advice water bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi And thanks for reading this post.

I was looking for accommodation and a friend offered me the upper floor of his shop, the ground floor he is using as a chemist shop.

I moved in to the upper floor, fitted in a cooker, fridge, cupboards etc, and was told there would be no water bill as the chemist and the upper floor are on the same supply. I checked this with the stopcock in the cellar which when turned, cut off the supply to the chemist and upper floor simultaneously.

I very quickly received a water bill from yorkshire water and it was addresses to : " The Flat 11 South Street..." The chemist is 11 South Street.

A few months later a debt collector knocked on the door and demanded £600. I was not at home my mother answered the door and the debt collector frightened her with tales of returning and smashing the door down and taking everything inside. So she paid the bill which, i was not happy about as i do not believe i owe the money.

Can you please advise in anyway as what i should do.

Thank you. John.

oh dear fell for the oldest trick in the book.

how did she pay the fleecers?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

She paid in cash the debt collector did leave a receipt.

What should i do I honestly don't think i owe the money

Also the original bill that yorkshire water sent was addressed to John Bray, my name is John Brooke.

I did see a yorkshire water van pull up outside, just before all this started, and the neighbours told me the guy was asking about me and wanted to know my name

Thank you. John.

oh dear bet he ran as fast as he could with a great big smile on his face.

how much was the bill and how long had you lived there,

do you know who the debt collector was company names

and ofcourse has the money actually gone off the bill.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Have you seen a bill yet to see what period the payment you made relates to?

That way you can check if you are/were in occupation for the dates concerned.

In the event of a shared supply as you describe between a commercial premise and flat(s) above or indeed any shared supply all occupiers are deemed jointly and severally liable for the charges.

Would talk to your friend as suggested above as he has clearly not been making payments in relation to the water charges and Yorkshire Water have every right to chase you as joint occupant I'm afraid to say.

If you are still living there I would be contacting YW to provide the name of the occupant of the shop so he can be added to future bills or you alone will be billed solely while in occupation.

The other alternative is for the property owner to pay for the supply to be split and the each premise will get it's own bill.

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

The bill was £600. The debt collector was a company called Orbit.

I don't understand it. Yorkshire water sent a bill to the shop downstairs which was paid then sent me a bill for the upstairs. They did not split the bill between the two of us, the charged twice for the one water supply.

I did speak to the debt collector and he said the shop had its own water supply, and the upstairs had its own supply, but this is not true there is only one supply shared between the two floors as it is one building.

Thank you. John.

oh god not scotcall in sheeps clothing

if they had the debt you can 100% guarantee its bogus.

shame she got fleeced..

go ring Yorkshire water

and ask them to come prove the supply is not split

and then ask them if they have gotten the money from scotcall

I bet they say they know nothing about it

dx

and they

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of sending a letter, at least then i will have something on paper, do you think it is a good idea.

What are my rights

can they actually charge twice for the same supply.

It is one building with one water supply,

it's like sending someone a water bill,

then billing again for the upstairs bedroom and bathrooms

Thank you. John

If there is no water meter in situ then both properties would indeed receive separate bills based on the Rateable Value of the respective premises.

If there is only one meter serving both properties then no there should not be two bills unless each property has its own meter which you can check on yours and your friends bills (meter serial numbers will be different)

Your bill should state whether your charges are measured or based on Rateable Value so I would check this and come back to us.