Attacker broke glasses. Got away with a police caution. How do you make them pay to repair glasses?

mfpa
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

My wife's glasses were ripped off her face and broken, in an unprovoked attack.

The police say the attacker admitted it, but has been given a caution.

How does my wife go about getting compensation from the attacker so that she can pay for replacement glasses?

Halifax (current accounts, credit card, old mortgage, secured loan)

thread here

MBNA (three credit cards)

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

they've sold my current account. thread here.

Royal Mail

Claim issued by former employer Royal Mail, thread here.

I counterclaimed and won. They paid in full.

Thanks, Mike.

No she has zero income but is not entitled to benefits.

thread here

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

Royal Mail

(if defended)

I wonder what reasonable defence there could be, given that the attacker admitted the assault and breaking the glasses, and accepted a police caution.

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

No way of knowing unless you file a claim, I've witnessed numerous admissions which bear no relation to the allegation. Just numbers to the police so its probably sensible to ensure the caution is/was accurate at the time of admission.

its probably sensible to ensure the caution is/was accurate at the time of admission.
How? I don't suppose the police would supply a copy: they won't even give you a copy of your own statement. Edited by mfpa
typo

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

I doubt it too, you may have better luck making a request at the expiration of the 3 month judicial review period but to be frank its a tad unlikely you'd be provided with any disclosures absent a court order.

How much would the claim be?

Would this be covered by your home insurance ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Of course you can issue a court claim. Nobody should be at a loss due to someone else's negligence, and no body should be at a loss when they have been the victim of a crime.

Don't get me started with the criminal justice system in this country, a caution for an unprovoked attack is just typical of the justice system nowadays.

How much are you looking to claim? Try and keep the claim as small as possible to keep costs down, but as long as you're keeping it at let's say around £200, then you'll only have to pay to issue a claim (£25? Via MCOL), in which you'll get back once you have a judgement in your favour.

I can't imagine after admitting the unprovoked attack to the police that the defendant would be able to produce a defence, they broke the glasses through a deliberate and aggressive act, and should be made to reimburse any costs.

Good luck.

Would this be covered by your home insurance ?
No, only have buildings insurance arranged by the residents' management company.

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

Were you not asked if you wanted to press a charge of assault and criminal damage against him ?

We were not asked at all. Police left an answerphone message the following afternoon saying how they had proceded in the morning after interviewing the attacker.

You can price up replacements and then make a civil claim against him for that amount.

That is an option I am considering. It is the frame, not the lenses that got broken.

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

How much are you looking to claim? Try and keep the claim as small as possible to keep costs down, but as long as you're keeping it at let's say around £200, then you'll only have to pay to issue a claim (£25? Via MCOL), in which you'll get back once you have a judgement in your favour.

Isn't there also an allocation fee or a hearing fee?

I can't imagine after admitting the unprovoked attack to the police that the defendant would be able to produce a defence, they broke the glasses through a deliberate and aggressive act, and should be made to reimburse any costs.

There are some devious ***s about; you can never be too sure.

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

I doubt it too, you may have better luck making a request at the expiration of the 3 month judicial review period but to be frank its a tad unlikely you'd be provided with any disclosures absent a court order.

3 month judicial review period? I read about police cautions from several sources, and none of them mentioned such a thing.

How much would the claim be?

Maybe £120 - £150. Not sure yet about repair/replacement cost. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but more than a month's "disposable" income.

Edited by mfpa
spelling

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

To make a "Civil" claim you will need "his" home address.

Do you have that ????

Try writing a letter to the Chief Constable for your area, and put your case to him.

That worked for me 30 years ago !!

As msh1991 post 11 pointed out. .... "(don't get me started)".

Times have changed. .... For the worse.

Without knowing the details of the charge I made an assumption it was a summary offence.

I guess you have to weigh up your costs and time against the outcome you want. For a claim of that value the application/ filing fee is £25.00, if it were defended the allocation fee for trial would add a further £25.00. Assuming you went through the correct process of pre action demand etc.. that would add to your time in compiling a letter, postage, consumables. If it went to trial its another day of your time for the hearing plus compiling witness evidence and service costs of copies...

Assuming you won your case but the other side has no income, you could enforce the order (more expense) but if he has no money or goods to the value of you're unlikely to see a penny.

I don't want to put you off but then again I don't want to encourage you to claim without considering its effect on you and your finances.

If you can get hold of his details perhaps a strongly worded demand for payment would bring a result but I'd be inclined to think long and hard before filing a claim, no matter how unfair that may seem.

To make a "Civil" claim you will need "his" home address.

Do you have that ????

No, just the area. But in a "small town" it is not hard to find somebody, especially somebody who upsets a lot of people.

Try writing a letter to the Chief Constable for your area, and put your case to him.

That worked for me 30 years ago !!

Interesting idea, I never thought of that. I wouldn't be holding my breath for a useful response, but it is a small investment of time and money.

Times have changed. .... For the worse.

They have, in lots of ways.

Without knowing the details of the charge I made an assumption it was a summary offence.

I guess you have to weigh up your costs and time against the outcome you want. For a claim of that value the application/ filing fee is £25.00, if it were defended the allocation fee for trial would add a further £25.00. Assuming you went through the correct process of pre action demand etc.. that would add to your time in compiling a letter, postage, consumables. If it went to trial its another day of your time for the hearing plus compiling witness evidence and service costs of copies...

Yes, it's difficult to justify the expenditure and effort in the face of uncertain return.

Assuming you won your case but the other side has no income, you could enforce the order (more expense) but if he has no money or goods to the value of you're unlikely to see a penny.

They have a job and a car, and always seem to be splashing the cash when out in town. But they are also the sort to not comply just to be awkward.

I don't want to put you off but then again I don't want to encourage you to claim without considering its effect on you and your finances.

If you can get hold of his details perhaps a strongly worded demand for payment would bring a result but I'd be inclined to think long and hard before filing a claim, no matter how unfair that may seem.

I would need an audit trail showing I had asked them to pay before bringing a claim, anyway. I wondered whether it is better coming from me.my wife, or whether local solicitor's free half-hour sessions still include a letter.

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail