ESA and other persons in the household on benefits

essexmat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I am in a state of panic and hope you can all help. I recently started on ESA and when I done the form I obviously had to let DWP know about other people I live with. In my case it is my parents who get housing benefit as I do (50% of rent and I get the other 50%), pension and pension credit and DLA(both elements) at higher rate for Father and middle for Mother (including carers allowance)

My Father now says, although I have heard nothing, that as I let them know about his income from benefits he could now get a cut in benefits as I informed them I am on ESA instead of JSA.

Surely as the rate is still £72.40pw their benefits are not even called in to question as this is my money to live off and the same as JSA? He is worried that DWP will say he is getting enough to support me from his money!

Surely although living in the same property I am a separate entity on my own as in ESA payments and my 50% of housing benefit and nothing should change at all?

Am I worrying over nothing?

You're worrying over nothing, as is your Dad.

He will not be expected to support you from his own benefits, and since you claim HB in your own right (rather than living with your parents as part of their household) then there should be no issue with non-dependent charges on HB or CTR.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

You're worrying over nothing, as is your Dad.

He will not be expected to support you from his own benefits, and since you claim HB in your own right (rather than living with your parents as part of their household) then there should be no issue with non-dependent charges on HB or CTR.

Thanks. To clarify we live in a 2 bed place.

50% of HB is paid to me for my room

50% of HB is paid to my Father for himself and my Mother for their room

Both elements cover the full rent - I still pay a nominal sum of £6.60p/m for CT (this is after pensioner/disabled discounts)

My Father gets Pension and Pension credit and DLA (C+M) high rate

My Mother gets Pension and middle rate DLA plus carers for my Father

So, I presume even though we are in the same household their benefits are NOTHING to do with mine? I noticed on the form I had to declare amounts they received and to be honest I am worried that as my parents between them with HB, Pension, CA, DLA etc get around £2,500p/m DWP will think my parents can support me. Surely I can still claim my 50% HB safely and ESA with no problem?

As Antone explained.

As long as you are joint tenants, your circs wont affect their benefits and their circs wont affect yours.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Ah great thank you, and yes, we are joint tenants. Our tenancy agreement has all of our signatures on it which is why my councilwhen I applied for HB were very helpful as I got more than I thought (thought I could only claim shared rate) but they said as it is 2 bedrooms and you are a joint tenant you are entitled to 50% of the money for the rent. Our rent is £725.00p/m and each month my Father gets £362.50 as do I. He pays the rent by DD and I just give him the cash via bank transfer when paid as a monthly standing order.

To clarify, in this case my parents benefits no matter how high does not affect anything with my ESA and HB and will not affect their benefits at all? I only ask as on the ESA form then why does it ask about other people in the household and their income?

Thanks, of course they are not supporting me as my HB pays my share of the rent and my ESA (was JSA) is my amount for weekly living costs so no support at all apart from obviously meals my parents cook but nothing financially. I just wanted to ensure their as well as my benefits were safe

Thanks, of course they are not supporting me as my HB pays my share of the rent and my ESA (was JSA) is my amount for weekly living costs so no support at all apart from obviously meals my parents cook but nothing financially. I just wanted to ensure their as well as my benefits were safe

Yeah, it should be fine. When I said that you weren't part of the same household as your parents, I meant that in a benefits sense, which isn't always the same as the "normal" sense of the word. You're not part of their household from an HB/CTR point of view, you're a joint tenant with them in the same property.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.