• Tweets

• Know it has already been answered, but? Does not explain why JCI has registered a different default date when they get the information from the original creditor, Virgin
    • Since you were stopped at the time there is no requirement for the police give you anything there and then or to send you anything before they have decided how to deal with the offence.  They have three choices: Offer you a course Offer you a fixed penalty (£100 and three points) Prosecute you in court  The only option that has a formal time limit is (3). They must begin court proceedings within six months of the date of the alleged offence. Options (1) and (2) have no time limit but since the only alternative the police have if you decline those offers is (3) they will not usually offer a course beyond three months from the date of the offence and will not usually offer a fixed penalty beyond four months from that date. This is so as to allow time for the driver to accept and comply with their offer and to give them the time to go to option (3) if he declines or ignores it.  Unless there is a good reason to do otherwise, the action they take will usually be in accordance with the National Police Chiefs' Council's guidance on speeding enforcement. In a 40mph limit this is as follows Up to 45mph - no action. Between 46mph and 53mph - offer a course Between 54mph and 65mph - offer a fixed penalty Over 65mph - prosecution in court So you can see that 54mph should see you offered a fixed penalty. Three weeks is not overly long for a fixed penalty offer to arrive. As well as that, there has been Easter in that period which will have slowed things down a bit. However, I would suggest that if it gets to about two months from the offence date and you have still heard nohing, I would contact the ticket office for the area where you were stopped to see if anything has been sent to you. Of course this raises the danger that you might be "stirring the hornets' nest". But in all honesty, if the police have decided to take no action, you jogging their memory should not really influence them. The bigger danger, IMHO, is that your fixed penalty offer may have been sent but lost and if you do not respond it will lapse. This will see the police revert to option (3) above. Whilst there is a mechanism in these circumstances  to persuade the court to sentence you at the fixed penalty level (rather than in accordance with the normal guidelines which will see a harsher penalty), it relies on them believing you when you say you did not received an offer. In any case it is aggravation you could well do without so for the sake of a phone call, I'd enquire if it was me.  I think I've answered all your questions but if I can help further just let me know. Just a tip - if you are offered a fixed penalty be sure to submit your driving licence details as instructed. I've seen lots of instances where a driver has not done this. There will be no reminder and no second chance; your £100 will be refunded and the police will prosecute you through the courts.
    • Looks similar to you original email to their Complaints team. I dont rate copypasta for a CEO complaint. Rewrite it with emotion involved as to how badly this is affecting you and make them feel embarrassed for their actions... 
    • Well, not quite the trouncing they deserve, and Andy Street suffering - despite distancing himself from the poops and being a good mayor (and despite the rather ridiculous muslim voter labour boycott across regions - did they really want the tories to stay in power?) - But not bad at all The Reformatory goons managed two council seats didn't it - out of over 300 they tried for ..     
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Trollsicles V Barclays Bank

Trollsicles
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6187 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just getting started on my claim for £495.

They were very prompt in sending out the statements.

Phoned for statements 06/10/06, statements arrived 11/10/06.

Sent prelim letter off 11/10/06. Got a standard letter back 19/10/06.

They said they would get back to me within 4 weeks at the latest but have I understood correctly that I am still to keep to my times not theirs and post off the LBA on 25/10/06 (exactly 14 days after the prelim letter posted)..

Am a bit nervous about the whole thing, but got another bank account set up just in case.

Any advice gratefully received

Trollsicles xx

Ordered Statements: 06/10/06

Statements Received: 11/10/06

Prelim letter posted: 11/10/06

Standard Reply Received: 19/10/06

LBA posted: 25/10/06

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Offer of Part payment letter received 09/11/06

Rejection letter sent to Barclays 13/11/06

Amendments sent to MCOL 21/11/06

Sealed claim received from MCOL 25/01/07

Claim received by Barclays 29/01/07

2 weeks to defend - deadline 13/02/07

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct! Keep to your deadlines, ignore theirs, dont be put off by standard letters you may receive, if unsure just ask here on this thread!

In the meantime keep reading the longer threads, they will give you an idea of what to expect from the bank in terms of response and also will give you a confidence boost along the way!!!

Keep us updated!

• Confused 1

well I sent the LBA off yesterday, all done so Im just preparing for the next stage. I have had a look on the spreadsheet for calculating the interest but I do not have a clue where to start with my calculations. Do I just copy the layout of the spreadsheet and get working on my calculator? I have had a look at other threads, but I still dont get it really. Maths wasn't my strong point at school and I'm getting into a bit of a tizz over this part.

Trollsicles xx

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Yes, I put a copy of the charges in with both letters...Have had a look at the information on the interest spreadsheets again and it's making more sense now than it did before! Also, thanks for the link, I've managed to get the interest amounts now..Just want to make sure I know my stuff (and can explain the interest claim) in case it does get to court..

Trollsicles xx

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Hi I seem to be running on the same schedule (my correspondence is only one day behind yours) I am mailing my LBA today. I have second bank accounts set up already and have transfered my direct debits and salary over to this account already. I have done interest calculation using England Advanced excel from the same link as Welshman suggest.

Peter

PETER RABBIT V BARCLAYS Settled in Full 05 March 2007

Hi Peter,

Good to know that someone else is at the same stage as me. I'm getting a bit worried about possibility of it going to court and having read all the threads on forms to fill in, am quite daunted about it all..Did you send everything to the head office? I also set up a new basic bank account just in case....It seems that Barclays push you right to the last step on this...

Barclays have got until the 8th November to refund, or else court action it is..

Keep me updated

Trollsicles xx

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Actually I have a question. Over the past 6 years the overdraft limit on the account has changed various times and the statements do not say how much it was at any particular time....I have just been looking through the statements now and have seen lots of 'INTEREST CHARGED' charges...Is this something I can also claim for or is it too late now/a charge which is lawful?

Trollsicles

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Well, only 2 more days till I file a claim with the courts, but I have more questions which I can't find the answer to.

So far, Barclays haven't offered a penny, but if they do, (and it is only a fraction of the total amount) do I claim to entire amount online, or just the difference between what they have offered and what is outstanding? Trying to be organised so I can be prepared for Wednesday. Any ideas? Anyone?!

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Well, only 2 more days till I file a claim with the courts, but I have more questions which I can't find the answer to.

So far, Barclays haven't offered a penny, but if they do, (and it is only a fraction of the total amount) do I claim to entire amount online, or just the difference between what they have offered and what is outstanding? Trying to be organised so I can be prepared for Wednesday. Any ideas? Anyone?!

If they offer you any money before you file i would still file for the full amount owed. If they offer cash and you accept it as a part settlement they normally withdraw the offer.

Thanks for the speedy reply livelylad.I have already made the spreadsheet with interest ready for Wednesday but not put a column with the amount of days since the offence took place. Do you know if this is necessary? Should I add this information in before sending it off?

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Have done the spreadsheet and put number of days column in with it, but with the daily interest rate Im not sure if I work that out just on the £495 that I am claiming in unfair charges, or if I add the 8% statutory interest amount onto that (£120.77) and then work it out. Any ideas?

£495 x 0.00022 = £0.11 OR

£615.77 x 0.00022 = £0.14

I'm assuming that the amounts are rounded up too (exacts are £0.1089 or £0.1354). Is that right?

MCOL filed 09/11/06

can anyone help please?!!

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Ok, have drafted my particulars of claim and this is what I have come up with from the guidance. Does it sound ok, or does any of it need altering?

Many thanks.

I have a contract with Barclays Bank, account number XXXXXXXX which was opened in 1992. Between 24th January 2000 and 19th April 2006 the defendant has debited charges in respect of purported breaches of their contract. The defendant is aware of all the details, as a list of charges have already been supplied and another copy will be sent. I contend the following: That the charges exceed the defendants losses caused by the breaches; The term permitting the defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999, Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and at common law. I am claiming the return of the amounts debited of £495, Interest per S.69 County Courts Act 1984 of 8% totaling £120.77 continuing at 8% until judgment or settlement at a daily rate of £0.14 and costs allowed by the courts. Alternatively, if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

MCOL filed 09/11/06

The Particulars of Claim text that I used was:

"The Claimant had a contract with the Defendant Your account number here from Approximate date account opened which was conducted on their standard terms and conditions. The Claimant claims the return of £ amount before adding % age levied by the defendant in the way of charges. The charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regs 1999, Para 8 and sch.2(1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty, they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. The defendant has been asked to justify the charges but they have declined to do so. The Claimant claims interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from Date of the first of their charges against you to Date of the last charge of £ place the 8% figure here and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of multiply your amount before interest by 0.0002 and put here (Mine is £0.45).

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman

many thanks, I'll get on the case straight away

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Well, I spent many an hour online last night and finally filed with MCOL.

It has been processed from today and the scumbags now have 14 days to file a defence. (I'm kind of hoping they will forget and let the deadline slip by!)

When I returned from work, there was a letter in the post from Barclays offering £200 in full payment of the complaint, although not accepting that the charges were unlawful. Well, they know what they can do with that. I'm writing their 'thanks but no thanks' letter straight away and the rest can go through the court...

Keep your fingers crossed for me folks!

Trollsicles xx

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Once you file, it takes 5 days to serve on the Bank. It's then that the 14 days start. Once they acknowledge, they then have a further 14 days to defend, making it a total of 33 days.

Welshman

Ah, thanks for that Welshman.

MCOL filed 09/11/06

As for the judgement page, can I just check that I don't need to tick either box yet until I see what Barclays response is, ie. if they file a defence (as it's with regards to how I would like to be paid! and I haven't won yet)

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Good luck with the claim Trollsicles!!! :D

Flor :)

Barclays current a/c: Settled £3,413.27 :D

HSBC: Settled £753.00. :-D

MBNA (bmi): Settled £580.00. :D

Egg Card: 16/11/06 Received letter -they will not pay the £200 charges nor remove default notice.

Please click the scales if I have helped you :)

Thanks

Having spent more time looking at other threads on this site (it's so addictive!!), I am now concerned that I have calculated the incorrect amount for the daily rate of interest on my claim.

I worked it out by adding the 8% statutory interest onto the claim total of £495 and then multiplying this by 0.0022.

I think I should have just done the sum on the £495 without the statutory court interest....Now, I know this only makes a difference of 3p a day, but are Barclays going to pull me to pieces because I can't even do my calculations correct?! Is this going to ruin my case??

MCOL filed 09/11/06

I worked it out by adding the 8% statutory interest onto the claim total of £495 and then multiplying this by 0.0022.

Unless you've done a typo here in this post, your multiplier is wrong. It should be 0.00022. You've missed a zero, but reading back on your thread you are correct.

There are two ways to find out what your daily amount is.

1. Multiply the amount before adding the interest by 0.00022 so in your case it's 11pence per day on £495.

Or

2. Over two days, look at your spreadsheet and the totals will differ by the daily amount.

Did you send a schedule of charges including the 8% interest to MCOL and the Bank?

If not, no real damage done but you MUST attach it to your Allocation Questionnaire when you submit it.

Welshman

Thanks Welshman,

I have already sent the schedule of charges to MCOL and the bank and am awaiting confirmation of them receiving these, but in the spreadsheet, my calculation worked out the daily rate to be 14p (as I had added the 8% interest onto the £495 charges making it £615.77 and then multiplying that by 0.00022). I now realise that it should have only been 11p (just £495 X 0.00022), thank you for explaining that to me, but what should I do now? Do I need to completely scrap the claim and start again with the correct figures, or just send a letter to the courts explaining that I am a numpty and not really sure what I'm doing?!! Or, should I just wait for the AQ to arrive and edit the details when I send that back?

Thanks for your help

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Oh, by the way, I received the 'Notice of Issue' this morning from the courts saying that the defendant has until 28th November to reply... Im now going to make a start at understanding the court bundle and getting totally prepared...

MCOL filed 09/11/06