Jump to content


Damage to property by vehicle

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 297 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Last night, an unknown tall vehicle drove past our home and ripped the mains power cable and bracket out of the wall in our house, causing significant damage to the wall and roof.


The vehicle failed to stop. UK power networks were very quick to respond and restore power to our home within a few hours, however, the damage to the building still exists.


My question is - Does this count as criminal damage, and should we report it as such? Or is it really not worth it?


Does the repair bill for this fall on our shoulders?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You should report it to the police as leaving the scene of a road traffic incident is a criminal offence.

Police will probably say that the driver didn't realise they had an accident, so bring pictures of the damage with you and good luck convincing them.

Ask any neighbour if they have cctv or saw/heard anything.

If you live in a road where there's only one way out (ie. estate), see if anyone has cctv at exit point.

Regarding the damage, you have to assess if it's worth claiming through your home insurance or just foot the bill.

Another avenue to explore is the MIB, but I don't know how it works and if they would even consider this case.

More knowledgeable members will advise.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...