• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclaycard reclaiming penalties and Compound Int't **WON** (probably)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2623 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So yes you must complete standard disclosure by 16th...not the bundle that's nearer the trial date.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also have you not been told to submit and exchange witness statements...that's also usual at standard disclosure and becomes part of your disclosure.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hearing Fee paid

:???: Who mentioned hearing fee...I thought we was confirming bundles and disclosure?

What is standard disclosure?

And what would be witness statements?

The following is standard disclosure.

The court letter states:

"Each party must deliver to every other party and to the court office copies of all documents on which that party intends to rely at the hearing, no later than 4pm on Thurs 16th June"

Further down your directions list it usually states submit a statement of case (witness statement )

Probably easier if you just upload your Notice of Allocation.

Attached General Form of Judgment or Order.

Details covered.

The hearing is not for 6 months.

The hearing fee was paid this week.

I emailed Barc Sols rejecting their offer.

Now I need - by Tuesday - to present the documents that the Court requests in this Order.

I am just not quite sure how much I need to elaborate now....

I am working this w/e so will probably have to burn the midnight oil if there is tons of research and writing to do...

Attached NOA

details deleted

I am just trying to get on top of all the items I need to collate for my court bundle.

First I need to present a statement of all the evidence I will rely on at the scheduled hearing at the end of this year.

Is this a simple 1-10 pointer of all the things I will elaborate on at the hearing? Is it almost a repeat of the POC? Or do I have to elaborate more?

I am working through the items I need to find and print out. One of these is the OFT summary. I have been trying to find the correct OFT Summary!! Is it the summary of the case vs Abbey National that I need to print? And research?

If so, is there a good summary lurking somewhere. I have tried clicking on a couple links and they don't work.

One thing I need to be very clear in my head is - why do we all call these charges unfair penalty charges whereas the bank calls them late payment fees? I think I understand this is the crux of my argument

Am working on this today AM so may have other questions coming up....

If for example I wish to present the OFT summary in my (end of year) hearing bundle, do I just have to refer to it now in my letter to the court this week ???

Writing something along the lines of: I will be relying on the evidence contained within this document - the OFT summary of x case, dated xx....etc....

Have copied every bank statement which included penalty charges. Lots of work!!

Barclays Gen Form Judgment or Order-May2016.PDF

Barclays NOA - June 2016.PDF

Yeah your getting there now mum.

Witness statement

Sempra

Kleinwort

Oft 2006

soc

Any other docs you reference in your witness statement which you annex as part of your bundle

So for eg:

The charges scheduled in the claimants SoC and annexed as pg 21-23

You get the idea?

(Pg ref for example only)

Good idea to point out the relevant parts of the documents you will be relying on

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Should I update the SOC to current amount?

Or leave it at the value it was?

Since I started the claim the interest has added like £300.

Or should I not do that until 2 wks before the hearing? which is at the end of the year

Just to confirm is it the Abbey OFT summary I need to print?

Hi Mum,

You don't need to print the Abbey case summary. It's the summary from The OFT that should be linked in the Bundle doc't I sent you. If you can't access it, let us know and we'll help.

Stick to the SoC submitted with the claim. From then on Stat'y Int't of 8% applies at the daily rate you showed on the N1 Claim form.

;-)

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick

I can't access it - the link is broken. The computer gives a message saying it has moved.

So if you could point me in a different direction that would be great. Thanks.

Since I filed my claim Barc has added another 4 penalty charges. Should I mention this in my bundle?

Hi Mum,

Re the more recently-added penalty chgs, you can negotiate about this with BC as part of the settlement. They may agree to refund these to save you taking further court action.

Send me your email address by PM and I'll send you the OFT article that is in the court bundle.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

HI

Can I have some advice please. The wording on the Order above says: " Each party must deliver to every other party and to the court copies of all docs on which that party intends to rely at the hearing.....by Thurs 16th"

I am confused with exactly how much work I need to do today/tomorrow....

Does this mean I need to send my complete bundle of evidence NOW?

a) = an updated schedule of charges as of today

b) = all account statements showing where the charges have been taken and how much

c) = my statement of evidence (need help on this)

d) = Law cases and statutes - listing all those within the court bundle (in detail or just summaries?????)

You need 3 copies of your bundle, 1 for court, 1 for other sides sols and 1 for you

A) the SoC can stay the same as the date on the n1 and you will be claiming s69 after that date to whenever its settled

B)Afaik u dont need acc statements, just the SoC

C)witness statement is an expanded PoC detailing everything

D)Yes but highlight the relevant parts of the statutes and refernce them in your WS where necessary

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

I have been reading other threads.

I have read Gary H and Peter Rabbit v Barc.

In these threads there are 2 templates of "Statement of Evidence"

Do I adapt one of these templates to cover late payment charge and send this in NOW?

I am worried.

The hearing is not until the end of 2016.

So do I need to prepare copies of every piece of evidence (the bundle) NOW?

I thought I just needed to tell them the bare bones of what I will be relying on. Not the full apx 100-200 page bundle (x3 copies) now....

I am desperately trying to collate info this AM. But I am going to run out of time if I need to prepare a whole bundle of docs by end of tomorrow

I now have the OFT summary.

It is a large doc - calculating fair default charges in credit card contracts. But Barc sent it to me as part of their defence. Should I copy it and include it as part of my evidence too?

TBH - I have NO idea what I am doing today. I am reading and re-reading and writing & re-writing and trying to make sense of the stage I am at today - and I must be completely stupid as I still can not work out what I am supposed to file by Thursday. A summary or my bundle or the complete huge bundle.

The Order specifically says "each party must deliver... copies of all documents on which that party intends to rely at the hearing...."

Does this mean my FULL bundle of evidence ???

Can someone please advise. I just do not get it.

I am very slow at the moment, overwhelmed by papers and other people's threads, and not enough time to prepare a FULL bundle today.

I feel like giving up now if I am supposed to prepare a bundle today.

I think you need to get the word " bundle " out of your head then you will see far more clearly...bundles are for nearer the trial date as stated in your Notice of Allocation.

This part of the process is Standard Disclosure...you can list your standard disclosure on the N265 and then attach anything you will be relying on or referring to as part of your evidence.

So there cant be that much to prepare ...statements ...letters of disputes.....and the OFT summary (the parts you will rely on not the full schedule)

Andy

OH

This is the first time anyone has mentioned a N265 form

I had no idea that there was a special form for this stage.

I will have a look now and download.

I have an on-going case with another credit card and they have missed this stage - I have to go straight to hearing (with full bundles) next month

N265 looks very complicated.

I have no idea how to fill it in.

Then don't use it ...just create your own cover note index and list the documents disclosed

Sorry - I have had such a BAD day.

So: Do I have to fill in a N265?

Or can I just write my witness statement and include references to all docs I intend to bring to court? or show the exact docs?)

If I fill in the N265 can I add extra sheets?

Re N265

There are several boxes to fill in:

I did not search for docs predating? located elsewhere than ? in categories other than? for electronic docs? DO I FILL IN ANY OF THESE?

I carried out a search of electronic docs contained on or created by the following (listing what was searched and extent of search):

DO I FILL IN HERE:

- S.32 of Limitation Act 1980, with particular reference to Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City with regards to claims beyond 6y

- Sempra Metals Ltd v Commissioners for Inland Revenue (07),with regards claiming Interest in Restitution

- Lord Elphinstone v Monkland Iron & Coal Co (1886)

- Wilson v Love (1896)

- Castaneda & Others v Clydebank Engineering & Shipbuilding Co ltd (1904)

- Commissioner of Public Works v Hills (1906)

- Campbell Discount Co Ltd v Bridge (1962)

- Philips v The Attorney General of HK (1993)

- Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage & Motor Co Ltd (1915)

- Murray v Leisureplay (2004)

- 1st Commercial Bank & Others v The Owners of "Mandarin Container", "Kingdom Container"

- Alfred McAlpine Capital Projects Ltd v Tilebox Ltd

- Early Day Motion 2227, entitled Default Banking Charges, dated 22-05-2006

- OFT press release dated 05-04-2006, entitled "Current Credit Card Default Charges Unfair"

- The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999

- Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977

- Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982

- Australian default charges report – Nicole Rich - A summary

- BBC News – The Money Programme bank commission

- Transcript of radio interview with Peter McNamara, former head of personal banking, Lloyds TSB, 2004

Then under the section "I have control of the docs numbered and listed here. I do not object to you inspecting them/producing copies:

HERE DO I LIST THESE DOCS:

- my Schedule of Charges, date of Claim

- my Simple Interest of 8% Calculation from date of claim to current date

- my bank statements showing each penalty charge applied to the account

- All pre-litigation correspondence between the parties

- and a separate Statement of Evidence

I will paste the draft I have worked on all day below

I only had today to draft my witness statement and pull together all the relevant docs, statements etc.

I have attached a draft - is this too much? not enough? incorrect? needs work? (I have not put much in about KB or Sempra - do I need to add more?)

I am really not sure if I need to attach all the docs I have written / printed OR just to refer to them???

The Court Order seemed to be specifically inferring that I need to attach all documents or my evidence may not be taken into account at the hearing later this year.

Advice??

I can spend max another 1-2h on it.

Then I need to post it or email it

am exhausted. Have been working all day

Morning :-)

I am about to edit / rework what I did yesterday. I have a couple hours available.

First question: Can I email? or do I have to post?

If can email - I have another day to play with. Otherwise I had better post today to ensure it reaches court in time.

So - does anyone have any advice / support for what I have worked on???

Would really appreciate some input at this 11th hour of filing witness statement and evidence.

The main thing is, for example, do I attach the whole UTCCR now - or just refer to it and then take the whole report to the hearing...???

BARC witness statement edited.pdf

Morning :-)

I am about to edit / rework what I did yesterday. I have a couple hours available.

First question: Can I email? or do I have to post? Possibly to the defendant if they accept electronic submission..you will have to post the Courts.

If can email - I have another day to play with. Otherwise I had better post today to ensure it reaches court in time.

So - does anyone have any advice / support for what I have worked on??? Its okay ..there is no right or wrong...its simply evidence in support of your claim

Would really appreciate some input at this 11th hour of filing witness statement and evidence.

The main thing is, for example, do I attach the whole UTCCR now - or just refer to it and then take the whole report to the hearing...???

Just refer to it then include it in your trial bundle.

Andy

And do I need to copy every bank statement NOW? or just refer to them.

anyone?

Thanks Andy for the above input....

Just need to know about statements now.

Am editing now.

I have actually just received the Defence!!

Have you not done a spread sheet re the unfair charges ...I would attach that.

Pity you didn't have the defence before drafting the WS.

Andy

I have the defence in hand and am kind of editing around that!!

I did a Spreadsheet of the penalty charges yes, with CI.

And have created another spreadsheet for the simple interest of 8% since filing my claim. I can do that can't I?

they have picked flaws with my basis for claiming restitution and with claiming beyond 6y.

I am just trying to write 2 great paras to justify these 2 claims.

I know it is Sempra & KB - but I need to articulate these really well, and in a way I didn't in my POC.

That is pretty much the last thing I have to do now - before making copies and running to the Post Office

Yes use the spread sheets ...you can use the actual statements in your bundle later on.

Is there a good thread with a great paragraph on how and why I can claim CI??

They are saying I have not elaborated on how and why I can. It is not enough - they say - to just say I will rely on Sempra.

Same for claims beyond 6y - is there a good thread with a great para I can edit on why statute of limitations does not apply.

I have info on KB but am struggling to write a brief articulate paragraph

Good to know I don't have to copy tons of card statements !!

ALSO -

How do I explain why I am entitled to 8% interest subsequent to filing my claim?