Holiday pay asked to be repaid by employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My employer has now informed me that they believe I'm self employed and are wishing me to repay statutory holiday pay which I have recieved over the past 12 months.

They have deducted tax and Ni but are relying on a ruling from the ET that persons carrying out similar roles are self employed. I was issued with a casual worker contract. Can they claim this holiday pay back?

Thank you

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I expect the employment guys will be along later, so this is just my personal thought, but I understood that your employer decided at the outset whether you were employed or not, rather than you.

Can you tell us a bit more about how this came about please? What does your contract say about holiday pay?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

If they deduct tax and NI I'd say you are an employee. This link may help.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/employee

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

You were issued a casual worker contract, Id say thats a contract of employment. They cannot just change their mind 12 months down the line.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Honeybee's question is important - what does your contract say? Even if it is true that you are self-employed for employment law and/or tax law purposes that doesn't mean an employer is prohibited from paying you holiday pay, only that you have no automatic entitlement to holiday pay. If it ws in the contract I doubt they can ask for it back. They could change it for the future. In theory only with your agreement but as you've only been employed for 12 months there isn't much you could do to stop them.

Deducting tax and NI normally suggests employment not self-employment unless you are in the construction industry.

Talk to your union if you are in one, or to Citizen's Advice.

When you say "a ruling from the ET that persons carrying out similar roles are self employed" was that a ruling about people at your workplace? Or was it a decision about some other company altogether?

Thank you all for your help, I checked and holiday pay was in my contract so I feel more confident in that they cannot ask for it back.

Thanks again

Just remind them of it and let us know how it goes.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.