Can the JC compel you to do a training course?

Jaybee in CF
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 796 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, 

They've asked me to do an online work academy training course via the National Careers Service, however the training is merely on how to apply to a particular sector.  As I was under the impression this was a course you could take out of hours, I verbally agreed.  However I've now found it has to be done during business hours, and thus is taking time away from looking for work.  So, I don't wish to do it, however the joining instructions state I've agreed and sanctions will follow if I don't have a good reason not to do it.  

So, can the JC mandate I take this training course without my written agreement? 

TIA

Normally, the claimant commitment that includes anything mandatory is agreed between claimant and Work Coach.  They read through the commitment as it is being produced and they then add it to a to-do list.

If you disagree with the claimant commitment, you can call 0800 328 5644 to ask for an appointment to have your claimant commitment reviewed, as you disagree with the one that has been issued.

There is no such thing as out of hours or business hours, unless you are already in employment for some hours and the course clashes with work commitments.

If you talk about business hours to the Job Centre, they may have suspicion that you are in paid work, while still claiming benefits for being out of work.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

45 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

There is no such thing as out of hours or business hours, unless you are already in employment for some hours and the course clashes with work commitments.

If you talk about business hours to the Job Centre, they may have suspicion that you are in paid work, while still claiming benefits for being out of work.

They're welcome to their suspicions as I most certainly have no other work.  My profession has very, very little to do out outside 8am-6pm as most functions are almost completely automated. 

4 hours ago, Jaybee in CF said:

They're welcome to their suspicions as I most certainly have no other work.  My profession has very, very little to do out outside 8am-6pm as most functions are almost completely automated. 

Not sure what you mean by profession and functions automated. 

This could be Interpreted as you have professional activities within the hours 8am to 6pm, so are not actively seeking work.

Before you start raising issues with the Job Centre, think very carefully about how you explain any issues you have.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes they can mandate you to attend various courses if they feel the need.
They should have given you a to-do or a letter advising you have been mandated to attend and will face a possible sanction if you fail to engage.
Normally happens between the 6 - 12 months of claim starting.
It would also count towards your expected hours of job searching you would have agreed to on your claimant commitment.