Housing Benefit and ESA

tezzaa61
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently receive ESA. My mortgage lender has been granted possession of my home in 56 days time. I have been offered social accommodation by the council.

If I were to rent out my home before it's repossessed would I be able to claim Housing Benefit for the council accommodation, as well as the ESA I am currently receiving?

I have been on the turn2us.org.uk benefits calculator and input my details including the Equity I have in my home plus projected income from rental and the results show I will still be eligible for ESA and Housing Benefit.

Does that sound right?

Under what circumstances could you, or should you, rent out a home that's about to be repossessed? I'm no expert in landlord/tenant law but I can see all sorts of problems arising there.

As a general rule, you cannot claim HB if you own a home.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Under what circumstances could you, or should you, rent out a home that's about to be repossessed? I'm no expert in landlord/tenant law but I can see all sorts of problems arising there.

As a general rule, you cannot claim HB if you own a home.

I'll be checking with my lender whether they will allow me to rent out the property.

I'll be checking with my lender whether they will allow me to rent out the property.
They may insist that the tenant pays them by dd each week/month they may also want to do a credit check on them also , but most likely they will say no

If they did say yes housing benefit may see the rent as income too

Also why should the council give someone who has their own home social housing ,? not only this but give them any priority over others that are already in the que ? once the house has been repossessed and if you have children under a certain age, then the council will give you emergency accommodation, (not usually social housing) unless they feel that you have made yourself homeless

it's similar to immigrants who come here being allowed to jump the que, we have our own homeless some who have waited months

They may insist that the tenant pays them by dd each week/month they may also want to do a credit check on them also , but most likely they will say no

If they did say yes housing benefit may see the rent as income too

Also why should the council give someone who has their own home social housing ,? not only this but give them any priority over others that are already in the que ? once the house has been repossessed and if you have children under a certain age, then the council will give you emergency accommodation, (not usually social housing) unless they feel that you have made yourself homeless

it's similar to immigrants who come here being allowed to jump the que, we have our own homeless some who have waited months

I've been offered social housing because of my medical condition and because my home is being re-possessed.