BT Landline problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3479 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I can see the problem.

The cable comes from a telegraph pole to a black box high up on my house wall

and then a cable comes out, down my house wall and into the house.

The cover has come off the black box and there are wires hanging down and exposed

- the ones which come out of the box to come into the house.

BT are saying there's no problem with the line and therefore it will cost me £130 to send an engineer.

Does anyone know where their responsibility for the line into my house starts/stops?

If it's where the cable from the telegraph pole goes into that black box then it is my problem

and I'll get a private contractor at a lot less than BT want to charge.

If the black box is theirs and it's failed then would it be up to them?

Hi hightail

To be honest, whether it is 'chargeable' or not, whether it is their responsibility or not, they have the resources to fix the problem, I doubt it will take more then a few minutes.

Give them a ring and report back, then you can write to the CEO.

You don't even need to go into costs with them. Your being vigilante on their part.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40912/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDE0NDExMTI0L3NpZC9rUDN1UVY1bQ%3D%3D

It is within my boundary.

It's the black box on the wall of my house and it isn't the 'in' cable from the telegraph pole.

It's the 'out' cable which leads into my house which has come loose.

BT are just hell bent on doing their home checks and assuring me there's no fault on my line.

I need it fixed and I'll get someone in to do it if I can because I'm going to be without a line at all soon as the wind pulls at the cable.

Does anyone know if it's OK for a private contractor to replace the black box where the phone line comes to the house?

If it's your responsibliy as it's in your own boundary, then I can't see any issues. Especially as they want to charge you £130 for the job with unwarranted checks.

It is within my boundary. It's the black box on the wall of my house and it isn't the 'in' cable from the telegraph pole. It's the 'out' cable which leads into my house which has come loose. BT are just hell bent on doing their home checks and assuring me there's no fault on my line. I need it fixed and I'll get someone in to do it if I can because I'm going to be without a line at all soon as the wind pulls at the cable. Does anyone know if it's OK for a private contractor to replace the black box where the phone line comes to the house?

Your responsibility starts from the main box, first, box inside your home.

You can't allow a contractor to do anything to it as it belongs to BT.

Is there a fault with the service besides the junction box ?

correct

I've had the same twice now

you are only responsible from [inc] your internal master socket

get onto BT

why not send them a photo

that's what I did

it was sorted in 3 hrs.

always windy here

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Did they charge you?

correct

I've had the same twice now

you are only responsible from [inc] your internal master socket

get onto BT

that's what I did

it was sorted in 3 hrs.

always windy here

Because the line is working they want charge him £130, it's a case of replacing the cover and making sure the wires are secure.

If the wind blows the wires away from the box, then they will do it free of charge.

This is typical BT.

ah its working sri didn't get that bit

mine goes regularly

preventive maintenance surely?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

OK, from the inside.

They can see no fault with your line, so nothing to repair. However, if you report that the box is liable to fall and 'damage your property', then a report goes through as that is a different matter and Openreach will be out to fix it. :)

Edited by Conniff

Hi hightail

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what has happened (wind effecting phoneline - junction box loose), how they have let you down (your a long term customer, they are happy to wait for the wires to come away before they carry out a free of charge repair - it will cause you inconveinance) and what you want them to do (fix it a.s.a.p).

p.s. you could add as Conniff suggests risk to your property. And if that happens you will bill them for the damage.

Health & Safety, a flying projectile.

Send it to:-

Mr Gavin Patterson

Chief Executive

BT Group

[email protected]

get onto BT

that's what I did

Where did you send it please? I've been pleading with them to let me do just that and I can't work out how to attach one to their contact email form.

Thanks for that. I'll be lying as I don't believe the box is about to fall but if that's what it takes that's what I'll have to do. It's either that or wait for it to disconnect completely, one more windy night would do it.

As soon as it's fixed it will be bye bye BT. This morning's experience has opened my eyes.

As soon as it's fixed it will be bye bye BT. This morning's experience has opened my eyes.

Who do you think owns the lines if you go to any other than Virgin, BT.

If it's bye bye, then why bother to have it fixed, just get a new supplier.

Who do you think owns the lines if you go to any other than Virgin, BT.

I understand that Conniff. What I hadn't realised up to today was BT's determination to ensure customers never get to speak to someone. I was perfectly happy to employ a private contractor if it was my responsibility. What I couldn't find out without asking on this forum was whether I should do so. Apparently I shouldn't and there are a couple of options - either lie or wait for the inevitable complete failure. That's fine, I accept that and I'm very grateful for the help on here. What I'm not happy about is that I had to come on this forum to find the answers.