Eurostar won't refund after Paris terrorist attack

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3060 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all - just wondered if there's anything we can do?

My daughter was due to travel to Paris today (should have been yesterday, thankfully she had to change it for today!) by Eurostar, and then there was the terror attack last night which was literally within the area she would have been staying and holidaying in.

Now, French authorities are telling everyone to stay indoors, Disneyland and all other public places, attractions and many shops etc are closed, and the area is pretty much cordoned off, despite all this Eurostar will not issue a refund, they are only willing to change the ticket for a different date. My daughter does not want to visit Paris at a different date, neither does she have any annual leave left to be able to book anything even if she did want to try to go back.

It was 2 tickets, at the combined cost of £210.

Is there any way she can get a refund - even a partial one - of this?

A bit tricky. I think that the only way is to contact the press. I'll send a message out to a few contacts.

Have they said how long you would have to travel on the exchange ticket before it expires?

I've had a call back from a journalist.

Please will you email me your contact details on our admin email address please as they would like to speak with you

A bit tricky. I think that the only way is to contact the press. I'll send a message out to a few contacts.

Have they said how long you would have to travel on the exchange ticket before it expires?

60 days.

60 days.

Wholly unacceptable. This is very unrealistic so that Eurostar stands to make money out of this incident. Thee must ne lost of people who are unable to use their new ticket within 60 days

Will do, thanks

Waiting

• Confused 1

Received. Thanks.

You may need to check your spam box for my response

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france

Still current at:

14 November 2015

Updated:

14 November 2015

Latest update: Summary - on Friday 13 November, a number of terrorist incidents took place in central Paris (10th/11th arrondissements) resulting in a number of casualties. There were further terrorist incidents near to the Stade de France stadium, also resulting in casualties. British nationals are advised to exercise caution in public places and follow the advice of the local authorities. French Government advice is currently to stay indoors. Systematic border control checks have been implemented at all entry points into France. On Saturday 14 November 11 stations on Paris Metro lines 3,5,8,9 will be closed along with bus services crossing the 10th and 11th arrondissements.

Members of the public who have been directly affected by the incidents in Paris, or who are concerned about family members and friends who may be directly affected can call the Foreign and Commonwealth on 020 7008 0000.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Are trains to France running?

Eurostar services have been running to Paris from London St Pancras but there were reports that many seats were empty. Passengers who had booked to travel to Paris but decided against it have been offered a free exchange.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-advice/11995550/Paris-attacks-Is-it-safe-to-travel-to-Paris.html

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have exactly the same problem!!!

I sent this email to SkyNews earlier...after being soundly rejected in my endeavours to claim a refund from Eurostar. The email reads:

Good afternoon,

I am a Sky subscriber and a daily Sky news viewer.

My wife, Daughter and granddaughter were all booked on Eurostar on the 2nd of December 2015, to go on a day trip to the Christmas market on the Champs Elysees – a Christmas treat for all of them from me.

In view of the devastating news and distressing scenes on Friday and over the weekend, none of them, understandably, want to go to Paris now?

I called Eurostar Customer Service three times today, waiting over 20 minutes at a time to be put though (the first two times I was cut off after waiting 20 minutes – very frustrating). However, I am sure they are busy with many callers in the same position.

When I finally got through at 14.50 today, I spoke to ‘Chevely’ who refused point blank to refund the cost of the tickets. My three favourite women in the world either go to Paris and risk being shot or blown to bits, or we kiss goodbye the £221.00 which was the cost of the tickets.

This is utterly shameless, disgraceful and shows complete contempt for the feelings of those who are understandably very scared and don’t want to take more risks than we are all already faced with?

I think that this money grabbing conduct should be made public, and that under the circumstances, Eurostar should be persuaded to change their completely unreasonable position in these exceptionally trying times?

What do other Sky News viewers think?

end of email

I am interested to hear from anyone in the Consumer Action Group who has had similar issues...

Update:

Earlier, I was refused a refund for my Eurostar tickets.

At 17.45 today I decided to try again (as i don't intend to roll over on this one!) and spoke at length with the 'duty manager' at Eurostar Customer Services - a guy named Steve Butcher.

I explained the situation again...My wife, daughter and granddaughter were all booked on Eurostar on the 2nd of December 2015, to go on a day trip to the Christmas market on the Champs Elysees – a special Christmas treat for my granddaughter from me. A girlies day out!

In view of the devastating news and distressing scenes on Friday and over the weekend, none of them, understandably, want to go to Paris now? My grandaughter (who is 11) has seen the footage on the news and is too scared to go.

I suggested to Mr Butcher that surely Eurostar would not wish to be seen to be profiteering from 'no shows' due to the tragic events in Paris?

His response was that Eurostar have taken (quote) "A commercial decision not to refund passengers" who do not want to risk their lives visiting Paris despite the escalating crisis.

I confirmed that my family will not travel due to the unsafe conditions. He suggested they travel to Brussels instead!

I said, "so you want me to send them to the very place where thousands of French and Belgian security forces are combing the streets for the ringleader of the group who committed the atrocities and at least two of the perpetrators who escaped to Belgium after the attacks"?

"In addition, the French airforce is bombing IS targets in Raqqa today, prompting an IS statement that they will attack again in retaliation for these new bombing raids".

Mr Butcher repeated his position that Eurostar will not refund. I asked him if he would escalate my request to Senior Management and he refused.

I suggested that Eurostar would not care to be regarded as 'a company enjoying the profit they make from the terror caused by death and injury to innocent people'.

He once again refused to refund my tickets.

They clearly are shameless and unrepentant in their completely unreasonable position.

I could never be that heartless or need the money that much...

Are you all serious? I can't believe this Daily Mail type reactionary behaviour. This is Paris France we are talking about, not Baghdad. It was a tragic, desperately sad day last Friday and, yes, the situation is far from resolved, but please can we all calm down and instead of running away, show some support to our European neighbours. Did we turn people away from London in the wake of 7/7. Get over this 'my life is so important and I'm such an important human being' that I can't take the risk of visiting a city that had a terrorist attack 4 weeks previously.

We all stand together in Europe, don't let terrorists win. Eurostar are not profiting from terror. They sold tickets in good faith and unless the British Consulate advises people against visiting Paris (which would be an outrageous over-reaction), then calm down, leave Eurostar alone and visit Paris, have a good time and support the French people in their struggles.

Tyler H - outrageous over reaction????

Did you watch any of the footage of the multiple location horrific and indiscriminate attacks on ordinary people on Friday night?

Subsequently, did you see the absolute terror on the faces of those who were running from the firecrackers someone let off in a Paris street over the weekend?

The nice people in the Bataclan Concert hall were 'standing together' on Friday night...

89 of them are now lying in a Paris morgue...

You need to lose your dismissive attitude toward other peoples feelings and stop protecting corporate profits my friend.

My granddaughter is terrified. She has a right not to go to a place that is currently overwhelmed by sadness and grief.

Why then wont Eurostar simply refund the tickets??? They can easily resell them based on your assumptions?

...and as for your "this is Paris France we are talking about, not Baghdad" remark...I suspect you probably would not be brave enough to say that to the faces of the 132 victims families?

And if you are...I have three tickets to Paris you can use to travel there and show them how you disrespect the memory of their loved ones.

Respect others - value life, liberty and fraternity - and the right of those who choose not to endanger themselves when faced with extreme circumstances.

Legally the company do not have to do a refund

Morally its a different questions.

However

Perhaps one of the safest places to be right now with all the enhanced security IS PARIS

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Tyler H - outrageous over reaction????

Did you watch any of the footage of the multiple location horrific and indiscriminate attacks on ordinary people on Friday night?

Subsequently, did you see the absolute terror on the faces of those who were running from the firecrackers someone let off in a Paris street over the weekend?

The nice people in the Bataclan Concert hall were 'standing together' on Friday night...

89 of them are now lying in a Paris morgue...

You need to lose your dismissive attitude toward other peoples feelings and stop protecting corporate profits my friend.

My granddaughter is terrified. She has a right not to go to a place that is currently overwhelmed by sadness and grief.

Why then wont Eurostar simply refund the tickets??? They can easily resell them based on your assumptions?

...and as for your "this is Paris France we are talking about, not Baghdad" remark...I suspect you probably would not be brave enough to say that to the faces of the 132 victims families?

And if you are...I have three tickets to Paris you can use to travel there and show them how you disrespect the memory of their loved ones.

Respect others - value life, liberty and fraternity - and the right of those who choose not to endanger themselves when faced with extreme circumstances.

Yes, well maybe you're right. Perhaps Eurostar and every single international airline should refund fares. Perhaps the shops and restaurants employing people in Paris should tell their staff it's not safe and they're closing up. Perhaps we should just corden off this dangerous city and leave those silly enough to remain to rot. Or maybe we should put it in perspective. Of course the TV pictures were horrifying, it had JUST HAPPENED.

And thanks for the "...and as for your "this is Paris France we are talking about, not Baghdad" remark...I suspect you probably would not be brave enough to say that to the faces of the 132 victims families?

And if you are...I have three tickets to Paris you can use to travel there and show them how you disrespect the memory of their loved ones." remark you made. It truly does show (a) a Daily Mail type spin and twist of my comment and (b) is disrespectful itself. If you truly believe Paris is more dangerous than Baghdad right now then maybe you should stay in your little cottage, bring your family up in cotton wool and remove yourself from real life.

As Sabre mentioned and as any sane person would observe, can you think of a city in Europe right now with better security and honestly, what are the chances of this happening again in Paris?

To respect those who died and their families is to show support, not act like a coward.

Are you all serious? I can't believe this Daily Mail type reactionary behaviour. This is Paris France we are talking about, not Baghdad. It was a tragic, desperately sad day last Friday and, yes, the situation is far from resolved, but please can we all calm down and instead of running away, show some support to our European neighbours. Did we turn people away from London in the wake of 7/7. Get over this 'my life is so important and I'm such an important human being' that I can't take the risk of visiting a city that had a terrorist attack 4 weeks previously.

We all stand together in Europe, don't let terrorists win. Eurostar are not profiting from terror. They sold tickets in good faith and unless the British Consulate advises people against visiting Paris (which would be an outrageous over-reaction), then calm down, leave Eurostar alone and visit Paris, have a good time and support the French people in their struggles.

I agree with this. I understand not wanting to Travel, but Eurostar is a commercial company and cannot be financially responsible for events beyond their control. It is the same with Travel Insurance, who won't cover cancellation due to people not wanting to travel, unless there is a government advice notice issued not to travel.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Tyler H

Removed..

They are just telling you the blunt truth about the situation, which is not what you want to read.

Unless there is a travel advisory not to travel or something else which stops the trains running, you are not going to get a refund for this trip.

Will Eurostar allow you to transfer your tickets (subject to whatever process) to others who are willing to travel on these dates ?

Edited by Andyorch
Quote removed from unapproved post

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

There is a lot of unjustified hysteria about in the wake of these latest attacks to the extent that a friend of mine refused to go shopping in the Trafford Centre last night in fear of a terrorist attack.

As have been said, Eurostar currently has no legal obligation to refund train tickets.

I'd just like to add something to this thread as another person who is in a tricky situation with regards to Eurostar.

I absolutely 100% want to show my support to France and would love more than anything to be able to go over there as planned,

pay my respects and show solidarity by carrying on as before.

The difficulty I have is that my three step children do not understand this (unfortunately, neither does their tabloid-reading, ignorant mother),

and so what was going to be the magical trip of a lifetime has now become a huge risk

when on Boxing Day they open their gift of passports and travel tickets,

and burst into tears because they're so frightened

My stepson has been sharing Britain First posts on Facebook because he has NO IDEA what any of this means.

We intend to talk to him tomorrow when he comes to our house,

but we can only do so much and when his mother is magnifying the panic and hysteria, what can we do?!

So whilst I agree with what's been said above, when children come into the picture it's a completely different ballgame.

Edited by SabreSheep
removed argumentative sentance

Unnecessary insulting/abusive posts removed.

Stick to the issue at hand.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hi ,

I am also having no joy getting a refund from Eurostar. I booked tickets 1 hour before the attacks started on Friday 13th. standard premier tickets circa £340

this is to take my wife for new year for 4 days.

Due to all the problems she is incredibly upset by what has happened and we both feel that its not a safe place to be going at the moment - France is in a state of emergency and there are escalations occurring on a daily basis.

All Eurostar say is you can change dates but this is not something that is going away in the short term. I would not have purchased these tickets based on the current situation in france. They are basically profiteering.

Its the first time I have booked Eurostar and feel deeply frustrated with their reaction to this request. Its not a case of changing my mind due to dates it that fact the home office has stated that British citizens may be targeted .

can anyone please advise on what can be done?

Many thanks