 'ministers whim.

He was one of the cabinet ministers that resigned, which led to the end of Boris?

In his own interests and he was already at loggerheads with Johnson - and not for what I would consider national interest reasons

It was pure self interest.

Nadine Dorries appears to hate Sunak for what he did to Boris.

'poisoning the well' is her ONLY tactic - hadn't you noticed?

He implemented the furlough policy during the Covid period that has helped millions of people and arguable enabled unemployment to remain low.

Look into the detail - it wasn't Sunaks first or preferred choice. he/his supports just finds it convenient to claim that.

Not a fan of the Tory Government, but surely Sunak deserves some credit. 

Nope other than for a modicum of basic competence which is only apparent due to the otherwise vast lack of it in most of the other populists

-  a soggy worm infested Turd standing proud among worm infested diarrhea

And the Tories should offer an election during 2023, as it is not acceptable that they can change leader/PM many times and then not call an election until January 2025.

Nope - He should define his party manifesto 9or has he just jumped in with NOTHING but waffle) and go to the country with it Jan/Feb 2023 at the VERY latest.

- Including HOW they intend to handle Brexit, NI and trade with our largest and still biggest external market

As already posted - they are enacting a VERY different manifesto to the one the populists were elected on.

Whatever any claimed reasons or excuses, it quite clearly defines they have no 'mandate' legitimacy whatsoever.

The Tory Legacy

Glad i found this on the tube (suggest open in a new tab)

https://youtu.be/4kHuqjXniqg?t=562

Saves me 'sampling' a bit and showing as an 'advert for the prog

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

"Jake Berry, who was chair when Liz Truss sacked Ms Braverman last week, said that she was responsible for a “really serious breach” relating to confidential government discussions of cybersecurity."

"Mr Berry told Talk TV: “From my own knowledge, there were multiple breaches of the ministerial code.

“It was sent from a private email address to another member of parliament. She then sought to copy in that individual's wife and accidentally sent it to a staffer in parliament."

"he challenged Mr Sunak’s claim that the home secretary had confessed to breaking the code, telling Talk TV that “the evidence was put to her and she accepted the evidence, rather than the other way around”."

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Starmer accuses new PM of ‘grubby deal’ to secure right-winger’s support

The Tory Legacy

Prediction is that Braverman will not be Home Secretary in December 2022.

You do wonder if Braverman had some form of bargaining chip to gain the senior role in Government and therefore Sunak did not think he had a choice.  And if what has been said about a number of leaks of information is true, that at some point soon, this will provide Sunak with reason to remove Braverman.  Braverman is legally qualified, but there are other Tory MP's that are also qualified enough to be Home Secretary. I know a Law Degree is probably not a requirement , but it would help.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I've read a few comments like human hand grenade and one official said they also thought she wouldn't make Christmas due to inexperience and rushing in out of her depth. She seemed to be out of kilter with most of the last cabinet.

It seems to me that there's more to come on security breaches and also the influence of John Hayes - and his wife. 

• I agree 1