• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

is it 6 calendar months or 183 days for faulty goods return

Bloke199
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just a quick query really, I bought an Asus Memo Pad on 17/12/2013 at 14.13. Last night at about 10PM, it stopped working, I am unable to do anything with it, it doesn't respond to any touch commands at all, and as the store closed at 9PM, I couldn't take it back.

I've just taken a trip to PC Ripoff to get a replacement, but as I was 10 hours over the 6 months, they can only send it off to Asus to be repaired. I can do that myself, and it would probably be quicker

I tried to argue about the Consumer Act 2008, 6 months rights, blah blah blah, but they wouldn't have it, as it is past the 6 months.

Is there anywhere in the Consumer Act that states it is exactly 6 calendar months or 183 days ?? If so, can someone point me in the right direction.

Cheers muchly,

Sacha

SOGA. Repair, replace, refund after 6 months. At the discretion of the retailer. Although i would issue a complaint as its only 10 hours over the 6 months. That to me sounds like someone being really anal about it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

SOGA. Repair, replace, refund after 6 months. At the discretion of the retailer. Although i would issue a complaint as its only 10 hours over the 6 months. That to me sounds like someone being really anal about it.

Hi Renegadeimp,

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping it would be the 183 days, as that gives me until the store closes today to get it replaced.

It was both the store manager and customer services on the phone who were being anal, I did state that the store wasn't open last night so I could get it back before midnight, but all that was quoted back to me was a repair by Asus was all they could do.

I do buy a regular amount of equipment from DSG to do with laptops, PC's and printers, but after this morning, I shall not be doing that again.

Thanks for help so far.

Cheers,

Sacha

soga is your friend here

not sure about the other stuff that has mentioned here

outside of 6mts

its for you to get a report done

detailing the fault

and concluding it is a manu fault.

nothing to do with the manu at all

its for the retailer to sort out

and decide the best option

repair, replace , refund.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'm not aware of any SOGA rules which lays down 6 months - or any other period for returns or for the expected lifetime of goods. Or any other legislation.

The SOGA rule contained in s.14 is that goods must be of satisfactory quality and must remain so for a reasonable time.

The contractual rule is that if the above rule is breached in that there is a defect which deprives you of the entire benefit of the contract, then you may insist on a replacement or a refund. If it is not such a fundamental defect then you have to accept damages.

I would say that a computer which fails after 6 months has given you some service and so you would probably have to settle for a repair or for the value of the computer less 6 months off its expected life - say, 4 or 5 yrs.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies, I seriously thought that if an item was under 6 months when it went faulty, you could get an automatic replacement with the retailer, but obviously not so it seems !!!! You learn something new everyday !!!

I've got in contact with Asus, I've received an RMA number, just waiting to hear from the courier who will pick it up.

Thanks bankfodder for that information, when you read on other consumer sites, they seem to imply that six months is an instant refund or replacement, no questions asked !!!!

Rebel11, I paid £120 cash for the Asus Memopad, and up until last night, have had no problems with it whatsoever

Deadyankee, I realise now that there isn't any legislation about time limits on either refunds, replacements or repairs apart from the 6 months onus of proof of fault.

Thanks again everyone for the insight on consumer protection against faulty goods !!!

Sacha

are asus repairing for free then?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

when you read on other consumer sites, they seem to imply that six months is an instant refund or replacement, no questions asked !!!!

Yes. It's very sad.

Hi dx,

I'm assuming so,

I did a couple of tests that the advisor asked me to do over the phone who stated that it appears faulty,

I was then sent an email with a website link to fill in a RMA, and

in the T&C's (yes I did read them !!!!), it states that all returned items are tested, and if faulty,

either a repair or replacement will be made, along with return postage.

If the fault is found to be done by me, or through general wear and tear, then a charge of £35 is made for the inspection,

with additional charges for parts and labour if repairs are to be made at my request, plus return postage.

I have taken photos of my Memopad in it's current condition,

it looks almost brand new as it's been in a protective leather case since I got it,

just in case there's a rogue repair worker !!!!

Hi Rebel11, I got into a bit of financial trouble in the past with credit cards, that are now all sorted, so I am doing my best to keep away from them, even with the protection they offer under section 75.

Cheers,

Sacha

looking good then

dx

and they