Equita bailiff clamped car & got £600 out of me for unknown TFL PCN - - help please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3768 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I had my car clamped a few days ago for a TFL camera parking PCN I knew nothing about, issued last August.

The bailiff was actually a very decent bloke, but told me I had to pay £572 immediately and that the car was earmarked for removal at any time,

which would escalate the costs to £700-800.

I said as I had had no communication about this PCN at all, and more importantly from Equita, (who because I had a very unpleasant run-in with years ago,

I wouldn't have let it go this far) could I have a few hours to make enquiries, and why was the total so large?

He said 2 letters had been sent, it was out of his hands and to call the office, who may be able to help.

I did so - I was working and had very little time to deal with this

- and obviously got the hardest-nosed woman in the history of bailiffs who spoke to me very rudely.

She kept telling me it was up to the bailiff - but he wouldnt answer his phone.

It was impossible to communicate with this person (I do understand that this is their MO),

and the post then came, with what turned out to be the only letter they had sent, dated Jan 3rd.

This was Jan 7th.

letter asked me for £215.

I opened it as I was on the phone to them, and asked if I could at least pay this, instead of nearly £600.

Is it legal to add this much without warning?

I had no choice but to pay, as I had just about enough, and wouldn't have been able to afford the extra if they'd towed and impounded it.

What is my next step.

Can I apply for an OOT when I've already paid?

Advice gratefully received.

T

Sorry, cross post - "No" was to ploddertom.

G&M - What you've quoted me as writing is not what I wrote, as far as I can see; I wrote: "and the post then came, with what turned out to be the only letter they had sent, dated Jan 3rd.

This was Jan 7th.

I opened it as I was on the phone to them, and asked if I could at least pay this, instead of nearly £600."

So the letter that Equita wrote - the only one I received - I received AFTER the bailiff came on the same morning. It stated the TFL charge - £202.50 - plus 11.50 or thereabouts admin fee.

T

Sorry, cross post - "No" was to ploddertom.

G&M - What you've quoted me as writing is not what I wrote, as far as I can see; I wrote: "and the post then came, with what turned out to be the only letter they had sent, dated Jan 3rd.

This was Jan 7th.

I opened it as I was on the phone to them, and asked if I could at least pay this, instead of nearly £600."

So the letter that Equita wrote - the only one I received - I received AFTER the bailiff came on the same morning. It stated the TFL charge - £202.50 - plus 11.50 or thereabouts admin fee.

T

So the letter just said 'Dear Sir, please can we have £202 plus £11 admin'? Details are important with these matters being vague helps no one.