Will accepting a HSBC refund cheque acknowledge old debt?

UK29
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1109 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, first post in a forum of any kind! 

Today I received a letter with an attached cheque for £600ish from HSBC. It is apparently a refund and interest of some charges applied to accounts in collections/recoveries. 

My first thought was a scam of some kind, but they’re not asking for any information or payment. 

The associated account I believe to be statue barred. The last interaction I had with them either payment/letter/phone call must have been 2009ish. In 2012 we lost our daughter and travelled around for a while so I’m surprised they even have my latest address. 

Anyway, my question is, if I bank this cheque is it in some way acknowledging old debt that would cancel a statute barring? Or could it be fishing for confirmation of my being at this address?

Surely if they had record of old debt this payment would just be subtracted from the balance? But then, seems a bit good to be true, the effort they have gone to to pay me?

No.

Just go ahead and bank the cheque.

Don't start spending until it's cleared

Topic moved to HSBC Bank Forum...please continue to post here.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

no-one can unbar a debt already statute barred, not even a judge

enjoy your windfall.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Question: My wife received a couple of cheques (1 in Jan and 1 in Feb) from HSBC apologising how she was dealt with back in, yes, 2008. Now should we inform HSBC of our current address because they were forwarded from our previous one? The reason I ask is that redirect from Post Office expires in September.

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

cant hurt you

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...