Mums ex helped himself to her benefits

edjama
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3618 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My mum threw her partner out 6-8 week ago. She made a fresh benefit claim in her sole name and asked it to be paid into her own account, not the joint one. ( She couldn't get her partner off the joint account so changing banks seemed easier) The last two benefit payments went into the joint account, despite her repeat requests to have them in the new account. She should have been paid today and the benefits went into the joint account, only to be drawn out in the early hours. The ex partner is the only person with another card. Benefits agency told her there is nothing they can do and she should just ask him politely to give her some of the money (not likely when he's a drug addict) She cant live without money, what can she do? Surely some blame lies with benefits agency for paying into the wrong account? Any advice welcome :)

So what exactly are htey saying about not changing the bank account ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

That's just bizarre - it takes about 15 seconds to change bank account information on the computer system and it should be possible to have it done over the phone. I could possibly understand one payment going to the wrong account if it had already been issued prior to her request, but two payments? I can't see any excuse for that based on what you've told us.

She should certainly write to them if that's what they're demanding, but if I were her I'd write a separate letter complaining that her instructions were not implemented and, as a direct result, her benefits have been taken by an unauthorised person.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

when I changed bank accounts they told me they couldn't action a phone request and it needed to be in writing so I had to send a letter. Admittedly that was 2 years ago so it might have changed.

when I changed bank accounts they told me they couldn't action a phone request and it needed to be in writing so I had to send a letter. Admittedly that was 2 years ago so it might have changed.

I used to take phone requests to do that every day while processing ESA. It was perfectly common. But even if it can't be done on the phone, the OP's mum should have been told about this as soon as she called to request the change.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Ok the matter was eventually resolved. Just to clarify, initially she cancelled a joint claim, then submitted a new claim as a single person. The new bank details were put on this. After the initial payment going to the account on the old claim she phoned and was told it would be sorted. Anyway, after a second call got her nowhere, my sister, who is a little more forceful got on the phone and managed to escalate things. Result! A second payment has been made into the new account, and the application will be checked. should the new bank details be on that application, the person who processed will be reprimanded and my mum will receive a written apology.

I had no problem changing mine on the phone a few years ago.