style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am a BTL Landlord who got into arrears. I received a letter from Mortgage Company in June 2014 stating that the Court papers were being processed in order to repossess the property. The property at that time was vacant and after this revelation I thought it wise not to advertise for another tenant.

I must also state that I am an overseas resident. I finally received a repossession order in March 2016.

My problem is that I have been charged for Council Tax for the period between June 2014 and April 2016. I have told the CT dept but they say I must pay.

Any advise would be most welcome.

Did you make a change of circumstances to your LA on the date you moved out or within a reasonable period of time? If so did you keep a copy of the letter email and its receipt?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

You still have to pay council tax on empty properties.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/second-homes-and-empty-properties

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Did you make a change of circumstances to your LA on the date you moved out or within a reasonable period of time? If so did you keep a copy of the letter email and its receipt?
Yes I informed The LA of the circumstances after it was clear I would not be able to re-let.

I don't think the Council are concerned whether its being repossessed ...vacant or not.As per the above link it can be at the discretion of the council on a case by case...

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

As I live in Spain are they likely to chase me for the Council Tax?

How much roughly is outstanding?

I would try to set up some kind of payment plan...I'm sure you can negotiate it to suit you:wink:

From the date of repossession a Class L exemption can be applied however prior to that it would be treat simply as an un-occupied property and any applicable charge would be due (depending on what the local council does for an empty property).