card payments under £5

kaimoo86
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3819 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are small shops allowed to charge you for a transaction for a card payment under £5

Walked to the shop this morning a small corner shop, I picked up milk and butter went to pay and the shop owner said sorry no card payments under £5 or they'll be a £1 fee.

So I got a few more items that took it up to £6, I used my card in the shop a few days ago bought £3 worth of stuff with no issue so I'm assuming it was the owner who served me this morning.

If it wasn't so cold I'd have told him thanks but I'll walk to the co op from now on. I just don't know if he can legally add a £1 charge for transactions by debit card if it's under £5

You can add the charges to any amount but most people dont unless it is a small amount because the profit on the sale makes the card processing charges negligible. It costs about 60p to process a card transaction so adding £1 is not unreasonable. Have you ever thought of paying cash to get round these charges if you find them so objectionable? Your shopkeeper will prefer it because it cost nothing to bank his cash takings.