Moving back to UK

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3028 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I left the UK in 2012, paid off most debts but still had a couple outstanding..

I popped home in Nov 2015, opened some of my post and found a couple of CCJ court letters. I can't remember what they said but they were from the court, issuing proceedings. They were dated 2014.

I am returning to the UK long term soon. I will be unemployed to start with as I need medical care.

What should I do with the CCJS? Ignore or face them? Is it worth declaring myself bankrupt?

Cheers

PPP

just some more back ground- I don't have an assets apart from a suitcase of clothes. I will be lent a car that is not in my name, and living at a relatives house..

Very soon after registering at a UK address, your credit record will be updated with your new UK address. There is not much you can do about this, as many things are linked to credit records. The debt collection agencies have portals into the credit agencies and appear to pick up new addresses quite quickly. So you might well be contacted within a few months of returning.

If you are currently abroad there is not much you can do, as if you asked a court to set aside a CCJ, you might have to attend a UK court, to address the debt. The set aside is purely about the judgement and in your situation would mean putting the claim back to the stage where the claim can be looked at. This is why you can't really set aside based on not being present when the court claim was issued. You have to state other reasons about the debt, which a court could look at. Quite often a set aside based on not receiving the court claim fails, as a Judge says you shoukd have advised creditors of your new address. There are court fees for a set aside and you can only claim exemption for fees by providing evidence of low income.

My suggestion is to wait until you are settled back in the UK and when you are ready to seek advice. Might be best to contact Stepchange the debt registered charity to see what they advise. There may be other debt relief options, rather than bankruptcy.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread