• Tweets

• No! What has happened is that your pix were up-to-date: 5 hours' maximum stay and £100 PCN. The lazy solicitors have sent ancient pictures: 4 hours' maximum stay and £60 PCN. Don't let on!  Let them be hoisted by their own lazy petard in the court hearing (if they don't bottle before).
    • Thanks for all the suggestions so far I will amend original WS and send again for review.  While looking at my post at very beginning when I submitted photos of signs around the car park I noticed that it says 5 hours maximum stay while the signage sent by solicitor shows 4 hours maximum stay but mine is related to electric bay abuse not sure if this can be of any use in WS.
    • Not sure what to make of that or what it means for me, I was just about to head to my kip and it's a bit too late for legalise. When is the "expenditure occured"?  When they start spending money to write to me?  Or is this a bad thing (as "harsh" would imply)? When all is said and done, I do not have two beans to rub together, we rent our home and EVERYTHING of value has been purchased by and is in my wife's name and we are not financially linked in any way.  So at least if I can't escape my fate I can at least know that they will get sweet FA from me anyway   edit:  ah.. Sophia Harrison: Time bar decision tough on claimants WWW.SCOTTISHLEGAL.COM Time bar is a very complex area of law in Scotland relating to the period in which a claim for breach of duty can be pursued. The Scottish government...   This explains it like I am 5.  So, a good thing then because creditors clearly know they have suffered a loss the minute I stop paying them, this is why it is "harsh" (for them, not me)? Am I understanding this correctly?  
    • urm......exactly what you filed .....read it carefully... it puts them to strict proof to prove the debt is enforceable, so thus 'holds' their claim till they coughup or not and discontinue. you need to get readingthose threads i posted so you understand. then you'll know whats maybe next how to react or not and whats after that. 5-10 threads a day INHO. dont ever do anything without checking here 1st.
    • I've done a new version including LFI's suggestions.  I've also change the order to put your strongest arguments first.  Where possible the changes are in red.  The numbering is obviously knackered.  See what you think. Background  1.1  The Defendant received the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) on the 06th of November 2020 following the vehicle being parked at Arla Old Dairy, South Ruislip on the 05th of December 2019.  Unfair PCN  4.1  On XXXXX the Defendant sent the Claimant's solicitors a CPR request.  As shown in Exhibit 1 (pages 7-13) the solicitors helpfully sent photos of 46 signs in their evidence all clearly showing a £60.00 parking charge notice (which will  be reduced if paid promptly).  There can be no room for doubt here - there are 46 signs produced in the Claimant's own evidence. 4.2  Yet the PCN affixed to the vehicle was for a £100.00 parking charge notice (reduced if paid promptly).  The reminder letters from the Claimant again all demanded £100. 4.3        The Claimant relies on signage to create a contract.  It is unlawful for the Claimant to write that the charge is £60 on their signs and then send demands for £100.   4.4        The unlawful £100 charge is also the basis for the Claimant's Particulars of Claim. No Locus Standi 2.1  I do not believe a contract exists with the landowner that gives MET Parking Services a right to bring claims in their own name. Definition of “Relevant contract” from the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4,  2 [1] means a contract Including a contract arising only when the vehicle was parked on the relevant land between the driver and a person who is-  (a) the owner or occupier of the land; or  (b) Authorised, under or by virtue of arrangements made by the owner or occupier of the land, to enter into a contract with the driver requiring the payment of parking charges in respect of the parking of the vehicle on the land. According to https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/46/section/44  For a contract to be valid, it requires a director from each company to sign and then two independent witnesses must confirm those signatures.  2.2  The Defendant requested to see such a contract in the CPR request.  The contract produced was largely illegible and heavily redacted, and the fact that it contained no witness signatures present means the contract has not been validly executed. Therefore, there can be no contract established between MET Parking Services and the motorist. Even if “No Parking in Electric Bay” could form a contract (which it cannot), it is immaterial. There is no valid contract. Illegal Conduct – No Contract Formed  3.1 At the time of writing, the Claimant has failed to provide proof of planning permission granted for signage etc under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. Lack of planning permission is a criminal offence under this Act and no contract can be formed where criminality is involved.  3.4        I also do not believe the claimant possesses this document.  No Keeper Liability  5.1        The defendant was not the driver at the time and date mentioned in the PCN and the claimant has not established keeper liability under schedule 4 of the PoFA 2012. In this matter, the defendant puts it to the claimant to produce strict proof as to who was driving at the time.  5.2 The claimant in their Notice To Keeper also failed to comply with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 section 9[2][f] while mentioning “the right to recover from the keeper so much of that parking charge as remains unpaid” where they did not include statement “(if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met)”.    5.3        The claimant did not mention the parking period instead only mentioned time 20:25 which is not sufficient to qualify as a parking period.   Protection of Freedoms Act 2012  The notice must -  (a) specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates; 22. In the persuasive judgement K4GF167G - Premier Park Ltd v Mr Mathur - Horsham County Court – 5 January 2024 it was on this very point that the judge dismissed this claim. 5.4  A the PCN does not comply with the Act the Defendant as keeper is not liable. Interest 6.2  It is unreasonable for the Claimant to delay litigation for four years in order to add excessive interest. Double Recovery  7.1  The claim is littered with made-up charges. 7.2  As noted above, the Claimant's signs state a £60 charge yet their PCN is for £100. 7.3  As well as the £100 parking charge, the Claimant seeks recovery of an additional £70.  This is simply a poor attempt to circumvent the legal costs cap at small claims. 29. Since 2019, many County Courts have considered claims in excess of £100 to be an abuse of process leading to them being struck out ab initio. An example, in the Caernarfon Court in VCS v Davies, case No. FTQZ4W28 on 4th September 2019, District Judge Jones-Evans stated “Upon it being recorded that District Judge Jones- Evans has over a very significant period of time warned advocates (...) in many cases of this nature before this court that their claim for £60 is unenforceable in law and is an abuse of process and is nothing more than a poor attempt to go behind the decision of the Supreme Court v Beavis which inter alia decided that a figure of £160 as a global sum claimed in this case would be a penalty and not a genuine pre-estimate of loss and therefore unenforceable in law and if the practise continued, he would treat all cases as a claim for £160 and therefore a penalty and unenforceable in law it is hereby declared (…) the claim is struck out and declared to be wholly without merit and an abuse of process.” 30. In Claim Nos. F0DP806M and F0DP201T, District Judge Taylor echoed earlier General Judgment or Orders of District Judge Grand, stating ''It is ordered that the claim is struck out as an abuse of process. The claim contains a substantial charge additional to the parking charge which it is alleged the Defendant contracted to pay. This additional charge is not recoverable under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4 nor with reference to the judgment in Parking Eye v Beavis. It is an abuse of process from the Claimant to issue a knowingly inflated claim for an additional sum which it is not entitled to recover. This order has been made by the court of its own initiative without a hearing pursuant to CPR Rule 3.3(4)) of the Civil Procedure Rules 1998...'' 31. In the persuasive case of G4QZ465V - Excel Parking Services Ltd v Wilkinson – Bradford County Court -2 July 2020 (Exhibit 2) the judge had decided that Excel had won. However, due to Excel adding on the £60 the Judge dismissed the case. 7.7        The addition of costs not previously specified on signage are also in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, Schedule 2, specifically paras 6, 10 and 14.  7.8        It is the Defendant’s position that the Claimant in this case has knowingly submitted inflated costs and thus the entire claim should be similarly struck out in accordance with Civil Procedure Rule 3.3(4).  In Conclusion  8.1        I invite the court to dismiss the claim. Statement of Truth I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

*ADMIN FEE WAIVED* DHL Admin Charge - "Invoices Remain Unpaid"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ordered supplements from the USA some time ago, delivered by DHL. 2 months later a letter by post demanding VAT and £10 admin fee. Emailed them, and they responded

Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing to us and apologies for the delay in response.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Whenever a product is imported to UK and the value of the product exceeds £15.00,

It is liable for import Duty and VAT payment for customs clearance.

The VAT calculation is done by the HMRC for the package which is imported to UK.

Please find attached customs document for customs reference number. UK Customs HMRC contact number 0300 200 3700.

The reason why the Duty & VAT was not updated is because this shipment was not updated in our collection file that is why you did not receive any call or text message from DHL regarding this payment before delivery. For more query on this kindly contact our Aviation team at 01332 857 082

Spoke to HM Customs who advised me that VAT at 20% was payable, couldn't comment on admin fees. I emailed offering to pay VAT, was told to ring an 084 number. I declined and asked for an email address but they said
Unfortunately, we do not have a direct email address for the head office. Hence, we request you to contact our head office at 0844 248 0777, option 6.
Emailed them again saying that I expect all correspondence to be dealt using the email address given on their letters. Waiting for a response.

Again OD you have not managed to find any evidence to support their lawfulness

The contract is between the seller and the parcel company

there is no statutory implement to force a 3rd party into a commercial contract without their knowledge or consent

This is the advice this forum offers until EVIDENCE appears that updates that guidance

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The Admin fee is not unlawful if procesing a shipment on behalf of HM revenue and customs

The administration fee is what dhl are trying to charge

the administration fee IS UNLAWFUL

The only fee that would be collected for HM revenue and customs is the vat

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Dear Mr XXXXX

Thank you for contacting Royal Mail.

Royal Mail Group is authorised under the Postal Packets (Customs and Excise) Regulations 1986 and section 105 of the Postal Services Act 2000 to clear postal items through customs where no other arrangements have been made. This involves paying duty and taxes to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) up front, dealing with all relevant HMRC paperwork and record keeping, and processing the payment collected from the recipient.

Our charges have been created as part of the Overseas Letter Post Scheme, created under Section 89 of the Postal Services Act 2000.

Certain Royal Mail products or services have the charges, terms and conditions detailed in documents called ‘Schemes’. These Schemes are published under the Postal Services Act 2000 and mean that it is not necessary for Royal Mail to have individual contracts with each and every customer purchasing these products or using these services.

You can read the relevant legislation at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/26/contents and our Overseas Letter Post Scheme can be found at http://www.royalmail.com/sites/defau...0March2015.pdf

As you can see these charges have been created legally under the relevant laws and Royal Mail are legally authorised to recover both the customs charges levied and any other charges payable.

I hope you have found this information helpful. If there is anything else we can help you with though, please let us know.

Regards

This will cover all the other courier companies as well who levy a handling charge on behalf of HMRC

The Postal Services Act has now been amended as of 2011

In place of Universal Service Provider, "Postal Operator" has now been inserted

So the likes of TNT, DHL, FedEx etc can lawfully impose this handlig fee as they are licenced as "Postal Operators"

It is up to the recipient which carrier they decide to use as to the cost of that handling fee

Edited by obiter dictum

As they are collecting on behalf of HMRC it should be HMRC that pays them.

But it does have a cost and if refusals to pay an admin charge increase I can see carriers refusing to do the service and the parcel being dumped in some customs warehouse somewhere awaiting collection.

That will be more than the admin charge.

"(7)Any charge payable by virtue of this section may be recovered by the universal service provider concerned and in England and Wales and Northern Ireland may be so recovered as a civil debt due to him."

This would apply to the person that contracted the courier to do the delivery.

That would be the sender.

Royal Mail choose to try and make the recipient responsible but the legislation does not say this.,

It does not grant power to create a civil debt for a service to a third party that they did not request.

AND it is a CIVIL debt and therefore normal common law applies.

Also their terms and conditions are not relevant to the third party.

ONLY IF the receiver contracts the company to make the delivery directly do their T+Cs bind them.

In many cases it is the SELLER that decides the method of postage and therefore the contract T+Cs bind them and not the receiver.

SO other than a bad interpretation and mis application of statute, do you have any evidence that they can bind a third party to their T+Cs?

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

"(7)Any charge payable by virtue of this section may be recovered by the universal service provider concerned and in England and Wales and Northern Ireland may be so recovered as a civil debt due to him."

This would apply to the person that contracted the courier to do the delivery.

That would be the sender.

Royal Mail choose to try and make the recipient responsible but the legislation does not say this.,

It does not grant power to create a civil debt for a service to a third party that they did not request.

AND it is a CIVIL debt and therefore normal common law applies.

Also their terms and conditions are not relevant to the third party.

ONLY IF the receiver contracts the company to make the delivery directly do their T+Cs bind them.

SO other than a bad interpretation and mis application of statute, do you have any evidence that they can bind a third party to their T+Cs?

That's plainly wrong and very naive........ the consignee contracts the carriage, there's no getting away from incoterms. This has been discussed numerous times on this forum.

Secondly the act states "Recovered"

Charging a fee is not a recovery

Point one there is no such thing any more as a Universal service provider since 2011

Point 2 is that the postal operator under licence is allowed to invoice this processing charge on behalf of HMRC.

The legislation allowing that has already been posted

I will comment no more as that is referenced fact and not personal opinion

Edited by obiter dictum

Yes it says charges may be recovered, but for it to be a recovery I think you will find that it needs to have been paid out first. AN ADMIN FEE IS BEING CHARGED AND NOT RECOVERED and therefore the legislation you posted does not support that

It also does not state as a matter of fact that a thrid party can be forced into a civil debt.

You have posted fact and chosen an interpretation.

I disagree with that interpretation

There is no case law to back your argument

Also just because something is provided by ROYAL MAIL does not make it cast iron evidence. Nor can it be said to be impartial.

So after examining the legislation I can still not support your position. THE FACTS do not support it.

Point one there is no such thing any more as a Universal service provider since 2011

Point 2 is that the postal operator under licence is allowed to invoice this processing charge on behalf of HMRC.

ANd also your qutoe

"The Postal Services Act has now been amended as of 2011

In place of Universal Service Provider, "Postal Operator" has now been inserted"

SO point 2 is not really a point at all :)

No your opinion does not suport the referenced facts

The legislation itself cannot be in error as we have to comply with that legislation, and i use primary and delegated legislation, Not Stare decisis

That was my very last comment and i am signing off now as there is nothing left to be proved and you are entitled to your own opinion

Edited by obiter dictum

The primary legislation you referenced to was this

"(7)Any charge payable by virtue of this section may be recovered by the universal service provider concerned and in England and Wales and Northern Ireland may be so recovered as a civil debt due to him." which is from the link you referenced.

Clearly you cannot make any more comments as I have challenged your flawed interpretation of the primary legislation that you yourself referenced, which is not surprising as you yourself has said in the past that you have along history at a company that deals with post. Hardly a an unbiased position.

You may sleep now

Edited by SabreSheep
formatting

all the common carriers do this as they process the customs paperwork on your behalf and deliver the item before they make this charge. The alternative is that evrything sits in their bonded warehouse until the recipient pays up or if they refuse the goods go back to where they came from.

I have said before, people are entitled to do their own customs paperwork, I did with my business but it is not straightforward and you can be charged fees for holding the goods in the warehouse if you dont do them in a timely manner.

The real problem is that there are many stupid people in this world who are ignorant of the laws of their own countries and then bleat about things they should have known about after the event. I agree that DHL do themselves a slight disservice by actually delivering items without collecting the duties and their charges upfront but this does mean they are not buried in parcels. UPS collcet the money at the time of delivery and if you dont want to pay the £10-15 charges then they send the goods back. Buy stuff from the EU and you wont have this problem. No doubt the OP likes the idea of unregulated medicines being available at the click of a button but there is always a price to pay

Reforms introduced in 2011 and 2012 ensure that Royal Mail is the designated provider of the Universal Service until at least 2021 (10 years from the passing of the Postal Services Act 2011).

http://www.royalmailgroup.com/about-us/regulation/how-were-regulated/universal-service-obligation

Yes that is correct but other private carriers can now do postal services as an end to end suppler of those postal services under licence

That is why postal operator has now replaced universal service provider under he act

In a few years time we will be getting every tom dick or harry delivering our postal products

TNT/Whisti as an example

If you require clarity might i suggest referencing OfCom who are the regulator

But that particular point is "off topic" to the original question raised by the OP

Edited by obiter dictum

If anyone fancies suing DHL you will find they are a common carrier and have the same protections in law as RM. The railways used to be in the same boat but as they dont carry loose goods any more I am not sure if they still are. This is not the same as being a universal service provider which is about delivering everywhere for the same price under the same terms.

Yes that is correct but other private carriers can now do postal services as an end to end suppler of those postal services under licence

That is why postal operator has now replaced universal service provider under he act

In a few years time we will be getting every tom dick or harry delivering our postal products

TNT/Whisti as an example

If you require clarity might i suggest referencing OfCom who are the regulator

But that particular point is "off topic" to the original question raised by the OP

I thought you were leaving this thread. 3 times now?

Be aware that there are [problem] emails coming out claiming to be these delivery companies and they want money to redeliver a parcel, plus the customs fees etc....I've had a few lately even though I haven't ordered anything from abroad.

I did get money back from the Royal Mail who overcharged me VAT (I had a VAT exemption certificate at the time) and that took several months to happen. They had NO reason to charge the VAT as it was clearly stated on the parcel and accompanying invoice that it was a VAT exempt item coming from the USA - AND they overcharged me on the 'assumed price' of the item - which was an old needlework kit - costing 10 quid - they said it was 100 quid..

Had a call from DHL in response to my query. A pleasant gentleman reassured me that all carriers charge an admin fee, and he explained that the process of obtaining custom clearance was more involved than just pressing a few buttons on the computer. He agreed to waive the admin fee on this occasion (£8, which is currently £10). So I ended up paying the VAT amount.

Whilst I'm not convinced that, given the huge number of parcels they process, £10 is a fair charge. Neither am I sure about the legality of this under contract law as has been extensively debated on this and other threads.

I've decided to keep things simple for myself in future; either I will limit myself to ordering items costing no more than £15 (no VAT or admin fee payable), or I will factor in VAT and admin charge to the total cost to work out whether I'm saving money by importing.

A good result

As for "everybody does it", "All the banks sold PPI - Didnt make it right then either"

An industry standard does not decide legality :D