How do I publicise this to the unwary? ** Successfully Resolved **

Frank4774
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3821 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In May this year my wife's sister-in-law asked if she could use our computer to search for a comparison site for car insurance.

To make a long story short, I'll cut to the chase and answer any questions later, I won't mention the insurer unless the Mods ask me.

She got a satisfactory quote, filled in the proposal form and remitted the full amount for 12 months insurance.

She received, via email to my address, a Certificate of Insurance citing insurance from June 2013 until June 2014.

Last week she received a letter from DVLA stating that no valid insurance for her vehicle appeared on their database.

I contacted the insurer via email, and was told that two emails had been sent to the email address she had provided, (mine), asking for proof of NCD, when no replies were received they cancelled the insurance.

In their email they quoted the email address that they had on record, it was close to mine, but minus one letter.

It materialised that they had credited the premium paid back to the sister-in- law, minus a reasonable amount for the cover they had provided until cancellation, and taken a £53 admin fee.

I pointed out that I was receiving their emails because they were replying to ones I had sent, which emanated from my computer, so how could they have a wrong address in their system?

Plus, if I had given them a wrong address, how did they send the Certificate of Insurance to the correct one?

I also asked how could they just let her drive for 4.5 months uninsured, when they had her address, and both her land line and mobile numbers to inform her of the situation?

They replied that they were an on line only company and did not send snail mail or phone customers.

She is not unduly bothered about the admin fee, but for 4.5 months she was driving completely unprotected, as were anyone that might have had an accident with her, fortunately she had no accidents.

The police were never involved, she has no prosecution pending, and is now insured with another company, but both she and I want to apprise the public about this in order that they can avoid it happening to them.

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Name and shame the insurer. Or you can use the search box in the top left corner of this site to see if others have had the same issue as you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Have you contacted the Insurance Ombudsman about this ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It would make life a lot easier, (an probably more profitable for them), if they were to charge the full premium and then make a refund when the proof of no claims was sent in.

But of course, they won't be able to charge a rip-off admin fee that corresponds to nothing.

This is a lesson for people who arrange cover online. They need to check on the valididity of their cover within the first month or so. This is not an isolated case going by what is reported in various forums. I have worked with Insurance internet systems and databases. They are not as robust as they should be. Because of the volume of work that is handled, the Insurance staff won't spend much time on each case. The certainly won't be sending letters or making phone calls, when there is a problem. They will just process through their systems and relevant emails will be sent via whatever email address is showing on their system.

In this case, if the policyholder entered their correct email address and the Insurers messed up, then it is not the fault of the policyholder. The Insurers would have had to honour the cover arranged, had there been an accident or a problem of driving with no Insurance.

People can check whether they are insured as often as they like using the following link.

http://www.askmid.com/

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Have you contacted the Insurance Ombudsman about this ?

No I haven't, I should stress, my sister-in-law is not overly concerned with getting back the admin charge, although that would be nice.

She is incandescent that Quote Me Happy just "pulled the plug" and left her unknowingly driving her car while uninsured.

I thought that the Ombudsman only mediated in a dispute, and that the possible dire consequences of Q M Happy's action was not part of his remit.

What I may do is, apprise the Association of British Insurers, or Insurance, of the companies actions, or lack of, to see what they say.

Guest Aviva Support
In May this year my wife's sister-in-law asked if she could use our computer to search for a comparison site for car insurance.

To make a long story short, I'll cut to the chase and answer any questions later, I won't mention the insurer unless the Mods ask me.

She got a satisfactory quote, filled in the proposal form and remitted the full amount for 12 months insurance.

She received, via email to my address, a Certificate of Insurance citing insurance from June 2013 until June 2014.

Last week she received a letter from DVLA stating that no valid insurance for her vehicle appeared on their database.

I contacted the insurer via email, and was told that two emails had been sent to the email address she had provided, (mine), asking for proof of NCD, when no replies were received they cancelled the insurance.

In their email they quoted the email address that they had on record, it was close to mine, but minus one letter.

It materialised that they had credited the premium paid back to the sister-in- law, minus a reasonable amount for the cover they had provided until cancellation, and taken a £53 admin fee.

I pointed out that I was receiving their emails because they were replying to ones I had sent, which emanated from my computer, so how could they have a wrong address in their system?

Plus, if I had given them a wrong address, how did they send the Certificate of Insurance to the correct one?

I also asked how could they just let her drive for 4.5 months uninsured, when they had her address, and both her land line and mobile numbers to inform her of the situation?

They replied that they were an on line only company and did not send snail mail or phone customers.

She is not unduly bothered about the admin fee, but for 4.5 months she was driving completely unprotected, as were anyone that might have had an accident with her, fortunately she had no accidents.

The police were never involved, she has no prosecution pending, and is now insured with another company, but both she and I want to apprise the public about this in order that they can avoid it happening to them.

Hi Frank4774,

I'm sorry to hear about what has happened. We've been in touch with our colleagues at QuoteMeHappy and they've requested if you can ask your wife's sister-in-law to email the team direct at [email protected] so they can look into this for you. Please have 'Expression of dissatisfaction' as the subject and include all of the details about what happened including the policy number.

Kind regards,

Martin Banwell

Aviva Social Media Support

Guest Aviva Support
Hello Martin.

Is this policy an Aviva one then? I wasn't clear, so I moved the thread out of your forum into the main insurance one. It can always go back if you're claiming it. :)

HB

Hi honeybee13,

QuoteMeHappy are part of Aviva; so although it's not an Aviva policy directly, we can assist by passing queries through to our colleagues at QuoteMeHappy. Feel free to put it in the Aviva section and we can monitor it.

Many thanks,

Martin Banwell

Aviva Social Media Support

• 5 weeks later...
Thank you for that, Martin, I hadn't realised you were in the same group.

I'll put this back in the Aviva forum. :)

HB

Thanks for the interest shown in this thread by everyone, I am happy to report that Aviva have finally responded favourably to my emails.

They have credited the £53 cancellation fee back to my wife's sister-in-law, and issued her a letter of apology.

I have now gone from slagging them off big time, to recommending that they be considered if you're looking for insurance.

Excellent news. I am pleased this has now been resolved and will amend your thread title to reflect this.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D