Private Sale Problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3808 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

I sold a car to a 'friend' back in September, and as he has recently had an accident and had some cash flow problems, I made an agreement with him to pay half (£1250) then and the remaining balance by 15th December 2013.

As you can probably guess, come the 15th he advised he didn't have the money and essentially it's my tough luck. Totally blasé.

In my naivety, I budgeted for that money to come in and now I can't afford rent, let alone buying anything for my son for Christmas. In the meantime he has had a lovely sleeve tattoo done. The 'friend' really couldn't care.

I have his acknowledgment of the agreement in writing, but the log book was signed over.

Apart from small claims do I have any legal recourse to get the vehicle back?

It's times like this that I wish I knew some heavies.

Thanks in advance.

Short answer is to your question is "no" i'm afraid.

If you have the "agreement in writing", send him a default letter indicating that he has 7 working days to pay the outstanding balance as per the agreement. Indicate in the letter that you may make an application to the small claims court if he dosn't comply.

When the time limit of that runs out, you would need then to send a 'final letter before action' (LBA) before you could make an application to the court which you can do here; https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Unfortunately there is no legal way to get this sorted before Christmas if he dosn't keep to the agreement..

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

No receipt as such, but I've possibly acknowledged the half he paid in an email. Don't think I can legally repossess the car otherwise I would.

I'd love to send the heavies in for the upset caused at Christmas of all times!

That would depend on the wording of your "agreement". But you would still need to send him a reasonable written warning to cover your back.

Obviously we can only give you advice which is within the law so no one should really be talking about "sending the heavies in". However, it it was me, I would go round and confront him myself...

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Obviously we can only give you advice which is within the law so no one should really be talking about "sending the heavies in".

My reference to the 'Heavies' was bailiffs after a ccj is obtained and not satisfied.

That will only happen, of course, if you have the evidence to show he agreed to deferred payment. Without that, he can just say he paid you in full in cash.