• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Welcome says My £12k CCA Regulated secured Loan will now become a mortgage!

Baz1994
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1765 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:thumb:

Well I hope you do get it sorted.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb:

Well I hope you do get it sorted.

So do I citizenB

They are crooks as far as we are concerned and still getting harassment from them even though we have submitted a letter in dispute regarding an arrears amount.

Constant phone calls even though we requested contact only in writing. Totalling ignoring our requests and evidence of said amount.

If other threads are anything to go by Welcome are not a very nice company to do business with and will create all kinds of problems where there might not have been any.

I think you might need to make a formal complaint - putting everything you consider to be wrong, misleading - bullet point fashion and then wait to see what they have to say. If no satisfactory response (I think it is 8 weeks) you should then escalate to the FOS.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I can assure you they are awful. Had my OH in tears on a few occasions with their constant abuse.

I have been compiling as much evidence in the last year or so including a log of how many times we were called,

sometimes three times a day. I can tell you it was horrendous for us both.

I know we are not the only one's as I have seen other posts.

And yes it was our choice at the end of the day but we were desperate at the time.

When we approached them for assistance they said no can do and we will repossess your home etc.

So you can understand my determination to see this one through but I want to compose as much details as possible,

hence my request for some assistance.

If only I had found this marvellous site earlier as it could have saved us a lot of worry and stress.

But I am glad to say things are looking up now :wink:

Hi

On a second charge Mortgage the cooling off period is supplied via section 58 of the CC. It comes in the form of a pre contractual agreement which should be delivered to the borrower before they enter into the agreement formally. This is a requirement and can render an agreement unenforceable if not complied with if it was executed before 2007 and is under 25k.

The section 58 notice also stops the creditor form legally contacting the borrower until the period is over, although it does not work the other way around. Many of these agreements were flawed, really it would be better to see it to give a proper opinion. APR is not a prescribed term so is not a term which effects enforceability.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Regarding secret commission's claims, these have ben brought before against welcome, the sticking point ha been proving that the broker had a fiduciary duty to the debtor rather than jsut to the creditor.

A belated cheers Dogeball, missed your post.

Recently received a letter from FOS regarding my PPI claim with Welcome and they are reconsidering my complaint due to the court ruling of Plevin vs Paragon.

Not holding out much hope though as I had previously tried to obtain Underwriting sheets but could only prove hidden commissions / brokerage between broker and lender.

You always find that the more aggro welcome caused

The weaker their case is

It's a well known fact the nearly all 2nd or third charge loans were totally unlawful

They pulled every stunt they could to get extra money

And then would hassle nearly every month to make sure they got the money

From what I've seen and heard

Your agreement is as all those hidden welcome finance secured loans through 'spoof' brokers totally bogpaper

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

On a second charge Mortgage the cooling off period is supplied via section 58 of the CC. It comes in the form of a pre contractual agreement which should be delivered to the borrower before they enter into the agreement formally. This is a requirement and can render an agreement unenforceable if not complied with if it was executed before 2007 and is under 25k.

The section 58 notice also stops the creditor form legally contacting the borrower until the period is over, although it does not work the other way around. Many of these agreements were flawed, really it would be better to see it to give a proper opinion. APR is not a prescribed term so is not a term which effects enforceability.

OK dodgeball thanks but cannot submit attachments at the moment - don't know why ? Is there a limit as seems to be restricting me.

I am sure I posted up details on another issue including edited Legal Charge details.

You always find that the more aggro welcome caused

The weaker their case is

It's a well known fact the nearly all 2nd or third charge loans were totally unlawful

They pulled every stunt they could to get extra money

And then would hassle nearly every month to make sure they got the money

From what I've seen and heard

Your agreement is as all those hidden welcome finance secured loans through 'spoof' brokers totally bogpaper

Dx

Thanks dx

It's just knowing what to put to them in my defence and backed by relevant evidence / law.

It just doesn't seem right when looking at the grand scheme of things.

OK dodgeball thanks but cannot submit attachments at the moment - don't know why ? Is there a limit as seems to be restricting me.

I am sure I posted up details on another issue including edited Legal Charge details.

yes you are out of space here

go to User Panel

Scroll down left hand side - Miscellaneous > attachments . He will then see all his attachments. He just needs to click and delete those he no longer requires.

and kill some of the very early ones.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Many welcome agreements breached prescribed term requirements regarding charge for credit issues,

there is a few on here although not lately, I think.

The secret commission angle has been harder to prove.

The relavant part is showing that the broker owed a fiduciary duty to the debtor,

many still quote Hurstanger but this has been superseded and now all the creditor has to do it seems

is show that the mention of a broker fee was in the pre contractual pack

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Thanks dx

It's just knowing what to put to them in my defence and backed by relevant evidence / law.

It just doesn't seem right when looking at the grand scheme of things.

welcome and those words in the same sentence just don't mix.

all your relevant threads are now merged too

the MIF stuff is up the top dx

and they

yes you are out of space here

go to User Panel

Scroll down left hand side - Miscellaneous > attachments . He will then see all his attachments. He just needs to click and delete those he no longer requires.

and kill some of the very early ones.

OK dx cheers and will do

welcome and those words in the same sentence just don't mix.

all your relevant threads are now merged too

the MIF stuff is up the top dx

Thanks again dx

Legal Charge, Agreement and Insurance sheet now attached.

Thanks again

They have included the PPI in the credit which indicates that this should have been an optional charge.

Just needs the figures checking now to see if they are in the right place and also to see if they have charged interest in some of the charges for credit items. back to you later.

They have included the PPI in the credit which indicates that this should have been an optional charge.

Just needs the figures checking now to see if they are in the right place and also to see if they have charged interest in some of the charges for credit items. back to you later.

Many thanks dodgeball.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Just another thought, should there not be two separate agreements with their own prescribed terms.

One for the actual loan and another for the PPI, Fees and MIF (muLtiple agreements under section 18 CCA 1974) ?

And how do they calculate the APR figure of 20.1% ?

Section 18 is unlikely to be effective since heath and subsequent judgements, many have tried.

Unfortunately as far as I can see the rest of the figures look Kosher, however I will double check the APR which is a tad out but within the limits defined in the total charge for credit 1980 regs.

Yes unfortunately the charge is independent of the agreement in that respect. Have you checked if the charge is on your property deed or not. You can do so by going to the registry page and accessing it on line there is a fee of £3 which you pay by card.

the "cooling off period" is a little misleading I have always thought because it is easily confused with the cancellation period. The cooling off period is where you decide not to take out the loan, whereas a cancellation period is when you can cancel an agreement after it ahas been signed, there is no cancellation period on a second charge mortgage.

Ok Dodgeball all a little confusing.

Yes I had already checked and is on there for a third charge for Progressive Financial Services but no record for the loan on my recent Credit File.

What concerns me is that the "Cooling off Period" terms state that Welcome are not allowed to contact me during cooling off period.

Now we signed and sent agreement back dated 10th November 2003, yet I have telecon details (provided by them) that they contacted us on the 7th & 13th November 2003.

Also is a Secured Personal loan a charge on the property or still another mortgage ?

Many welcome agreements breached prescribed term requirements regarding charge for credit issues,

there is a few on here although not lately, I think.

The secret commission angle has been harder to prove.

The relavant part is showing that the broker owed a fiduciary duty to the debtor,

many still quote Hurstanger but this has been superseded and now all the creditor has to do it seems

is show that the mention of a broker fee was in the pre contractual pack

So what about non-disclosure of commissions in respect of PPI + Acceptance fee ?

I have evidence of this from my SAR in which we were never previously made aware of at the point of sale.

Acceptance fee is OK, as long as it is included within the charge for credit and not the total credit figure.

There has been a couple of cases where commission have been reclaimed, if it was disproportionate to the value of the cover where did this charge appear under the agreement, was it part of the price of the ppi ?

Sorry Dodgeball (sorry to sound thick) but when you say that its included within the charge of credit, do you mean showing separate to insurance / MIF and actual loan figure ?

i.e. Credit £12,000

PPI £2,142.43

MIF £1,320

Fee £235

Total £15,697.43

There's no mention of it in the agreement and we were not told, yet I now have evidence of brokerage / commissions transferred between the lender and broker.

It's just a pity I couldn't get an Underwriting sheet and I did contact Norwich Union / AVIVA with a policy number but they had no records or even recognised the reference used. Was there ever a policy in the first place I wonder.

Did anybody ever make a claim against it through the policy administrator Direct Group I wonder - I would be interested to know.

Also I was wondering why they decided to freeze the interest after my various complaints. Did not really give me an explanation ?

Sorry.

Is the breakdown you show is the brokerage fee included within the cost of the £2142 or is it an extra charge which is probably hidden in the charge for credit along with interest fees etc.

Apologies Dodgeball for the delay in my response was on nights and had to shoot off.

The only mentioned fee on the agreement was in respect of the acceptance fee £235.00 in which was charged for their credit counselling.

The agreement clearly states that the amount for £2,142.43 is in respect of Optional Payment Protection and no mention anywhere that there were commission / brokerage taken from this amount. It was never disclosed to us at the point of sale.

It was only when I requested data protection details that the relevant sheets for commission and brokerage were disclosed.

I hope I have made myself clear as all a bit confusing.

Cheers

They were taken from the insurance amount £2,142.43 plus Acceptance Fee £235.00 excluding the MIF total.

Hi all,

I've been reading many threads online about Welcome finance, and as I have a securered laon with them (we live and learn), I wanted to get a thread up on my secured loan.

Took it out around 2008 for £15k, paying around £330 back per month.

Approx 2 years ago I started to claim back PPI which in the end came to about £6k which they took off my balance.

3 months ago I received another letter from them saying they have not maintained their requirements by not sending me statements freaquent enough, and they have kindly taken £3k off my balance and reduced the APR to 0%.

It sounds all good as now there is light at the end of tbe tunnel and I have about 18 more payments remaining, balance is approx £7500.

Has anyone else received the same deductions as I have and APR dropped to 0%?

Based on all what I've been reading online about Welcome for some reason I'm feeling paranoid about the balance left and remaining payments, thinking should I have to pay them ( to confirm I will be maintaining the payments), and how honest is the actual loan?

Hi Mike,

I have just come across your old post whilst searching various Welcome issues on CAG.

Well all I can tell you about mine was that I submitted two complaints regarding mis-sale of PPI and lack of and delay of data protection details.

My PPI was rejected and has been with the ombudsman for nearly two years now and the other is also with FOS in which they are still looking at.

In the meantime I got another response from Welcome freezing the interest to 0% but they did not say why but only that it would save me £10,000 in the long run ? There has been a few issues with missing statements and incorrect amount stated on those statements received but they put it down to a IT hitch in their system.

Now if it was in respect of lack of statements then the interest for the years concerned total approx £7,500, so why was this not deducted from the balance ? The more I look into it, I may have to ask a few more questions for clarity.

Don't get me wrong I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth but whose to say they sell my loan and whoever reinstates the interest ! Would I have been in a better position to have the mentioned amount deducted but still pay interest on what was left ?

I had an old small arrears amount but they supposedly think it's double but cannot provide evidence so on the part it's still in dispute.

I am still paying current payments to date but the more I look at the agreement details etc and what happened above I am becoming slightly suspicious with the legalities.

Did you complain about lack of statements and were you aware that they were missing ?

Did Welcome state which were not sent and what years ?

I would be interested to know as may assist me going forward with my further complaint.

Cheers

I see so the actual cost of the insurance was 2142 - the insurance brokerage fees ?

How much were the fees and were these itemised as just for brokering the PPI or the whole loan.

Sorry for the questions but there has to be a clear picture as the line between what is legal and what is not is quite fine.

The PPI is listed in the credit as it should be if it is an optional charge, whereas the acceptance fee is listed in amongst the charge for credit (the interest etc) which it also should be because it is an amount that you must pay in order to procure the loan.

Cheers again Dodgeball and no worries.

On the sheets submitted as part of SAR it states :-

Cash Advance £12,000

Total Advance Less MIF £14,377.43

Commission £1,437.74

Then there's another sheet headed broker details

Total Commission amount £1,437.74

Broker Commission £718.17

There is no mention of insurance brokerage fees but only commission amounts in which also includes share of the Acceptance Fee.

If you want me to post up all details I can edit them but I have attached one of the sheets.

Also trying to locate that Welcome loan or similar calculator link but cannot trace it.

Can anyone help please, just need to check figures.

Thanks

Thus is one if the ones I use http://www.financecalcs.co.uk/Calcs/Settlement.php

the "amount of loan" is the amount of credit £14142.43

All repayments are the same and you want to see the result for full term so enter 180 in term run it gives a APR of 20.1 which is correct as far as it goes.