Greece & ISIS - next few weeks looking dodgy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed Capitalism as we know it is undergoing some difficult times,

All this printed and digital money that the elite hold as others debts is about to disappear as more and more default. The poor will suffer first

but then the elite will too

Im just glad we did nto join the single currency and I too shall be buying some gold to hold onto :D

The current version of capitalism has failed for a number of reasons.

1) over £30 trillion held in tax havens

2) business and wealthy offshoring their income to cheaper tax authorities

3) wealth too concentrated

4) asset values based on previous irresponsible lending by banks, not on current incomes

5) greed and lack of government actions to try to control some of it.

6) world resources are gradually diminishing, value increases as less supply, meaning fewer can afford.

This is why I am left of centre politically and I think the country made a massive mistake at the election. I am in favour of market interventions, taxing wealth and trying to look after the many, not the few. If we don't start to tackle some of the issues, we will end up with most people never owning their own homes and living on incomes that are only just adequate to live on. The UK is a wealthy country and should have the capability to build affordable housing for people to buy, so they have the option, rather than rent. UK government can currently borrow at an historic low, but I see no government response in equipping the country with the infrastructure it needs.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

http://www.historytoday.com/matthew-lynn/greek-economics-drachmas-debt-and-Dionysius

And the Greeks? Like the rest of the financial and political elite in southern Europe, they believed the euro would be a catalyst for modernisation. Replacing the drachma with a new currency would, they argued, be a transformative act which, in a single step, would turn Greece into a vibrant, free-market economy. But in that respect, as in so many others, the euro was simply not up to the job. Dionysius couldn’t make Syracuse richer by re-stamping the coins. And the European Central Bank couldn’t change the course of a few hundred years of Greek history by enforcing a one size fits all monetary policy. That simple truth is now catching up with all of them. -

The poor economic record of Greece goes back a very long way, says Matthew Lynn.

- See more at: http://www.historytoday.com/matthew-lynn/greek-economics-drachmas-debt-and-dionysius#sthash.PF2m2c9K.dpuf

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

BCOBS

So, despite discovering that Greece had in effect been, telling fibs about it's financial position, Europe continued to chuck money at it ?

How did Greece get to this point?

Greece became the epicentre of Europe’s debt crisis after Wall Street imploded in 2008. With global financial markets still reeling, Greece announced in October 2009 that it had been understating its deficit figures for years raising alarms about the soundness of Greek finances.

Suddenly, Greece was shut out from borrowing in the financial markets. By the spring of 2010, it was veering toward bankruptcy, which threatened to set off a new financial crisis.

To avert calamity, the so-called troika — the International Monetary Fund, the European Central Bank and the European Commission — issued the first of two international bailouts for Greece, which would eventually total more than 240 billion euros, or about $264 billion at today’s exchange rates.

The bailouts came with conditions. Lenders imposed harsh austerity terms, requiring deep budget cuts and steep tax increases. They also required Greece to overhaul its economy by streamlining the government, ending tax evasion and making Greece an easier place to do business.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/business/international/greece-debt-crisis-euro.html?_r=0

BCOBS

I am guessing that Greece wont be asked to take any of the migrants that are currently flooding into Europe !

BCOBS

Where would Greece be if it had not joined the EU?

South of Macedonia, East of Italy and West of Turkey probably.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

South of Macedonia, East of Italy and West of Turkey probably.

moving north by north east, to russia :)

There's so much inbalance in the world with the haves and have nots. That's the fundamental problem for governments to solve. It causes war and backlash. We all know the answer, help countries to rebuild their economies, there needs to be much more cohesion and basically helping each other in this big world of ours. It was uplifting to hear about the crowdfunding being organised for Greece.

It's a step towards bringing people together and working to find more solutions.

So Greece defaults on the IMF loan, because the EU would not assist them further. I thought the EU was a club where they worked together for the good of all countries. Surely more damage by letting them default. Greece needs a long term plan, as they cannot afford the current level of repayments.

If it's such a happy club, why are they being charged such massive amounts of interest, Wonga has nothing on the IMF. Europe is not helping Greece one little bit.

Where would Greece be if it had not joined the EU?

Probably sitting on their beaches enjoying themselves.

If it's such a happy club, why are they being charged such massive amounts of interest, Wonga has nothing on the IMF. Europe is not helping Greece one little bit.

Probably sitting on their beaches enjoying themselves.

Exactly, their joining the EU did nothing for the people or their economic standing. The Greek Government would have had to sort their problems themselves.

Exactly, their joining the EU did nothing for the people or their economic standing. The Greek Government would have had to sort their problems themselves.

But Greece has borrowed about 330 billion Euros if my memory serves me correct. I don't think they would have had this money if they were not part of the EU and did not have the Euro.

It is a question of whether they have been lent too much money or the repayments terms are impossible. The IMF has already said that Greece needs longer to pay, so they have a chance.

My instinct tells me that the current version of capitalism is broken and needs re-engineering. Since the 1980's far too much money was created and far too much risk was being taken. The investment banks have been far too clever in trying to make money and some of what they have done has been found to be illegal e.g market fixing.

Until all the world powers get together to address the worlds financial system, then some countries are going to have difficulty. Some of the very wealthy people in countries like Greece moved their money to tax havens a long time ago. They don't live in Greece. They live in London or Surrey or Monaco.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

But Greece has borrowed about 330 billion Euros if my memory serves me correct. I don't think they would have had this money if they were not part of the EU and did not have the Euro.

And look at the massive amounts of interest added on and the payments, they can barely keep up with servicing the interest let alone the debt while Germany sits back and gloats revelling in the power it holds over another country.

And look at the massive amounts of interest added on and the payments, they can barely keep up with servicing the interest let alone the debt while Germany sits back and gloats revelling in the power it holds over another country.

Yes 3.6% interest, when apparently it would only be 0.9% to cover their costs of lending the money.

What is the referendum actually about ?

Whether the Greek people are prepared to accept the bail out terms that have been put on the table by Europe and the IMF. However, from what I understand, the deadline for accepting that deal has long since passed !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11713603/Just-what-exactly-are-the-Greeks-voting-on-this-weekend.html

BCOBS

Whether the Greek people are prepared to accept the bail out terms that have been put on the table by Europe and the IMF. However, from what I understand, the deadline for accepting that deal has long since passed !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11713603/Just-what-exactly-are-the-Greeks-voting-on-this-weekend.html

If they vote yes, they get more money ? and then they default again ? Then what ?

If they vote yes, they get more money ? and then they default again ? Then what ?

It seems to be a way of life of the Greek government.. it would appear their economy wasn't as sound as required by the EU when first joining and ever since have been borrowing money to pay off previous debts without ever having a forward plan - when the global economy went belly up they were in a very vulnerable position. When they got caught out at the last loan and were told they needed to sort themselves out.. they threw a wobbly and voted in this guy who thinks he can blackmail Europe in to writing off their debts so they can come off the austerity programme that the rest of us have been dealing with these last 8 years or so ?

BCOBS

Why don't Greece SAR their creditors. Only cost a tenner you know..

and then do them for irresponsible lending, get the debt wiped :)