Living abroad, UK DCA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I currently live in the Middle East and have done for 4 years. I recently received an email from a UK DCA claiming I owed some money (£2,500) in the UK that they were chasing. They said the debt had been assigned to them. Without acknowledging the debt was mine I asked them for my own peace of mind to provide me with an account statement showing me how the figure they claimed I owed had been arrived at. They said this would take up to 60 days to get from the original lender, longer in some circumstances. This was in early August and as of now I have not heard back from them.

Any advice on what I should do? I was going to write to them asking for an update but part of me thinks I should just leave it. I would obviously like to draw a line under the matter but am unsure what to make of their lack of contact.

Thanks in advance.

As you are out of the UK in a country which adjudication for the UK Courts is almost non-existent, Id say you are pretty safe.

Who is the DCA and what account is it?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

As you are out of the UK in a country which adjudication for the UK Courts is almost non-existent, Id say you are pretty safe.

Who is the DCA and what account is it?

Lowells are the DCA. The account was for a firm I had never heard of, hence why I asked for details as I have no paperwork at all relating to the account.

Can't they just send stuff to a previous (UK) address?

They could but I do not have a UK address now so I wouldn't receive it. They have also acknowledged in my emails to them that they accept I am living abroad and I have given them my address and contact details here.

I am not trying to avoid paying, but to receive a demand for payment by email from a firm you have never had dealings with about an account I know nothing about I would expect a little more information from them. My main query was why if they bought the alleged debt they seem unwilling (or unable) to supply me with details relating to the account.

Tbh there is not a lot they can do since you are a non resident. But they could issue a claim at your last known address.

But this can be dealt with if it happens. I would inform them of your new address then they may just drop this as non collectable. Or at least until you return to the UK.

Do you know when the last payment was? They make simply get the information you requested that may be the delay...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

They could but I do not have a UK address now so I wouldn't receive it. They have also acknowledged in my emails to them that they accept I am living abroad and I have given them my address and contact details here.

I am not trying to avoid paying, but to receive a demand for payment by email from a firm you have never had dealings with about an account I know nothing about I would expect a little more information from them. My main query was why if they bought the alleged debt they seem unwilling (or unable) to supply me with details relating to the account.

Have you anything ongoing in the UK e.g Bank accounts, properties you own.

Do you have any other debts ?

Make sure UK creditors have your Foreign address and ideally your UK credit record should indicate you are resident abroad. What can happen is that some UK DCA's seem to conveniently not tell their Solicitors the debtor is abroad or the Solicitors does not notice. They then get a sneaky CCJ using the last known UK address, which can be difficult to get set aside, unless you can find issues with the debt. If you did not tell the original creditors you had gone abroad, Courts would not look at set asides purely based on you not being resident in the UK.

If you have debts in the UK exceeding £5k and own any UK property, you should be more energetic in getting your foreign residence fully recognised by UK debt owners. There have been cases where DCA's have bought debts exceeding the Bankruptcy threshold with a view to going after property assets.

As has been said, if you are living in the Middle East, it would be difficult for DCA's to enforce these debts, unless they somehow don't know you are abroad, so get a UK court judgement, which they look to take further.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...
Have you anything ongoing in the UK e.g Bank accounts, properties you own.

Do you have any other debts ?

Make sure UK creditors have your Foreign address and ideally your UK credit record should indicate you are resident abroad. What can happen is that some UK DCA's seem to conveniently not tell their Solicitors the debtor is abroad or the Solicitors does not notice. They then get a sneaky CCJ using the last known UK address, which can be difficult to get set aside, unless you can find issues with the debt. If you did not tell the original creditors you had gone abroad, Courts would not look at set asides purely based on you not being resident in the UK.

If you have debts in the UK exceeding £5k and own any UK property, you should be more energetic in getting your foreign residence fully recognised by UK debt owners. There have been cases where DCA's have bought debts exceeding the Bankruptcy threshold with a view to going after property assets.

As has been said, if you are living in the Middle East, it would be difficult for DCA's to enforce these debts, unless they somehow don't know you are abroad, so get a UK court judgement, which they look to take further.

Apologies for the late reply. Thanks for the advice so far. I have no assets in the UK at all. I have one debt which will be paid off early in the new year. aside from that nothing. I do have a uk bank account. I emailed them today and asked if they have received any account statement from the original creditor to prove the debt and if they could not supply one I would consider the matter closed. They replied by email and said they were still waiting on the statement and were under no obligation to provide one within a set period of time anyway. Seems an awfully long time to get a statement, almost 4 months. I assume the ball is in their court so I will leave the matter unless I hear from them now.

I will just leave the matter now I think. I am a permenant resident abroad which they have acknowledged and I have no plans to move back to the uk anytime soon.

Ignore them, especially lowlifes, although they have been quite litigious of late, if they don't own it, there's nothing they can do.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!