HSBC new term and conds allow them to change a/c

tobyjugg2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3235 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

"We've added the right for us to upgrade a Bank Account to either a HSBC Premier Bank Account or an HSBC Advance Bank Account if you meet the eligibility criteria. "

HSBC sent me their latest - we are changing your terms and conditions mess and I spotted that they are stating that they now claim the right to change you bank account type (without your request or acceptance) if you meet the requirements for some other bank account type.

It seems they want to start moving people from simple free bank accounts to what could be charged accounts (premier etc) if you happen to meet the requirements set to allow that account.

Now you could meet those requirements for a few months, they change you too that account, then your circumstances change (eg less than the minimum required transfer in each month) and you will then be in a monthly charge account without ever agreeing or requesting that change.

In the details they do say that they MAY notify you if they have your correct contact information, but would appear to be attempting to avoid any obligation to have confirmed you have been notified, let alone agree and they require you to ask not to have your account changed - difficult if you don't get the notification or they choose not to let you know..

It seems rather insideus at the moment, and what is the next change to T&C building on getting away with this?

"

Bank Account terms and conditions

1. We may give you thirty days' notice that you meet the eligibility criteria for, and we're going to convert your account to either our HSBC Premier Bank Account or HSBC Advance Bank Account.

You can ask us not to convert your account if you want to keep your existing one.

2. If your Bank Account is closed or converted to another account type, we'll remove all the Bank Account benefits on the date of closure.

"

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

"You can ask us not to convert your account if you want to keep your existing one."

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

"You can ask us not to convert your account if you want to keep your existing one."

"and they require you to ask not to have your account changed - difficult if you don't get the notification or they choose not to let you know.."

1. We may give you thirty days' notice that you meet the eligibility criteria for, and we're going to convert your account to either our HSBC Premier Bank Account or HSBC Advance Bank Account.

NOT we WILL

Anyway, do you REALLY want a bank to be able to change your bank account, and hence your agreements with them, without your agreeing, and potentially without even a requirement for them to let you know?

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

This is not acceptable and I'm sure that is an unfair term and also contrary to BCOBS.

I would suggest that you treat yourself by beginning a formal complaint and tell them you want it referred to the ombudsman.

In the meantime I'm flagging this up to BBC Moneybox

Now I've thought about it a little more, the

"2. If your Bank Account is closed or converted to another account type, we'll remove all the Bank Account benefits on the date of closure."

seems to be a window for them to get rid of older accounts with better T&C/ rates without asking too.

The MAY notify is perhaps up for interpretation, but that they will do this without positive agreement is still setting what seems dangerous and very undesirable precedent to me

The Tory Legacy

• 3 months later...

and it would seem HSBC are doing it without any notice other than the updated T&C

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?444751-Bank-account-changed-to-Advance-account-without-my-knowledge

The Tory Legacy