Loss of NCD if I change insurance policy holder to my wifes name

skyestu
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 603 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently got our car insurance renewal via e-mail.

This year we discovered that as my wife is not the policy holder she is not entitled to drive other vehicles 3rd party only myself as the policy holder is. My wife is the main driver on this policy so I wanted to change it to her name so that she can driver other cars when required. For example when visiting her mother.

However I was told by the insurer that we would then lose the 14 years of no claims bonus that has mostly been built up by my wife's use of the car.

Any solution to this?

Ncd is linked to the person that held/holds a policy, not to the policy itself.

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

With some Insurers, they allow the NCB to be transferred to the spouse in this type of situation.  Then a new policy is issued and the spouse becomes the policyholder with the NCB still maintained.

You would need to confirm your written consent for then NCB to be transferred to your spouse.

Ask the Insurers whether they would do this.

Personally, I think driving other cars on third party cover is very risky.  If your wife is driving her Mums car regularly, it may be cheaper for your wife to be added to her Mums Insurance as an additonal driver.

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

alot cheaper!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for all the info. Particulary unclebulgaria. I'll see if I can find a company that will transfer the NCD to my wife. I know about being only insured 3rd party is risky but its a lot less risky than letting my mother in law drive! 

It's not just your wife's driving though. What if someone else hit the car when she's driving it? I know you should be able to claim off the other driver but it isn't always that easy. I don't know if the insurer would help if damage by other drivers isn't covered for your wife.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum