Claim Form received- AK on MBNA debt - Advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3606 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

UPDATE

No reply to my request for an extension of time. So I guess I need to file my defence now.

With regard to the mis sold PPI, do you think I should mention this in the defence, or should I treat this as a separate matter between myself & MBNA?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE

No reply to my request for an extension of time. So I guess I need to file my defence now.

With regard to the mis sold PPI, do you think I should mention this in the defence, or should I treat this as a separate matter between myself & MBNA?

The particulars of claim read as follows:

The claimant claims the sum of 5232.23 for debt and interest.

on 26/08/02 the defendant entered into an agreement with MBNA for a credit card under reference xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

On 31/08/12 the defendant defaulted on the agreement with an outstanding balance of 4,873.34.

On 24/10/12 the debt of 4,873.34 was assigned to Aktiv Kapital portfolio As Oslo Zug Branch.

Notice of assignment was sent to the defendant in accordance with s136 Law of Property act 1925.

And the claimant claims

1. The sum of 4,873.34

2. Statutory interest pursuant to Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8.00% per annum

from 24/10/12 to 25/9/13 358.89, & thereafter at a daily rate of 1.07 until judgement or sooner payment.

Ok, you have until the 29th October to submit your defence, if I remember correctly the issue date was 26th September ? So you still have 6 days.

I have brought forward the PoC information.

Are they still in default of your CCA request ?

If you are forced to submit a defence, you can only respond to the PoC.

Which would be that

That either the claimant or MBNA have not complied with the s78 request.

That you dispute the amount being claimed

Did you receive either the default notice and the Notice of assignment ?

Have you been receiving Notice of Arrears statements ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have you got the information required to submit a PPI claim - eg statements ? If so, then you should be taking steps to submit the claim to MBNA.

I am not sure about including the mis selling of the PPI .. I will ask someone to advise.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ok, you have until the 29th October to submit your defence, if I remember correctly the issue date was 26th September ? So you still have 6 days.

Are they still in default of your CCA request ? Yes, nothing received.

Which would be that

Did you receive either the default notice and the Notice of assignment ?No

No Edited by Ironroadman

What you'll find this lot most likely do is fob you off and sit back until it's time to submit the AQ/DQ. Then attached to their copy of the AQ will be all the info required (as they see it) to stump your defence [a copy of an agreement, some Ts & Cs, some statements showing useage of the account etc).

Pretty sure they do this in the hope that the sudden glut of information very 'last minute' will force you to throw the towel in.

Going back to CBs question above do you have statements in your possession which show either PPI or unlawful charges added to the account? Is there enough info to assess what the account should/could be reduced by?

I'm just trying to think ahead slightly - IF they come up with the info relevant to your defence, and IF that info may be adequate to satisfy a DJ that you owe the money, and IF you reach a point where it would be more feasible to negotiate your way out rather than risk ending up with a CCJ, then you need to have figures in mind to throw at them.

AK have owned my MBNA account for a couple of years now and after god knows how many "offer" letters I've had from them they've eventually opted for the court route. I'm quite sure that there's issues with the account or they wouldn't have left it so long, neither would they have offered such huge discounts. But, reading through the docs that turned up attached to the AQ I'd have to admit that if I were the DJ in my case I would, on the balance of probability, agree that I owed the money.

Mine isn't in SC track so I could be subjected to some huge costs if I continue to fight it and lose. You have an advantage there :-) as your value is lower and in SC track. Which makes them vulnerable as AK will know this and probably not want a fight as they'll still have to pay the Sols whatever the court may or may not award in costs. Which won't be much in SCT.

There are plenty of defences on this forum that you could adapt to suit your situation, but be prepared for the info to magically appear by the time AQs go in.

Who are the Sols? Is it HL?

Mike

You should not mention the PPI in your defence - only respond to the points in the Particulars of Claim and start sorting out the paperwork to make your refund claim to MBNA, separately.

BCOBS

Above is right, BUT record their timings as if they fail to follow court direction on producing documents. who is the solcitor on this one. and no doubt any signature on witness statement will be Steve Crosborrow.

Sols are J&P of Bromley.

Are they still in default of your CCA request ?

Which would be that

Did you receive either the default notice and the Notice of assignment ?

UPDATE

Letter received today from Sols. Reads: "We can agree to an extension of time as requested. We will agree to allow you an extra 14 days to respond to the claim form, from the date the documentation is sent to you".

So as we do not know when this is going to be, any thoughts on what I should inform the court?

Edited by Ironroadman

RE: Extension of time.

"We can agree to an extension of time as requested. We will agree to allow you an extra 14 days to respond to the claim form, from the date the documentation is sent to you".

I guess I just send a copy of this to the court and advise them that I will let them know when the documentation has been received. It's then 14 days from then?

Need to send Monday to be sure it's on time.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondered if there is any time limit as to how long a claimant can put a hold on a claim after it has been issued?

The claimant and defendant can agree up to 28 days extra by way of CPR15.5 . If further time is required then application would need to be made to the court which would cost the side making the application - £40.00 without a hearing - £80.00 with a hearing.

Have you sent that response regarding the extension of time, to the court yet ? Because, they are supposed to give you a DATE.. not simply say,

RE: Extension of time.

"We can agree to an extension of time as requested. We will agree to allow you an extra 14 days to respond to the claim form, from the date the documentation is sent to you".

Think about it.. under CPR15.5 only 28 days can be agreed between the parties ! They could not send the documents for months !!

I will ask andyorch what you need to be doing here.

BCOBS

I would suggest you telephone the court and just ask them.. "what is the status of the claim please".

BCOBS

The claimant and defendant can agree up to 28 days extra by way of CPR15.5 . If further time is required then application would need to be made to the court which would cost the side making the application - £40.00 without a hearing - £80.00 with a hearing.

Have you sent that response regarding the extension of time, to the court yet ? Because, they are supposed to give you a DATE.. not simply say,

Think about it.. under CPR15.5 only 28 days can be agreed between the parties ! They could not send the documents for months !!

I will ask andyorch what you need to be doing here.

Thanks CB. Yes I sent a copy to the court of the letter they sent me, I also requested them to make a note on the records that to date I had not received anything from them. I notice on the MCOL record there is no mention of this. I sent the letter Royal Mail signed for but it only says letter is in system.

IRM

So long as no attempts have been made to obtain a default judgment..

I have left a message for andyorch to look in on you to advise further.

BCOBS

IRM,

I was concerned at their response to your CPR15.5 request and I have been advised that you should either contact them to agree a "proper date" - or submit a defence based on what you have.

Its irrelevant really because 14 days start from when? They must either agree a new submission date IE up to an extra 28 days or he must submit on time.

Normally when you get that response its open ended because they dont know when or even if they can provide any documentation...I would just submit on time.

Well they wont request judgment yet in view of their open ended response of 14 days...he should submit now.

BCOBS

IRM,

I was concerned at their response to your CPR15.5 request and I have been advised that you should either contact them to agree a "proper date" - or submit a defence based on what you have.

OK thanks CB. I am not sure now what the timescale is for submitting my defence, or whether that has now past?

Perhaps I ought to ring the court and ask them to clarify the position, and then submit a defence anyway.

IRM

OK thanks CB. I am not sure now what the timescale is for submitting my defence, or whether that has now past?

Perhaps I ought to ring the court and ask them to clarify the position, and then submit a defence anyway.

IRM

Rang the court today and they advised me submit my defence.

IRM

Righto, I have left a message for andyorch.. I think your defence should have been in on the 25th. I will just have a read back over your thread to see if that is so.

BCOBS

The particulars of claim read as follows:

The claimant claims the sum of 5232.23 for debt and interest.

on 26/08/02 the defendant entered into an agreement with MBNA for a credit card under reference xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

On 31/08/12 the defendant defaulted on the agreement with an outstanding balance of 4,873.34.

On 24/10/12 the debt of 4,873.34 was assigned to Aktiv Kapital portfolio As Oslo Zug Branch.

Notice of assignment was sent to the defendant in accordance with s136 Law of Property act 1925.

And the claimant claims

1. The sum of 4,873.34

2. Statutory interest pursuant to Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8.00% per annum

from 24/10/12 to 25/9/13 358.89, & thereafter at a daily rate of 1.07 until judgement or sooner payment.

Ok, your timeline is as follows..

Issue date 26th September + 5 days for service = 1st October + 14 days to acknowledge the claim = 15 October + 14 days to submit a defence it that is your intention. So you have until 29 October to do this so there is no immediate hurry.

You should wait on receiving a response from the CPR 31.14 before submitting a defence. So make sure that you acknowledge the claim in order to obtain the extra days.

Ok.. you should have submitted by 29th October, but relied on their incomplete response to the CPR 15.5 request.

I see you have advised that no contact was received from the Claimant until they issued the claim.

So you have not received a Notice of Assignment. You have PPI that you believe was mis sold - I am not sure if that will be of any value to your defence - have you made any attempt to reclaim the PPI ?

Did you receive Default Notice from the original Creditor

Have you been receiving Notice of Arrears from either the original Creditor or the claimant ?

BCOBS

Ok.. you should have submitted by 29th October, but relied on their incomplete response to the CPR 15.5 request. Yes

I see you have advised that no contact was received from the Claimant until they issued the claim. Yes

So you have not received a Notice of Assignment. No nothing at all. You have PPI that you believe was mis sold - I am not sure if that will be of any value to your defence - have you made any attempt to reclaim the PPI ? No, but it was mis sold

Did you receive Default Notice from the original CreditorNo

Have you been receiving Notice of Arrears from either the original Creditor or the claimant ?

No, nothing at all.

IRM