• Tweets

• further polished WS using above suggestions and also included couple of more modifications highlighted in orange are those ok to include?   Background   1.1  The Defendant received the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) on the 06th of January 2020 following the vehicle being parked at Arla Old Dairy, South Ruislip on the 05th of December 2019.   Unfair PCN   2.1  On 19th December 2023 the Defendant sent the Claimant's solicitors a CPR request.  As shown in Exhibit 1 (pages 7-13) sent by the solicitors the signage displayed in their evidence clearly shows a £60.00 parking charge notice (which will be reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days of issue).  2.2  Yet the PCN sent by the Claimant is for a £100.00 parking charge notice (reduced to £60 if paid within 30 days of issue).   2.3        The Claimant relies on signage to create a contract.  It is unlawful for the Claimant to write that the charge is £60 on their signs and then send demands for £100.    2.4        The unlawful £100 charge is also the basis for the Claimant's Particulars of Claim.  No Locus Standi  3.1  I do not believe a contract with the landowner, that is provided following the defendant’s CPR request, gives MET Parking Services a right to bring claims in their own name. Definition of “Relevant contract” from the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4,  2 [1] means a contract Including a contract arising only when the vehicle was parked on the relevant land between the driver and a person who is-   (a) the owner or occupier of the land; or   (b) Authorised, under or by virtue of arrangements made by the owner or occupier of the land, to enter into a contract with the driver requiring the payment of parking charges in respect of the parking of the vehicle on the land. According to https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/46/section/44   For a contract to be valid, it requires a director from each company to sign and then two independent witnesses must confirm those signatures.   3.2  The Defendant requested to see such a contract in the CPR request.  The fact that no contract has been produced with the witness signatures present means the contract has not been validly executed. Therefore, there can be no contract established between MET Parking Services and the motorist. Even if “Parking in Electric Bay” could form a contract (which it cannot), it is immaterial. There is no valid contract.  Illegal Conduct – No Contract Formed   4.1 At the time of writing, the Claimant has failed to provide the following, in response to the CPR request from myself.   4.2        The legal contract between the Claimant and the landowner (which in this case is Standard Life Investments UK) to provide evidence that there is an agreement in place with landowner with the necessary authority to issue parking charge notices and to pursue payment by means of litigation.   4.3 Proof of planning permission granted for signage etc under the Town and country Planning Act 1990. Lack of planning permission is a criminal offence under this Act and no contract can be formed where criminality is involved.   4.4        I also do not believe the claimant possesses these documents.   No Keeper Liability   5.1        The defendant was not the driver at the time and date mentioned in the PCN and the claimant has not established keeper liability under schedule 4 of the PoFA 2012. In this matter, the defendant puts it to the claimant to produce strict proof as to who was driving at the time.   5.2 The claimant in their Notice To Keeper also failed to comply with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 section 9[2][f] while mentioning “the right to recover from the keeper so much of that parking charge as remains unpaid” where they did not include statement “(if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met)”.     5.3         The claimant did not mention parking period, times on the photographs are separate from the PCN and in any case are that arrival and departure times not the parking period since their times include driving to and from the parking space as a minimum and can include extra time to allow pedestrians and other vehicles to pass in front.    Protection of Freedoms Act 2012   The notice must -   (a) specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;  22. In the persuasive judgement K4GF167G - Premier Park Ltd v Mr Mathur - Horsham County Court – 5 January 2024 it was on this very point that the judge dismissed this claim.  5.4  A the PCN does not comply with the Act the Defendant as keeper is not liable.  No Breach of Contract   6.1       No breach of contract occurred because the PCN and contract provided as part of the defendant’s CPR request shows different post code, PCN shows HA4 0EY while contract shows HA4 0FY. According to PCN defendant parked on HA4 0EY which does not appear to be subject to the postcode covered by the contract.  6.2         The entrance sign does not mention anything about there being other terms inside the car park so does not offer a contract which makes it only an offer to treat,  Interest  7.1  It is unreasonable for the Claimant to delay litigation for  Double Recovery   7.2  The claim is littered with made-up charges.  7.3  As noted above, the Claimant's signs state a £60 charge yet their PCN is for £100.  7.4  As well as the £100 parking charge, the Claimant seeks recovery of an additional £70.  This is simply a poor attempt to circumvent the legal costs cap at small claims.  7.5 Since 2019, many County Courts have considered claims in excess of £100 to be an abuse of process leading to them being struck out ab initio. An example, in the Caernarfon Court in VCS v Davies, case No. FTQZ4W28 on 4th September 2019, District Judge Jones-Evans stated “Upon it being recorded that District Judge Jones- Evans has over a very significant period of time warned advocates (...) in many cases of this nature before this court that their claim for £60 is unenforceable in law and is an abuse of process and is nothing more than a poor attempt to go behind the decision of the Supreme Court v Beavis which inter alia decided that a figure of £160 as a global sum claimed in this case would be a penalty and not a genuine pre-estimate of loss and therefore unenforceable in law and if the practice continued, he would treat all cases as a claim for £160 and therefore a penalty and unenforceable in law it is hereby declared (…) the claim is struck out and declared to be wholly without merit and an abuse of process.”  7.6 In Claim Nos. F0DP806M and F0DP201T, District Judge Taylor echoed earlier General Judgment or Orders of District Judge Grand, stating ''It is ordered that the claim is struck out as an abuse of process. The claim contains a substantial charge additional to the parking charge which it is alleged the Defendant contracted to pay. This additional charge is not recoverabl15e under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4 nor with reference to the judgment in Parking Eye v Beavis. It is an abuse of process from the Claimant to issue a knowingly inflated claim for an additional sum which it is not entitled to recover. This order has been made by the court of its own initiative without a hearing pursuant to CPR Rule 3.3(4)) of the Civil Procedure Rules 1998...''  7.7 In the persuasive case of G4QZ465V - Excel Parking Services Ltd v Wilkinson – Bradford County Court -2 July 2020 (Exhibit 4) the judge had decided that Excel had won. However, due to Excel adding on the £60 the Judge dismissed the case.  7.8        The addition of costs not previously specified on signage are also in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, Schedule 2, specifically paras 6, 10 and 14.   7.9        It is the Defendant’s position that the Claimant in this case has knowingly submitted inflated costs and thus the entire claim should be similarly struck out in accordance with Civil Procedure Rule 3.3(4).   In Conclusion   8.1        I invite the court to dismiss the claim.  Statement of Truth  I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.   
    • Well the difference is that in all our other cases It was Kev who was trying to entrap the motorist so sticking two fingers up to him and daring him to try court was from a position of strength. In your case, sorry, you made a mistake so you're not in the position of strength.  I've looked on Google Maps and the signs are few & far between as per Kev's MO, but there is an entrance sign saying "Pay & Display" (and you've admitted in writing that you knew you had to pay) and the signs by the payment machines do say "Sea View Car Park" (and you've admitted in writing you paid the wrong car park ... and maybe outed yourself as the driver). Something I missed in my previous post is that the LoC is only for one ticket, not two. Sorry, but it's impossible to definitively advise what to so. Personally I'd probably gamble on Kev being a serial bottler of court and reply with a snotty letter ridiculing the signage (given you mentioned the signage in your appeal) - but it is a gamble.  
    • No! What has happened is that your pix were up-to-date: 5 hours' maximum stay and £100 PCN. The lazy solicitors have sent ancient pictures: 4 hours' maximum stay and £60 PCN. Don't let on!  Let them be hoisted by their own lazy petard in the court hearing (if they don't bottle before).
    • Thanks for all the suggestions so far I will amend original WS and send again for review.  While looking at my post at very beginning when I submitted photos of signs around the car park I noticed that it says 5 hours maximum stay while the signage sent by solicitor shows 4 hours maximum stay but mine is related to electric bay abuse not sure if this can be of any use in WS.
    • Not sure what to make of that or what it means for me, I was just about to head to my kip and it's a bit too late for legalise. When is the "expenditure occured"?  When they start spending money to write to me?  Or is this a bad thing (as "harsh" would imply)? When all is said and done, I do not have two beans to rub together, we rent our home and EVERYTHING of value has been purchased by and is in my wife's name and we are not financially linked in any way.  So at least if I can't escape my fate I can at least know that they will get sweet FA from me anyway   edit:  ah.. Sophia Harrison: Time bar decision tough on claimants WWW.SCOTTISHLEGAL.COM Time bar is a very complex area of law in Scotland relating to the period in which a claim for breach of duty can be pursued. The Scottish government...   This explains it like I am 5.  So, a good thing then because creditors clearly know they have suffered a loss the minute I stop paying them, this is why it is "harsh" (for them, not me)? Am I understanding this correctly?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Glastones/ES Parking DPA violation claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear all,

I'd greatly appreciate advice as I'm wanting to take ES Parking to court for breaching the DPA by claiming my details in the first place from the DVLA. I know this is going to be a long journey and lots of work but I'm willing to do it for the good of others and perhaps to teach them a lesson to stop harassing people when there is no basis for their claim.

I've been through the following so far:

Stage 1: Letter before claim:

(Sent mid December)

Letter Before Claim (Ref number: XX111111)

Dear ES Parking

In May 2016 you issued me with a parking charge for stopping/parking in a publicly accessible road where no contract was formed and for which there were no road markings (provided courtesy of your own witness statement).

It has been established that there can be no liability as you do not follow the protocols of the POFA and so it is not possible for a contract to be created. You have continued to pursue speculative charges despite it being firmly established that no charge could ever be due. I refer to case C8GF4C12 ES Parking Enforcement v Ms A. Manchester, in front of DH Iyah on 29/11/2016. It was established that there was inadequate signage and that you lost the case on the grounds that signage is forbidding.

You obtained my personal details from the DVLA for the purpose of pursuing a parking charge, However, there was never any possibility this charge could be valid.

My name and address information (together with other information) is classified as personal data within the meaning of s1(1) of the Data Protections Act (DPA). As there is no possibility that any monies were owed to you by myself, then attempting to charge a parking charge is caused harassment and personal distress to myself, is using it in ways which violate principles 1 and 2 of the DPA, and s13 of the DPA provides for financial compensation for this.

The case of Vidal-Hall v Google Inc [2014] EWHC 13 (QB) provides authority that misuse of personal data is a tort and that damages may be non-pecuniary. The case of Halliday v Creation Consumer Finance Ltd [2013] All ER (D) 199 provides authority that a reasonable sum for compensation would be £750.

I am therefore claiming £500 from yourself for misuse of my personal data under s13 of the DPA.

You have 14 days to remit this amount to myself. After that time I will file a claim without further correspondence.

The rules on pre-action conduct are here

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct

I believe I have provided you with all necessary information.

I am willing to consider alternative dispute resolution and suggest the Consumer Ombudsman.

Yours Sincerely

Stage 2: Claim filed with MCOL with the following details:

In May 2016 ES Parking breached the Data

Protection Act by accessing my details from

the DVLA without reasonable cause. It has

been proven on numerous cases including

C8GF4C12 ES Parking Enforcement v Ms A.

Manchester, in front of DH Iyah on 29/11/2016

that they have no grounds for pursuing a

parking charge. I am claiming damages of £750

for misuse of my personal data under s13 of

the DPA. I attempted to resolve this out of

court with a letter before claim for which I have received no reply.

I've now received a defence which is attached

I'm willing to fight them to the death on this and money is no objective, this is purely about principle - ultimately this is going to cost me money because of time off.ClientDefenceDPA.pdf

no defence attached. Also you asked for £500 in the LBA and £750 in the claim. Did they comment on this disparity

I posted the claim form in stage 2 as stated. I kept it brief with some details as I thought I'd need all the details going into witness statement?

When they posted the claim form it had barely a line in it so I thought it would be enough! Can't believe the hypocrisy of them stating no details when they send me a one liner!

Do I need to resubmit it with a full defence as they have requested? Again - please be patient with me on this, I'm happy to spend as much time researching and reading as necessary but just need some legal guidance.

Thanks

no, they are trying it on as you seem to have noticed. They have done this before, see the pranksters blog. Anyway, you sent the lba so that will be part of your evidence.

You say do I need to resubmit a full defence? you are the plaintiff in this matter, are you asking about resubmitting a full particulars of claim? Well, what you say is clear enough for the particulars so it is clear that they are trying to get you to start again. If you get a case management order to submit a fuller explanation then do so, this wont happen until the matter is allocated a track and a court though.

So what exactly does their defence say? twice you have alluded to it but you havent posted it. Also, did they send their demand via the courts or is it from them to you and not via the courts? If the latter they know that it is meaningless and are hoping that you are daft enough to give it credence.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

no, they are trying it on as you seem to have noticed. They have done this before, see the pranksters blog. Anyway, you sent the lba so that will be part of your evidence.

You say do I need to resubmit a full defence? you are the plaintiff in this matter, are you asking about resubmitting a full particulars of claim? Well, what you say is clear enough for the particulars so it is clear that they are trying to get you to start again. If you get a case management order to submit a fuller explanation then do so, this wont happen until the matter is allocated a track and a court though.

So what exactly does their defence say? twice you have alluded to it but you havent posted it. Also, did they send their demand via the courts or is it from them to you and not via the courts? If the latter they know that it is meaningless and are hoping that you are daft enough to give it credence.

Is their defence not attached to my initial message?

Well, talk about desperation. No paragraph numbers? If you only have 1 paragraph the it doesnt need numbering. Same goes for the rest, the allocation will be made in due course. It may well be decided that for £750 small claims is the appropriate track. Anyway, the matter of compensatory awards in small claims procedure has been dealt with by VCS v Philip. It was also accepted in another case I was involved with some time ago, if I still have the case files I will give you the case no, court etc so you can use that to show that it is the appropriate track.

It may be appropriate to send a letter to the court (copy to ES or their solicitor) just quoting the Philip desision and saying that it is the appropriate place. no need to start again, they are just hoping to bamboozle you into giving up.

but note they are relying on not getting a new hole ripped into them when their claim against you is heard. They also mention trespass being a cause for them to access your details. NO, they have no rights or authority in amy matter of trespass, even if they are "agents" of the landlord. It is outside their authority. can you imaging trying to sell your house and a person viewing it parks on your drive when you dindt want tehm to, move the car whne asked to but theestate agnet then sues the viewer for tat parking event. You havet given the estate agent permission to do anything other than show people round the house so how vcan they say they have the authority to use details gathered for one purpose ( house view) for another ( suing of parking on your land). utterly ridiculous but there agin we are talking baout Gladstones Solicitors, people who tell lies to the DVLA.

Just as I sent that last message I got the standard letter in the post from the courts with the questionnaire and stating the usual that it seems it is suitable for small claims etc.

Does this mean everything is going ahead and that letter was just one big fib?

It means that the courts service belive that there is a case to answer. It offers no judgemnt on the merits of either side's points at this stage, just that the small claims procedure is the correct way to hear the arguments.

As for asking for £450 costs, keep that piece of paper safe, you may well want to wave it in front of the judge who heards the ES claim as you can show that they are either undervaluing people's time as a LiP or they are filing claims that are losing them money so the only way of recovering their costs is by entering into a champertous agreement with ES ( read up on Champerty and Maintenance- bloody difficult to prove but you never know they may have just hanged themselves)

It means that the courts service belive that there is a case to answer. It offers no judgemnt on the merits of either side's points at this stage, just that the small claims procedure is the correct way to hear the arguments.

As for asking for £450 costs, keep that piece of paper safe, you may well want to wave it in front of the judge who heards the ES claim as you can show that they are either undervaluing people's time as a LiP or they are filing claims that are losing them money so the only way of recovering their costs is by entering into a champertous agreement with ES ( read up on Champerty and Maintenance- bloody difficult to prove but you never know they may have just hanged themselves)

Really wanted to say thanks for all your help ericsbrother. I am keen to keep working on this and also hope it will help many others. I would be very interested in finding a 3rd way to sue them and take them down further. If you believe this is possible then I'd be more than happy to file a 3rd claim against them. I'd really appreciate your continued support on this and if you believe there is any ground for us to take this much further then work with me and we will hurt them bad.

What are the possible legal avenues at this stage? Honestly don't mind shelling out money at this stage if I have a good chance of winning.

there is nothing further to do at this point. The case will be allocated to a court eventually and both parties will get a directions questionnaire.

the poit about this claim for £450 costs is that it is not the same as the costs they claim for the same amount of work with their claim against you so they are not being honest in one or other of the cases.

If they are telling the truth about costs when they sue you then thsi claim for costs wont stand up and if this is the true cost of proceeding against you then they must be taking on business that only pays when they win (as there is no money coming from client at outset) and that means they can only continue theiraction by taking the profits for themselves and that is likely to be Champerty as the original claimant no longer has an interest in the matter.

It is not a matter of money, it is a matter of knowledge. Unless someone accidentally provides copies of the ES and Gladstones accounts you will never really get the smoking gun you need so keep to what you can do.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.