Blacklists by lenders - do they exist?

Jessica87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2811 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got myself into trouble with a Halifax student overdraft many many years ago and the fees racked up so much I couldn't afford to pay it back before the debt was sold off. I moved away and sort of lost track of it.

The debt became statue barred and fell off my credit file around 2011.

Am I as good as dead to Halifax for any future business or will I be long forgotten by now, or in the near future? I'm looking for a mortgage and Halifax look promising but it seems like a bad idea to approach them or any of their group companies.

What happens to people who do this with a few lenders? If you mess about with a few you could wipe out the majority of the high street lenders because they all seem to be owned by each other to various degrees.

My own opinion is not to worry. Creditors now ditch and terminate overdue accounts now at the drop of a hat. They simply sell the debt to a collection agency and use it as a tax wright off. Very few lenders keep personal information beyond six years after the account has been terminated.

I defauted on a Cap 1 card in 2010 and sold to a DCA. Cap 1 have just given me a credit card two months ago with a credit limit of 2 k

• Confused 1

If they sold the debt on then it will be in some form of archives by now and shouldn't affect anything.

From a lending point of view they only check for the last 6 years.

For example, i got into trouble a while back with 2 cap 1 credit cards which have now gone from my files, i applied and was accepted for a cap 1 card a few months back.

I suppose if they permanently blacklisted people forever (of which there is no evidence) they would run out of customers eventually!

• Confused 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Thanks, this makes sense, I was under the impression they would need to remove your data after a while as they no longer have a business need to retain it but maybe if you still *technically* owe money, they would have a reason to keep your name on file.

I guess there is only one way to find out but I'd rather avoid the embarrassment!

Only in readily available format for last 6 yrs, anything sold on or older is archived into a "relevant filing system"

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

No i dont think so, if your credit is now good you could always test the water with a credit card application, just be aware that if unsuccessful it leaves a hard search on your cra file.

Maybe try the "check availability" in the offers section on noddle or clearscore, this will only leave a soft search not visible to lenders

they would most probably see it in their own internal data search

but if it makes any odds to them or if they even search that on a mortgage application...who knows...

don't forget a debt in E&W still exists even if SB'd.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Most credit card applications now allow you a soft cedit check option prior to the hard check. It will say if you are going to be accepted before the main hard credit check that will be recorded. That soft check is not recorded on your credit files to other lenders. Cap 1 did that with me

on a mortgage decision in principle Halifax are one of the lenders that only do a soft search so no footprint is left.

Santander are the same for a DIP. No full credit search until you actually apply

Then when you apply they refuse you

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D