• Tweets

• Hi, I have an old outstanding debt from 1994 due to MBNA for £20,000. The debt has been passed to various DCAs and is currently with PRA Group.  I sent them a CCA letter in January 2024. They acknowledged this letter and stated they would come back when they had more information, however the information did not arrive within the 12 working day scenario.. I have just received a copy of the agreement which goes back to 1994 from them. In their response letter they have stated " Please find enclosed documentation received to date: we are waiting further documents in order to complete your request. We have currently deemed this debt as unenforceable which means we are not able to take court or further action against you to recover the outstanding balance". They then go on to state "we are still legally entitled to:  1.Contact you to ask and repay what you owe 2.Pass your details onto a third party collection agency 3. Continue to report your account with the credit reference bureaux (as appropriate)". I'm at a loss as to what I should do next and would appreciate any guidance on this matter. I am currently paying £5.00 pcm. TIA      
    • A sinister tactic known as shoulder surfing is on the rise in the UK. Fraudsters are watching unwitting people log in to their mobile banking apps over their shoulder.View the full article
    • My understanding is that they won't provide the name to me whether the investigation is Live or Closed, & I have no legal rep as I didn't have P.I. Cover on my policy, & am intending to claim using OIC.org.uk, but remain completely stuck as they 100% cannot open a claim on the portal without both the Reg. No. & Name of the other driver.  
    • thanks again ftmdave, your words are verey encouraging and i do appreciate them. i have taken about 2 hours to think of a letter to write to the ceo...i will paste it below...also how would i address a ceo? do i just put his name? or put dear sir? do you think its ok?  i would appreciate feedback/input from anybody if anything needs to be added/taken away, removed if incorrect etc. i am writing it on behalf of my friend..she is the named driver  - im the one with the blue badge and owner of the car - just for clarification. thanks in adavance to everyone.       My friend and I are both disabled and have been a victim of disability discrimination on the part of your agents.   I have been incorrectly 'charged' by your agent 'excel parking' for overstaying in your car park, but there was no overstay. The letter I recieved said the duration of stay was 15 minutes but there is a 10 minute grace period and also 5 minutes consideration time, hence there was no duration of stay of 15 minutes.   I would like to take this oppertunity to clarify what happend at your Gravesend store. We are struggling finacially due to the 'cost of living crisis' and not being able to work because we are both disabled, we was attracted to your store for the 10 items for £10 offer. I suffer dyslexia and depression and my friend who I take shopping has a mobility disability. We went to buy some shopping at your Gravesend branch of Iceland on 28th of December 2023, we entered your car park, tried to read and understand the parking signs and realised we had to pay for parking. We then realised we didnt have any change for the parking machine so went back to look for coins in the car and when we couldnt find any we left. As my friend has mobility issues it takes some time for me to help him out of the car, as you probably understand this takes more time than it would a normal able bodied person. As I suffer dyslexia I am sure you'll agree that it took me more time than a normal person to read and understand the large amount of information at the pay & display machine. After this, it took more time than an able bodied person to leave the car park especially as I have to help my friend on his crutches etc get back into the car due to his mobility disability. All this took us 15 minutes.   I was the driver of my friends car and he has a blue badge. He then received a 'notice to keeper' for a 'failure to purchase a parking tariff'. On the letter it asked to name the driver if you wasnt the driver at the time, so as he wasnt the driver he named me. I appealed the charge and told them we are disabled and explained the situation as above. The appeal was denied, and even more so was totally ignored regarding our disabilities and that we take longer than an able bodied person to access the car and read the signs and understand them. As our disabilities were ignored and disregarded for the time taken I believe this is discrimination against us. I cannot afford any unfair charges of this kind as I am severely struggling financially. I cannot work and am a carer for my disabled Son who also has a mental and mobility disability. I obviously do not have any disposable income and am in debt with my bills. So its an absolute impossibility for me to pay this incorrect charge.     After being discriminated by your agent my friend decided to contact 'iceland customer care team' on my behalf and again explained the situation and also sent photos of his disabled blue badge and proof of disability. He asked the care team to cancel the charge as ultimately its Iceland's land/property and you have the power over excel parking to cancel it. Again we was met with no mention or consideration for our disability and no direct response regarding the cancellation, all we was told was to contact excel parking. He has replied over 20 times to try to get the 'care team' to understand and cancel this but its pointless as we are just ignored every time. I believe that Ignoring our disability is discrimination which is why I am now contacting you.     I have noticed on your website that you are 'acting' to ease the 'cost of living crisis' : https://about.iceland.co.uk/2022/04/05/iceland-acts-to-ease-the-cost-of-living-crisis/   If you really are commited to helping people in this time of crisis ..and especially two struggling disabled people, can you please cancel this charge as it will only cause more damage to our mental health if you do not.  
    • I've also been in touch via the online portal to the Police's GDPR team, to request the name of the other Driver. Got this response:   Dear Mr. ---------   Our Ref: ----------   Thank you for your request which has been forwarded to the Data Protection Team for consideration.   The data you are requesting is third party, we would not give this information directly to you.   Your solicitor or legal team acting on our behalf would approach us directly with your signed (wet) consent allowing us to consider the request further.   I note the investigation is showing as ‘live’ at this time, we would not considered sharing data for suggested injury until the investigation has been closed.   If you wish to pursue a claim once the investigation has been closed please signpost your legal team to [email protected]   Kind regards   ----------------- Data Protection Assistant    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Your parking ticket may be unlawful

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

parkingticket.jpgparkingticket.jpg

Data Protection Act to NatWest 22-07-06

Data Protection Act GE to GE 16-08-06

Mums Data Protection Act to Barclays 22-07-06

MUMS PRELIM CHARGES REQUEST AND SCHEDULE SENT 30-8-06

James prelim and sched sent30-8-06

James Lba sent 5-9-06

COBBETS DEFEND JAMES CLAIM deemed served 7-10 28 DAYS FROM THE 7TH TO DEFEND.

mums rejection of settlement offer sent back on 29-9-06 original lba sent 20-9-06 have until 4 oct to make full offer-not received Moneyclaim can go ahead.

Prelim to GE 10-10-06

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry mate just read your post-that wasnt a response btw!wondered if anyone thought i had a case-

from what i can see i have one on grounds of date of issue anymore anybody can see?

-*TOOSTRONG*

GOOGLE 'PHOTOBUCKET' AND REGISTER(FREE) PUT YOUR IMAGE ON THEIR TO GET A URL , THEN CLICK ON THE INSERT IMAGE TAB ABOVE ON THE CAG REPLY SCREEN THEN COPY AND PASTE THE URL FROM PHOTOBUCKET -REMEMBER THAT IT WONT WORK IF THE HTTP BIT IS IN TWICE SO IF YOU COPY AND PASTE DELETE THE HTTP BIT THATS ALREADY ON!

hope you got that look forward to seeing it.

Data Protection Act to NatWest 22-07-06

Data Protection Act GE to GE 16-08-06

Mums Data Protection Act to Barclays 22-07-06

MUMS PRELIM CHARGES REQUEST AND SCHEDULE SENT 30-8-06

James prelim and sched sent30-8-06

James Lba sent 5-9-06

COBBETS DEFEND JAMES CLAIM deemed served 7-10 28 DAYS FROM THE 7TH TO DEFEND.

mums rejection of settlement offer sent back on 29-9-06 original lba sent 20-9-06 have until 4 oct to make full offer-not received Moneyclaim can go ahead.

Prelim to GE 10-10-06

Taff

I think you have a slightly different ticket here. This hasnt been issued under the decriminilased parking scheme brought in by the 1991 Road traffic Act. In saying that I cant see that the issues are any different.

No date of issue

The liability to pay the excess charge is not with the driver but with the registered keeper provided the rules are the same for this as the 1991 PCNs. therefor the information on your ticket is incorrect

Your only formal right of appeal on this ticket may be a magistrates court case.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

hi all, sorry to be a nuisance, but I thought i would double check after finding this very useful site and having recieved a parking ticket. (daughters dentist was running late) & got a ticket for being in a residents parking area without a permit ( got caught by 9 mins)certain times were free.

on my pcn from ealing council

contavention date,

"date of notice" not issue

make & number of the car ( no colour)

and all the other relevent stuff

on the reciept part it has

notice no,

veh.reg

date of notice (again not issue)

contravention date

time of issue

would this be a legal ticket or not?

as it does not have colour of car, and has date of notice rather than date of issue and has time of issue?

Not in my opinion. The registration number on the ticket is not that of your car. Send tham a letter back by recorded delivery stating that you believe the ticket has been issued in error because it is not your vehicle, simple as that. DO NOT help them to correct their error by pointing out their mistake!

They will presumably contact the DVLC who will indeed confirm to them that XX11786 is not registered to you.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

Okay, so after reading this extremely good topic I've beencasting my mind back 2 years to a time when iwas blighted by some heavy handed parking charges from the local council.

Centres arouind 4 tickets, which I started to dispute (basically parking outside my friends house in a residential parking permit area, he had run out of those scratch and sniff visitors parking permits but we stuck notices on the car explaining that he was ordering more and that the parking attendent could know on the door if in any doubt). Anyway, they flatly refused any argument (from both myself and my friend) and communication stoped. These tickets were issued between 3- 4 years ago.

I moved out of my parents house and carried on with live(about 15 months on). Anyway, I'm at work one day, I get a call from my mum she is at work (my parents own a pub and live at another address). She' scrying down the phone at me because some bailiffs have turned up at the pub demanding £1276.00 for 4 unpaid parking tickets and "costs" (apperently, they wrote to me at my parents address lots warning me....letters that I didnt receive - letters that I wouldhave certianly acted on had I recieved them). They had asked my neighbour about my famiyl and the kindly neighbour had directed them tomy foks business during a busy lunch time and spouted off in fornt of loads of people.

I coughed up, on a credit card and had to try and explain things to my mum. anyway, sitting here thinking about this, and remembering the shoddy state ofthe tickets at the time, I wanting pay back, so, my question is, how do i kick it off?

Subject access request? Will the council keep records of their tickets? If they dont, what then? Can i do anything?

Do I send a cheue for the normal £10

and how does the claim work? ie, the council sold this debt to a bailif who collected - did they collect on partof themselves, or for a court, or the council?

Have I got a right to this money, I'm assuming that the court sanctioned this action with the balifs, does this make the sums or the tickets lawful after judgement has been passed (again a local borough council issued the tickets)???

Should I be claiming for the total amount plus interest at the date of the credit card payment?

Your thoughts and any guidance are greatly appreciated!

cheers,

James

This not really anything to do with parking tickets but gives me great pleasure in getting on over on the dicks.

I was in a supermarket car park one Xmas and had spent a good couple of hours in various shops on the site. As we left and approached the barrier we noticed a hand written sighn on a blackboard saying parking was for one hour only anything over this would be charged at £15 per hour.

I argued that this sighn should have been placed on the way in to the car park and not on the way out, but was met with the response payup. I refused and drove around the barrier. By the time I got to my home a police car was sat outside waiting for me and a very burly police man told me that I had to return with him and pay the ticket. I asked him what criminel offence had been commited, he refused to answer and told me to get in his car and return with him. I asked him to clarify if it was a criminal offence or a civil matter, he got on the radio was told it was a civil matter got in his car and left. up yours ASDA

Don-e, frankly you're going to struggle because (a) technically you were illegally parked (it's a load of b'locks I know), and (b) you have now paid up. I think you will find it VERY difficult to get anything back after paying up which is why I always advocate not paying if there is the slightest doubt about any aspect of the case (that way you can always claim the issue is in dispute).

The bailiffs could not have done anything because you didn't live there at the time they came to collect! All mother had to say was "sorry chaps, nobody of that name at this address" and it's game over for them.

I would firstly ask your credit card company to do a chargeback, but beyond that the only chance I think you have is to take them to court claiming that the amount they were paid was unjust and you only paid it because bailiffs were threatening to take away your MOTHER'S goods an so acting illegally, but as I said once you have paid I think you're going to find it very difficult.

The only slight issue I can think of here in respect of the tickets themselves, assuming that they are not illegally worded, is that there is some suggestion that paid-for residents parking schemes may be illegal anyway because a clause in the Human Rights Act says that everybody should/must be treated equally.

I've put it to my local council that since I have to pay an annual fee for my residents parking permit and the people living in the next street do not (since the next street isn't a designated resident's parking area), that they are in breach of the Human Rights Act because I am not being treated equally under the terms of the Act but of course they have chosen to deal with that by ignoring it completely, knowing that there isn't much I can do to pursue that one without taking a test case to the High Court.

They won't get any money out of me though.

Cheers Seylectric,

Dissapointing, but I was expecting an answer along those lines. But stuff like that is always worth considering, I'll blaim the naivety of my mother on this occasion.

Thanks for the reply.

Don-e

Well do bear in mind it's only my opinion, but I would certainly try for the chargeback option first if nothing else. Tell your c.c. company it was paid in error.

I'm not sure what the rules are on chargebacks but if they don't refund it's possible they may be jointly liable for your "loss".

I WAS ISSUED WITH A PCN :( YESTERDAY, BUT ON THE PAYMENT SLIP IT STATED DATE OF OFFENCE, AND AS I HAVE NOT COMMITED AN OFFENCE I DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE CHARGE, I HAVE TAKEN ADVICE ON THIS AND BEEN TOLD TO APPEAL AGAINST THE CHARGE. PEOPLE SHOULD BE AWARE THAT IT WAS DE-CRIMINALIZED IN 2003 AND THEREFORE YOU HAVE BEEN IN CONTRAVENTION OF A BYELAW AND NOT COMMITED AN OFFENCE, AN OFFENCE IS A TERM FOR A CRIMINAL OFFENCE. THEREFORE THE PCN WAS ISSUED INCORRECTLY AND I DO NOT HAVE TO PAY. I HAVE ALSO SENT A COPY OF THE PCN AND APPEAL LETTER TO THE LOCAL RADIO STATION AND NEWSPEPER STATING THE LAW "SECTION 66(3) OF THE 1991 ROAD TRAFFIC ACT". AS THERE IS NO OFFENCE THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO PAY.:grin:

Correct. It's exactly the same situation here in Blackpool, (and if your tickets are issued by Parkwise in your town take another look at them because I've just noticed that they too are incorrectly worded), HOWEVER DO BE AWARE that you will need to keep fighting them, don't just ignore them.

ADDITIONALLY it has not been decriminalised in all areas, some areas still have tickets issued by the police - this two-teir system makes it even more farcical.

P.S. turn your caps lock off!

Well do bear in mind it's only my opinion, but I would certainly try for the chargeback option first if nothing else. Tell your c.c. company it was paid in error.

I'm not sure what the rules are on chargebacks but if they don't refund it's possible they may be jointly liable for your "loss".

I'll give it a go, they can only say no I guess.

But the bailiffs are sure to come back on it? If so, what's my defence/validation going to be? Excessive charges? Surely they will say they wrote to me 50 times (or something stupid like that) saying that I didnt reply.

I'm not sure, but my car (a different car that would had no PCN's against its reg.)might have been registered at that address at that time (in my name)

Sorry, can of worms. I just want to be clear of my of direction and the motivation for getting having the charge back - after all, no-ones going to sit there and just give back nearly 1300 quid (although, i was stupid enough in the first place to release it) but these are bailiffs and they aint exactly nice, upstanding people.

cheers for the advice.

James

sorry, seylectric, my caps lock is normally on as i am at work and the system we use works with caps lonck on, i also live in blackpool, and i rang them this morning, and said well if you don't accept it then appeal and put the phone down, let me know how you get on, and i will let you know how i get on

hi all, sorry to be a nuisance, but I thought i would double check after finding this very useful site and having recieved a parking ticket. (daughters dentist was running late) & got a ticket for being in a residents parking area without a permit ( got caught by 9 mins)certain times were free.

on my pcn from ealing council

contavention date,

"date of notice" not issue

make & number of the car ( no colour)

and all the other relevent stuff

on the reciept part it has

notice no,

veh.reg

date of notice (again not issue)

contravention date

time of issue

would this be a legal ticket or not?

as it does not have colour of car, and has date of notice rather than date of issue and has time of issue?

could i please have someone respond to this, as i am not sure where i stand

thanks

yes, that one is legal, but contactneil herron on 01915657143 and they may be able to help

Am i right in saying that that ticket is legit because it specifies two dates (phrased differently - "time of issue" and "Date of notice") Or, because it expresses a contravention date along with the afore mentioned?

Apologies, i'm getting confused witht he "Date of Issue " argument

What if the tickets stated

Council name

PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE

Road traffic Act 1991 (as amended etc etc)

Notice Number

Date Of Notice

**/**/**

Car Reg

Make

Colour

Was seen in

From 09:30

to 0935

on: **/**/**

By parking attendant : ****

Signature_______________

who beleives that a penatly charge is payable with respect to the vehicle identified above on the grounds that the following parking contravention has occured

PCN No: **

THe Penalty Charge of £60.00 must be paid before the enf of the period beginning with the date of this notice.

The discounted rate of £30.00 willbe accpeted in settlement of the penatly is made within 14 days beginning with the date of this notice.

DO NOT PAY THE PARKING ATTENDANT

==============================================

Tear off

NOtice Number

Date of Notice

**/**/**

Vehicle

End

James

Sorry Mate That One Looks Like It Is Legit, But Contact Mr Neil Herron On 01915657143 To Discuss, And He Will See If There Are Any Ponits On The Ticket That Are Incorrect And Best Advise You:)

It may not be lawful as it refers to a "penalty" & not simply a "charge" being payable, but yes Mr Herron is best for advice.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this - the thread is long :) yellow lines are illegal if they don't have the end of the line(s) marked by a line at right angle at the end. I don't know of a link, but someone has sucessfully fought and won on those grounds. The rest of his town/village followed suit. They all got fines refunded but I bet someone was out with a tin of yellow paint PDQ!

Hi, I received a parking ticket from a police officer today. It's a fair cop I thought, but, she has written yesterdays date on it... Is it void?

Yes! Absolutely no question about it!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks