Small Claims application - Defendent in Scotland, Pursuer in England

jj45
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3743 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am considering making a small claim against a company in Scotland however I reside in England and am hoping someone can advise me how to proceed.

Background.

I had a financial agreement with a company who is based in Scotland and as far as I am aware do not have an office in England. When this financial agreement was set up I resided in Scotland however I no longer live there but reside in England and this financial agreement came to an end in 2012 and I was resident in England by that time. For reasons I do not wish to divulge I now wish to take this organisation to the small claims court as the usual letters have not resulted in a satisfactory response. Now the problem arises in that the organisation has offices in Scotland yet I live in England.

Referring to the English small claims website https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

to make a claim through the English courts the organisation needs an English address which as I mentioned above the organisation does not have. So I looked at the Scottish law courts website and on the face of it it looked as though I could make an application to a court in Scotland. Because I do not live in Scotland I thought (by reading through the Scottish law courts website) that I should apply to the court nearest the defendant. To check this is the case I phoned the court and spoke to someone in the small claims court and explained my scenario.

Unfortunately this is where I became confused. The person just asked me (words to the effect) 'under which jurisdiction' do I want to make the application. I stated that I did not understand what they meant re-iterating that I do not live in Scotland. They then replied that I would have to pursue the defendant through the English courts to which I countered that the English courts (apparently) will not allow this because this organisation does not have an office in England. At this point I got the impression they were becoming irate with me because I did not understand the phrase 'under which jurisdiction' (again I am para-phrasing somewhat), so they just pointed me to links on the Scottish Law Courts website where I can get in touch with Citizen's Advice etc.

So my question is can I make a small claim against this organisation which has offices only in Scotland yet I live in England? which legal system do I use? Unfortunately speaking to the person in the Scottish court I became more confused. I realise that the court cannot give me legal advice but I would have thought they would have been able to clearly state whether they could accept an application for a small claim given the above scenario.

Many thanks for your help.

Hi jj45 and welcome to CAG

The following links may assist with your query :-

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part06/pd_part06b

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n510-eng.pdf

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. Looks like there's a lot of legal-speak I need to try and get to grips with although I still can't get a clear understanding of exactly what jurisdiction is and if and why where I currently reside affects this. I'll try to get to grips with the links you provided.

Hi,

The Civil Jurisdiction & Judgements Act 1982 covers jurisdiction issues in relation to court actions.

For individuals, jurisdiction is based upon where they are 'domiciled' (their place of residence) there are a few exceptions but these are quite rare.

When a creditor is pursuing an individual for a debt then they should do so at the sheriff court within whose jurisdiction that the debtor resides.

To enforce a CCJ in Scotland, the creditor has to register it for enforcement at the Books of Council & Session (Court of Session) which will then give the authority for a Messenger-at Arms (Officer of Court similar to a Sheriff Officer) to serve a Charge for Payment then after 14 days:

serve an earnings arrestment.

bank arrestment;

attachment of possession outwith your home (ie a car provided it is valued in excess of £1,000).

Alterntively, a creditor may pursue a creditors sequestration (bankruptcy) at the sheriff court.

This link should help.............

http://www.govanlc.com/suedinengland.htm

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert