• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Council Tax - Attachment of Earnings

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3667 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please?

I have spent the last 5 years fighting eviction for mortgage arrears. My lender, sub-prime, got in just in time before the legislation changed demanding more consultation before applying for a possession order, and have been pushing ever since.

I was never more than 5 months in arrears but I have defended - I have lost count, but I think, 6 eviction notices. During that period they have raised their rate 3 times. I am now down to slightly less than 2 months arrears and they seem to be prepared to back off.

During this whole period I have amounts of unpaid Council Tax because every Penny went to keep my house - I did not prioritise other debts over the CT and I have 3CCJs to prove it!

Out of nowhere the council have now sent my employer 2 x attachment of earnings for CT years 2009 and 10 which combined will cost me over £400 per month since I just fall in the 17% of earnings level of net pay.

I earn just under £1500 net, the mortgage is now £800 (£750+£50 arrears) which is less than they want but I think will be okay. The £400 will take that to £1200, leaving me £300 for everything else.

Do I have any right of appeal? I notice that the Eviction Notices were always copied to the council, presumably for rehoming in a hostel or something, although I understand single people get no help at all. So they had proof of what is happening.

My employer could sack me for this because of the nature of my job, and if they send further attachments for overdue sums in subsequent years I think he will, which benefits no-one.

I am paying an interest rate on my mortgage of 7.75% which is in loan shark territory but obviously there has been no chance of re-mortgaging to a fairer rate with the arrears.

Any thoughts please? I thought I was out of the woods and had emailed to explain to the council that I would be in a position to catch up now, an email they seem to have ignored, but with the outstanding amounts which include bailiff and court charges I fear that I will lose my house.

My lender will not be sympathetic if I starve, will the council? I have not wasted money I have no car, never go out, and have not been on holiday for 20 years.

Thanks for any input.

If you have not paid or made an arrangement with the Council then they have done nothing wrong I am afraid and yes there is every chance that when one is paid off they will do the same with others. Do you know how many Liability orders the Council have?

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No I don't Plodd. I confess I have had my head in the sand as I have literally been fighting off repossession for 5 years.

I paid when I could but that was not all the time I'm afraid.

I will write and ask them that question. My main concern is losing my job altogether over this which means I lose the house and there are no earnings to attach to. I would far rather they take a charge over the house, and that I pay them without the charging orders - are they likely to agree to that?

I could understand if they had written to me and said you have to pay one way or another - with that sort of threat I would have done what they said even if it meant going without food, etc.

Do you have any idea how flexible they are?

Do I have any right of appeal?

You can request the council withdraw one or both of the orders but it's their prerogative only.

I could understand if they had written to me and said you have to pay one way or another

Once a liability order has been granted the council need to give you no further notice prior to them issuing an attachment order.

Thanks SS00. If they would withdraw one of the orders I might be able to survive. It will still be £255 but the £404 they want is going to cripple me. I have put in an immediate plea for this to happen but will follow up tomorrow with a breakdown of my outgoings. That said I don't suppose they will care that I am locked into such a high mortgage interest rate - what is that to them??

I confess I had no idea that the liability order, rubber stamped by a magistrate, gives them such power without further reference to the CT payer. That is certainly a lesson learned.

What I think may have happened is that this has been triggered by the recent merger of my council with another, and them jointly outsourcing this to a third council. All my letters etc., will have been lost and the computer has taken over. Hopefully there is still a human in there somewhere that I can talk to!

Thanks again.

I think you should write to your council explaining that your job could be at risk if the AOE goes ahead, and ask if you can make an arrangement to pay - include a budget sheet with your letter to show them what you can afford. I have done this for a couple of people at my work and the council allowed them to pay either via direct debit or bank transfer, or at the council offices.

Link to budget sheet -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31141&d=1320168516

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi Ell-enn. Thanks.

It was you that helped me save my house! 6+ eviction notices over the last 5 years, but mercifully now at a point where I can 'get away with' £800 per month compared to the hundreds of extra Pounds a month I was paying to keep them at bay.

I could maybe afford one attachment - which would come out at £255 - just! - but two at £404 will send me back into mortgage arrears and I think I will have run out of sympathetic judges on that.

I will appeal as you suggest. Should I offer them a charge over the house instead?

Thanks again for all your help in the past and ongoing. I have neglected the CT and I do want to pay it back, but when an eviction notice comes through your door every time you are £1 short on the mortgage plus arrears (plus the mortgage company put their rates up three times during that period) it is hard to give them what you haven't got!!

Hi, how much is the normal monthly mortgage payment ?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

It was £756 but it has suddenly gone down to £743 - the first time it has gone down in over 5 years. The actual arrears are down to below £1,000 now but because I pay a bit late they go up to about £1,500 until I pay for the last month. I would love to 'catch up' but that is impossible.

The other issue is that while I am hoping to get a better paid job, that will never happen with an attachment order on my earnings in my industry.

What industry are you in ? A future employer wouldn't know, I know some jobs need various clearance, I for example work in IT and I have sc level clearance but the majority of it jobs don't require it, is there a similar jobs you could apply for that won't need checks ?, how about contract jobs ? I've been doing short term roles since 2013 and the pay has been quite good.

Unless you told a new employer they would never know about the attachments unless the council sent them a copy of the order to take an attachment from your wages - there's no public record of the attachment (even a liability order application is held only by the court and the council).

The problem is SS that until I have paid it all off the attachment would follow me. My employer has to tell the council if I leave so they would know where I had gone.

If have never told them where I work - they got the info from the Inland Revenue. Apparently they have powers to do that. In fact it seems local councils have the power to do just about anything!

Go Self-employed/contract. :) I owed some council tax and informed the council that they should accept my offer to pay, as attachemnts wouldnt apply to me, unfortunatley that only really leaves the bailiff option..or jail.

And yes, they do have the power to do almost anything, sidestepping the usual civil debt rules, its all goes back to the poll tax.

I actually could go self employed Andy so not a bad idea!

As for going to prison - I would be glad of the rest! If they sent me to prison for three months instead of collecting the money I could have my first proper holiday in 20 years, catch up with some reading, and chill out! :)

Quite apart from anything, why the hell do they have the right to be told by the Revenue where you work??? They have never asked me, just gone behind my back. A bailiff did come round some time ago. I told him, quite honestly, that if I had anything I could sell to catch up with the payments I would have done so! I don't have a car, and nothing in the house is worth anything on the second hand market - my PC belongs to my employer. He was quite nice about it!! :)